Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kindai Showa - Your Thoughts

Kindai Showa - Your Thoughts

Since there seems to be an absence of any new threads recently, I thought I start a new one. A Kindai Showa I bought last spring and is currently 14 1/2 inches. Unsure of sex at the moment - thinking female though, but then I always think female so who knows. Your thoughts on how this one may develop or anything else would be welcome, especially Brady and JR. The white is as good if not better than in the photo. Sorry for the slight bluriness of the first photo - was hard to focus on all those wonderful red spots while I was shaking......... :smt003

Jumbo

Showa

Hi Dan,

First let me say "thanks" for posting some photos,... always enjoyable to see some of the Koi others are keeping.

This Showa is screaming "male" to me, which is fine, I'm a big fan of male Koi. You're right, the white is striking,... that sumi is not likely to scare you with any surprises, I think it will appear in the obvious places, and won't be a heavy, imposing sumi. My impression from the pics is that the beni is way ahead of the sumi in development, but I can't see enough detail in the photos. Do you have any close-up pics? I would be interested in seeing the shoulder and tail areas close.

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

Brady - tried to post the only other photo I have but couldn't get it to go for some reason. Sent it to you in an email. Hopefully you will be able to see those two areas in question. Thanks.

stunning

stunning kindai you have there I would jitter a bit at a photo op on this one as well. the sumi is all that you are waiting for the rest is great nice nice fish definate one that would make me reach for my wallet.

Thats a very impressive Kindai! Very sharp edges for a fish of that size and has great balance. I can't tell from the photo, but is there any additional sumi thats looks to emerge? What can you tell us about the breeder?

p.s. Looks like a male to me, need a better photo.

Tosai
    Dan.......A kindai like that shouldn't be over on the "Westside". Too much rain! :smt006 :smt006 It'll only fade out those fantastic colors! You should send HIM (I'm a thinkin') over to me to get some decent healthy sunshine! :twisted: :twisted:

Al

Nice kindai, I'd say male too and agree with Brady re. the sumi, particularly the head area, if this comes, as it looks likely to, it will for sure be impressive.
    How old is it and what breeder?

Hi Dan,
    I agree with the concensus that it is a male. a detailed pic would be nice
    to see if my impressions on the black are magoi or asagi based. at this point I'd say magoi. the red is what I call "dangerous" as it is so far ahead of the black that any kind of water situation like high ph could send it away. everything being equal I believe the face should clear up shortly and the koi be good for showing for the next 2-3 seasons.

Jumbo

Showa

Dan has e-mailed me another photo, it isn't in a format I can post - but in the new pic, the Showa doesn't look so obviously male, and also, the beni is a softer orangy red, so opinions may change with a closer look - hopefully Dan has taken the day off work, and is netting this Showa up, and taking some close photos for us all to look over,... this is the responsible thing to do here,... for the group,... way more important than work and careers and that sort of rubbish,... are we asking too much Dan?

Best Wishes,
    Brady

sigh. it's seeing pics of kois like these that make me want to cull my pond and go fish hunting again...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast