Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bakki shower filter and salt and "defractionater"

You say you want to re-design your pond... what is the size of your ponds.. gallons and dimensions.... what filtration do you currently use... and what is the turnover rate through your filtration....what is your climate like and do you use some sort of temperature control for your pond water... water changes and or flow through... how much... how long have you been keeping koi and what are your goals... how many koi do you have now and how many would you like to keep in your ideal pond...you want koi keepers to fear you, so you must intend on building a really good pond system and stocking it with really high caliber koi.... just wondering what you are starting with and where you are on your koi journey

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by powerman View Post
    You say you want to re-design your pond... what is the size of your ponds.. gallons and dimensions.... what filtration do you currently use... and what is the turnover rate through your filtration....what is your climate like and do you use some sort of temperature control for your pond water... water changes and or flow through... how much... how long have you been keeping koi and what are your goals... how many koi do you have now and how many would you like to keep in your ideal pond...you want koi keepers to fear you, so you must intend on building a really good pond system and stocking it with really high caliber koi.... just wondering what you are starting with and where you are on your koi journey

Ok. The ultimate goal as mentioned is to change my name to "Petshop Caliber Koi Master" or "Master of Petshop Koi". Goal being to take a koi I bought at Petsmart all the way to Japanese shows :-)

Now to reality. Dimensions are 2 oval shaped portions that measure 8 foot across by 10 foot. Depth of over 3 feet at deepest. The two ovals are joined by a narrowed area for a footbridge. Same depth. About 4 feet across and 2 feet wide. The entire thing has a ledge 18" deep that extends a foot from pond edge. Using Internet formulas I say it is approx 3450 gallons. Give or take 50 gallons.

Tosai
    Son was pulling iPad away.

Now. Filtration is ONLY a bead filled bio pressurized canister filter.

2 pumps. Pondmaster 2400 gph pumps. 18v UV Clarifier (broken). And want a Bakki style shower filter.

Fish load is currently overrun with comets and goldfish. These will be culled out leaving 3 8 inch koi. And 5 baby koi under 4 inches.

I assume to be able to keep 12 fish in here eventually. Majority koi with 2 to 4 of the best goldfish or comets. They were inherited from a foreclosed neighbors pond. All I wanted was his HUGE koi. I said I would take them. He THEN told me the koi died. Couldn't tell him no then. I assume my water turnover rate is 4800 gph?? Don't know if the calculation is more complex.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12