Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New purchases at Kodama Koi Farm NJ

New purchases at Kodama Koi Farm NJ

Just wanted to share my 2 new purchases from the new Kodama Koi Farm in New Jersey. Really nice place. Ok, please understand that I can not afford show quality koi but I think I can pick nice ones in my price range. The Kuro Goshiki is from Aoki and the Showa is from Isa. Both are only around 5 inches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New purchases at Kodama Koi Farm NJ-koi-003.jpg   New purchases at Kodama Koi Farm NJ-koi-005.jpg  

never been to their new facility in NJ but have been to hawaii.

would your choices have been made the same had you not known the breeders?

why the interest in sumi based Koi? water? or just luck of the draw as to what appealed to you on the day?

since you chose them why don't you share what you saw in them

Well dick, the I chose the Kuro type Goshiki simply because I like they way they look more so than the grayer based ones plus I have a Goromo Goshiki with a gray base. Funny thing about the Showa is it had been netted with the Goshiki and was going to be placed in a higher grade tank by the dealer. After examining it I decided to take it as I like Isa Showa. My pond water is very, very hard and seems very good for the development of sumi as my other showas have beautiful sumi. The beni needs to be helped a little with spirulina. I have no luck with Hikari-metallics, color fades within a week.

Here is my 2 other Showas. Ginrin is from Quality Koi Farm (NKF) and other is from Sakai Hiroshima. Hard to tell from pics but sumi is very nice. I know both have too much sumi on the fins. The beni pattern on the Sakai is lame and he's too thin but I like the sumi pattern. My very hard water seems to be good for sumi and shiroji.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New purchases at Kodama Koi Farm NJ-good-1.jpg   New purchases at Kodama Koi Farm NJ-good-2.jpg   New purchases at Kodama Koi Farm NJ-good-3.jpg  

I like the fact that your wise to your water and stock accordingly. I also appreciate you sharing your selections with us.

do yourself a favor next time you run across a hikari/metalic that catches your eye. leave it in a blue bowl covered up with a net for 10 minutes. when you come back to inspect it make sure the black has NOT turned grey. This is a method to insure a better quality for show. If the black holds true and you can see the strong hikari in the sunlight ( no decision here inside a building) then I think you may have a better chance of enjoying their presence in your pond. If you decide to show, the sumi will not fade when transported to a show.
    Dick Benbow

Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    I know both have too much sumi on the fins. .
    Oh I don't think so at all. I my opinion your best bet for nice motoguro starts with completely black fins at that age with maybe just a trace of white around the edges.

See post 146 in this thread

Nisei Koi Farm/Quality Koi 2007 before and after photos
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Jim interestingly enough in what you pointed out in showa pecs is also applicable in asagi. many prefer a tight motoaka but as long as the fin is full of red with white edge, the outcome is in your favor.

Thanks Dick. Over the last couple years, I had purchased a good quality Yamabuki and Kujaku from NKF. Both color faded very quickly. I am convinced it's my super hard water. You could almost watch the color fade. I gave away the Kujaku and will probably do the same with the Yamabuki now that I got a really nice Karashi.

Hi Jim. I hope I have the same motoguro success with my NKF Showa. Matt said he is a male. Again, hard to tell from pics but he is a very imposing koi. Really nice body for a male. I have a small pond but he is growing well. I really like him. If my new Isa Showa grows and turns out well, I will probably get rid of the Sakai FF Showa. I know the importance of not overstocking especially now they are growing large.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast