Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's wrong with my koi toilet drain?

Fry

So , now what ?

My debate now, since I have two set ups , I have to see how I can fix one at a time. I can't afford the new sieve's out on the market. So do you think I should bypass my sieve, or by one larger pump and try that. Tomorrow I'm going to cut out the fine stainless Steel mesh inside of one of the sieve's.
    I misunderstood the concept of " gravity fed". Thinking that the pressure would be strong enough to flow through. I was wrong!
    I'm also going to try to block the entrence of my skimmer , where my pump is located. This way the pump will just be sucking from the sieve.
    Any other thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

MCA
    I think you need 3 pumps. One on each BD/Nexus circuit and one for the skimmer. What is the filter on the current skimmer circuit?

Fry

(2) nexus easy 200's

If I understand the question, both setup share as follows:
    B/d. To sieve. To skimmer(a) to nexus easy 200. Second setup is
    B/d. To sieve. To skimmer(b). To nexus easy 200.
    I have just ripped out that very fine ss mesh in both bottom drains , hope that helps a little. Any recommendations on a pump over 5000 gph? I'm looking as I write. I'm going to doing a little rigging this week with some spare pumps see if anything helps.

MCA
    Bare with me on this...

You have two Nexus Eazy 200s on a pond that is around 13,000 gallons (give or take). The max design flow rate for a Nexus 200 is 2,640 US gallons/hr. So if both are running full tilt, that means roughly 5000gph total through filters. So in theory you could have a pond turnover rate of something like every 2.5 hours.

Because koi large messy carp, they generate significant amounts of waste. We try in koi ponds over through the filters around once each hour...with once each two hours being on the edge.

To me, two Nexus 200s with a total of flow of 5000gph is not enough. Let each BD gravity feed to their own separate Nexus. They use a dedicated pump to return the water from each Nexus. You likely only need a 1/8 or 1/6 HP pump to do depending on the plumbing. But totally separate from them you need a filter system on the skimmer circuit. On that circuit you could go for a much faster flow to a shower tower (which you DIY).

I think you would benefit from joining a local club and getting several local koi keepers to come by and see the system and make recommendations on how to improve the system. Needless to say you want recommendations from folks who have been koi keeping a few years and have proven systems.

You can find a directory of koi clubs at Associated Koi Clubs of America.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Fry

8400gals

If my calculations are correct my pond is around 8400 gals.
    I will try all your recommendations, along with finding a near by club.
    Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12