Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which Gosanke is 'best'?

Daihonmei

which Gosanke is 'best'?

In this hobby we all tend to start with hi utsuri, doitsu showa, gin rin guess-a-goi etc.
    But as our tastes change we tend to get a more 'subtle and discerning eye' for koi.
    It is absolutely true that all koi breeds are attractive in their own way. And we can even get 'sentimental' about varieties that we first owned and loved to feed and watch in our muti-colored ponds.

Still, time and experience teaches us that Gosanke ( the big three- kohaku, sanke and showa) are the best of the best. It is almost inevitable when you are exposed to enough koi, especially while in Japan, that we surrender to the idea of gosanke.
    But even as those 'clouds part and it all becomes clear' there are still great debates as to WHICH of the big three is best of all!

Kohaku was always IT and as the ZNA saying goes " koi begins with kohaku and ends with kohaku" is a truism that is hard to argue with.

But today the most art of all koi is sanke-- it represents Japanese art at its finest and can be as simple ( stepping stones in a stream) or as complicated as you wish to get. It is the ultimate living jewel to many expert hobbyists.
    Then there is Showa-- I'd dare say that " koi experience begins with showa and ends with a great showa".

JR

That's like asking who is prettiest? Blonde,brunette, or red head.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    That's like asking who is prettiest? Blonde,brunette, or red head.
    Hey Dizzy, how about black? I think black is the prettiest.....

Quote Originally Posted by dinh View Post
    Hey Dizzy, how about black? I think black is the prettiest.....
    Hello Dinh.......I don't personally judge women on hair color alone.....but I don't think JR or his ilk would allow a karasugoi to stand as grand champion.

There is a purity to kohaku that no other koi can match. The sumi adds some variability and excitement...almost like a gamble. It is interesting to see if all three colors can appear in desired places and finish at the same time. But, even showa and sanke rely on a proper kohaku pattern to be considered desireable. I consider a great kohaku to be the pinnacle of the hobby...no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    There is a purity to kohaku that no other koi can match. The sumi adds some variability and excitement...almost like a gamble. It is interesting to see if all three colors can appear in desired places and finish at the same time. But, even showa and sanke rely on a proper kohaku pattern to be considered desireable. I consider a great kohaku to be the pinnacle of the hobby...no doubt about it.
    I dunno I like a good kohaku as much as the next person......but his description is a little creepy.........sort of like the blonde haired.. blue eyed..super race. Great is great and shouldn't be subjected to such a narrow definition IMO..

Jumbo
    Right now today in 2012 Kohaku is best by far,... Koi are a man-made fish type,... made from cross breeding and refining, and refining, and refining. As of today Kohaku are by far the most 'refined' of all Koi breeds. There is no other patterned Koi that breeds as cleanly and as true as Kohaku,... and then to be grown to adult size and win in competition there is no other Koi breed that comes close to the numbers of awards won by Kohaku in Koi shows across the world.

A high quality Kokaku parent set will breed 100% offspring with 1 or 2 colors only,... red or white, or red and white. There is no other Koi breed that can match this level of refinement.

Given what Koi are, that makes Kohaku 'best'.

Brady Brandwood

30 day old Kohaku fry,... look at the consistency.

Kohaku siblings at 18 months.

More Kohaku siblings at 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    Hello Dinh.......I don't personally judge women on hair color alone.....but I don't think JR or his ilk would allow a karasugoi to stand as grand champion.
    Women? My friend, when I mentioned black, I meant Kumonryu Scaless Koi... I love Kumonryu.

--D

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Brandwood View Post
    Right now today in 2012 Kohaku is best by far,... Koi are a man-made fish type,... made from cross breeding and refining, and refining, and refining. As of today Kohaku are by far the most 'refined' of all Koi breeds. There is no other patterned Koi that breeds as cleanly and as true as Kohaku,... and then to be grown to adult size and win in competition there is no other Koi breed that comes close to the numbers of awards won by Kohaku in Koi shows across the world.

A high quality Kokaku parent set will breed 100% offspring with 1 or 2 colors only,... red or white, or red and white. There is no other Koi breed that can match this level of refinement.

Given what Koi are, that makes Kohaku 'best'.

Brady Brandwood

30 day old Kohaku fry,... look at the consistency.

Kohaku siblings at 18 months.

More Kohaku siblings at 18 months.

Very pretty...

Brady, I want to have a tosai kohaku from you. Can I find your best kohaku on your website?

-D

[QUOTE=Brady Brandwood;198569]Right now today in 2012 Kohaku is best by far,... Koi are a man-made fish type,... made from cross breeding and refining, and refining, and refining. As of today Kohaku are by far the most 'refined' of all Koi breeds. There is no other patterned Koi that breeds as cleanly and as true as Kohaku,... and then to be grown to adult size and win in competition there is no other Koi breed that comes close to the numbers of awards won by Kohaku in Koi shows across the world. [QUOTE]

Kohaku's blessing is also its curse. Very refined and very beautiful for sure but not much room left for improvement. Your koi are beautiful and I tip my hat. Will the simplicity of kohaku be overtaken by a more complicated and challenging to breed koi? Time will tell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast