Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bakki shower filter and salt and "defractionater"

Tosai

Bakki shower filter and salt and "defractionater"

So many questions.

Salt in your koi pond. Who here does this? Is there any benefit? I would like some impartial replies. One YouTube video throwing scoop after scoop of salt directly in with his fish. Of course positive responses come from sites trying to sell salt "tonic" type treatments. They are followed by negative comments about salt but "buy this." By salt imam talking about 0.1% concentration only. No higher unless I feel fish are stressed. Any benefit to salting a pond and then water changes if salinity creeps up?

Defractionater? Educate me.

Bakki Shower Filter. Any pointers? I really am trying to FINALLY get into this hobby the right way and redesign my pond. My "pet store quality" koi are going to take over the world. American, European, and yes Japanese koi keepers FEAR ME!

The Bakki shower I am looking at is a 3 stage one. And I want it to spill over to a trough and water fall. A defractionater can be fed by my bio ball filter.

A whole lot of info. Now pick it apart guys and hurt my feelings :-(

If you search this forum you will find lots of threads discussing these topics in depth.

As to salt, do not use unless you have a reason to use it.

MCA
    Salt in your koi pond. Who here does this? Is there any benefit? I would like some impartial replies. One YouTube video throwing scoop after scoop of salt directly in with his fish. Of course positive responses come from sites trying to sell salt "tonic" type treatments. They are followed by negative comments about salt but "buy this." By salt imam talking about 0.1% concentration only. No higher unless I feel fish are stressed. Any benefit to salting a pond and then water changes if salinity creeps up?
    Anyone can say or do or not do anything on the Internet. You have to qualify your information sources. Ask those YouTubers how many years they have been keeping koi, which clubs they have joined, which koi show awards their fish have won. On this site you have very experienced koi keepers, certified judges, and even the ZNA District Chairman. Very hard to have a better crowd to vet your ideas.

Below is a list of koi reference materials I compiled several years ago. Can't remember any authors pushing routine elevated salinity.

Books
    Koi Kichi
    Koi 2 Kichi
    Koi Living Jewels of the Orient
    Tetra Encyclopedia of Koi
    The Completely Illustrated Guide to Koi
    Koi Appreciation: The First Step
    Kokugyo Volume 1
    Kokugyo Volume 2
    Manual of Koi Health
    Koi Health and Disease 2006 Reload
    Step by Step Advanced Koi Diagnosis & Treatments
    Advanced Koi Care
    The Koi Doctor
    Koi A Handbook on Keeping Nishikigoi
    The Cult of the Koi
    Koi for Dummies
    Textbook of Nishikigoi
    Manual of Nishikigoi
    Modern Nishikigoi
    Nishikigoi, Fancy Koi
    Koi for Home and Garden

Magazines
    KOIUSA (magazine of AKCA)
    Koi (former Koi Ponds and Gardens)
    Koi Carp (magazine of BKKS)
    Nichirin (magazine of ZNA)
    Nishikigoi International

DVD magazines
    KoiFixx (excellent series by Brady)

On-line koi magazines
    Koi-Bito
    Rinko

DVDs and Tapes
    Living Jewels series (10 plust a "Best of")
    Koi Keepers series (5 released)
    Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Koi
    Pond Construction
    Koi Carp Master Class: Starting Out
    Advanced Koi Keeping (oldie but goodie by Brady)
    Project: Koi Pond

Note on the DVDs and tapes: Many of the above titles are in PAL format from Europe. So your computer should be able to play them. But for you to see them on your DVD player and TV, the DVD player may need to be both "region free" and be able to convert PAL to NTSC (North American video standard).
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

MCA
    Defractionater? Educate me.
    I think this is an area where you can educate yourself.

Do some searches on this site and on the Internet in general. You will find foam fractionates have a long history with aquariums where the water is encouraged to generate foam which captures the Dissolved Organic Compounds (DOC). A foam fractionator can be all wet with current or counter current designs. They can also be wet/dry like a trickle tower with a cranked up flow rate. See link below.

6" Phoam Phraxionator Plan - 1500-1800 GPH

MCA
    Bakki Shower Filter. Any pointers? I really am trying to FINALLY get into this hobby the right way and redesign my pond. My "pet store quality" koi are going to take over the world. American, European, and yes Japanese koi keepers FEAR ME!

The Bakki shower I am looking at is a 3 stage one. And I want it to spill over to a trough and water fall. A defractionater can be fed by my bio ball filter.
    Not sure what you mean by 3 stages. Mine is pump fed at the top and the cascades down through 3 boxes of bakki house media. So it is really only one function/stage. See link below and read attachments.

Question regarding Bakki Showers

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Not sure what you mean by 3 stages. Mine is pump fed at the top and the cascades down through 3 boxes of bakki house media. So it is really only one function/stage. See link below and read attachments.

Question regarding Bakki Showers

3 stages just means a max of 3 trays. Would like to try the official Bakki filter media, then looking for other choices for the two trays. Is sand an option with one tray? A screen or cloth o. Bottom strong enough to hold up and keep flow without pouring sand out of the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Algaemaster View Post
    3 stages just means a max of 3 trays. Would like to try the official Bakki filter media, then looking for other choices for the two trays. Is sand an option with one tray? A screen or cloth o. Bottom strong enough to hold up and keep flow without pouring sand out of the holes.
    No.

Try a bio-ball type of plastic media large enough to stay in place. I have the Bacteria House media. It works fine, but I do not consider it it superior. The bio-ball types are much lighter, which can be a good thing when maintenance requires disassembly.

MCA

Thumbs down

Use I" bio balls as they have more surface area per cubic volume. Fill each tray around 1/2full. You want lots of splashing around inside the trays.

Salt tastes good on french fries but I really try and stay away from it for anything else....

With that said if you are having nitrIte problems then you might want some salt while you fix the real problem but other than that I don't see much use for it and certainly not as some sort of weekly water change and then dump salt and other chemicals in regimine.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    Salt tastes good on french fries but I really try and stay away from it for anything else....

With that said if you are having nitrIte problems then you might want some salt while you fix the real problem but other than that I don't see much use for it and certainly not as some sort of weekly water change and then dump salt and other chemicals in regimine.
    Thanks for the info.

Neighbor has a saltwater chlorinator pool so salt may be donated to his cause.

Pond looks awesome today after some rain and clouds for 2 days.

Now found that my UV Clarifier has a piece broken. The threaded collar that covers and seals the quartz sleeve to the bulb ballast. I am trying to find something to fix this as Tetra does not sell his part.

Can't start on shower filter until I fix this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast