Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Southern California temperature

Fry

Southern California temperature

Hi

I am planning to make a small pond next month (July). Do you have any advices in keeping a healthy pond since I do not have a true winter here in S. California?
    I am looking forward for the answer such as parasite treatment, feeding, maintenance on year long basis, thanks in advance

your request is very "open ended". things we could comment on is actual gallonage of the pond. goldfish or koi. there are people in Socal that do very well with moderate temperatures. If you plan a pond you should plan a QT tank.
    they go hand in hand for Koi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cabin-Crew View Post
    Hi
    I am planning to make a small pond next month (July). Do you have any advices in keeping a healthy pond since I do not have a true winter here in S. California?
    I am looking forward for the answer such as parasite treatment, feeding, maintenance on year long basis, thanks in advance
    Best advice is to find a Southern California Koi club near to the area where you live and visit and talk to some pond owners.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Best advice is to find a Southern California Koi club near to the area where you live and visit and talk to some pond owners.
    I'll second that idea. I joined a club, visited every pond and attended every meeting I cold for over a year before I started to dig. The experience saved me a huge amount of money and time, plus I made friends who could help me figure out problems when they occurred. A good idea for you and for your fish.

SoCal has a lot of koi clubs. Contact members of ZNA SoCal or San Diego Koi CLub.

--Dinh

Fry
    Thank you all.
    By the way I am going to make a 800 gallon koi pond. I have been rearing them inside the house and I have no problem with diseases as they never come up or because of the weather fluctuation, it's pretty stays the same inside the house.

And I have been hearing nightmares with Spring or winter, that's why I want to know what are the procedures of having a pond because having a tank inside the house is easy to control (weather wise)

Thank you all.
    By the way I am going to make a 800 gallon koi pond. I have been rearing them inside the house and I have no problem with diseases as they never come up or because of the weather fluctuation, it's pretty stays the same inside the house.
    And I have been hearing nightmares with Spring or winter, that's why I want to know what are the procedures of having a pond because having a tank inside the house is easy to control (weather wise)
    Two comments:

800 gallons is too small for a "Koi pond".

Unlike an aquarium, with a pond the need for bio filtration changes through out the year. What is adequate for the month of March may not be enough for the month of August.

Thank you all.

Do you have space for a bigger pond?