Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Tri-State ZNA first annual show, a great success

Daihonmei

Tri-State ZNA first annual show, a great success

There is nothing like being around enthusiastic koi people! And I would be hard pressed to find a more enthusiastic group that the folks at Tri-State ZNA!
    Philip Grey and his family are truly giving people. I felt at home instantly when I arrived and felt like I had known folks forever. That is hospitality.
    The venue was excellent and the 2 inch astro turf floor was a welcome sight at an English style koi show with over 100 entries!
    The fish were way way above what I would have expected in a first show!! The quality of fish was well above average and the big girls were-- well, often an overused word --- but, amazing.
    As for the people? Philip and family AAA+ people. Hard working, always calm and the ladies were gracious beyond belief. Thank you!
    Water quality, remarkable and top notch. Even when it got warm on Saturday, the fish were absolutely comfortable.
    The exhibitors were all eager to learn (a true ZNA environment) and all the questions that I and the other judge’s fielded were intelligent and showed a deeper understanding of their koi than the usual koi keeper. Very encouraging for the chapter moving forward.
    And now to a guy who impressed me to no end the entire weekend. I will now only call him 'Mr. Story ' as his has my complete respect. Bill jumped on any loose end he saw in this first show and helped in so many ways I think I lost count! At one point he was running a projector, taking a picture and he was IN that picture!! LOLs. How he did that I still don't know!
    Special thanks to Joe/Dennis and their netting crew! They were flawless when it came to handling the exhibitor's pets. Really skilled and good at being in the action and out of the way!
    Our Judges, Dick Thomas (quietly one of the best) and our new candidate worked well together. I was honored to run the crew. When a team clicks, they click- and we moved thru the show with everything falling into place. A prediction-- our newest ZNA candidate judge Duc Nguyen is going to be a star judge in America. Honestly in one show, he exhibited the skills, presence and organization we usually don't see even in second year certified judges. Very very impressive. We have a great find in Duc and I hope to work with him often thru the years alongside our other stars like Junichi and Dick Thomas.
    The fish-- I'm sure everyone has seen pictures of the jumbos and the GC and reserve/mature. These kinds of entries reflect on the eye of the exhibitors. And the message is-- “we in Tri-State ZNA love beautiful koi and we strive to buy good koi and make them great"!
    I say in response, “thanks for sharing"!
    Special thanks to Matt McCann for supplying the ZNA America award fish and to Mr. Hernandez for his quiet instruction to many of the koi kichi there.
    Enjoyed talking to Joe from Black water and his right hand for the vigorous chat about Beni!
    Good to see my old friend Joe Z and to meet so many new friends. In ZNA we have a motto, very old one and very appropriate to end with-
    “Friendship thru scales". Indeed. Best, Jim Reilly DC ZNA NA

P.S. to Brenda --- I’m 97% confident that I included everyone I should in this letter! J But there’s a 3% chance I missed someone! If I did, Its because the weekend was a whirl wind!
    P.S. I finally met Brutus in person!! What a great pleasure! Only reget, We didn't get much time to talk as duty called!

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Special thanks to Matt McCann for supplying the ZNA America award
    Sonds like it was a great time and congrats to everyone involved!

What is a ZNA America award?? I don't *think* I've seen one but maybe I have but this morning I can't recall having seen such an award???
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Jim, I think it was US ZNA District Chair award.

Very happy to see another ZNA chapter has a great success show.

--Dinh

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by dinh View Post
    Jim, I think it was US ZNA District Chair award.

Very happy to see another ZNA chapter has a great success show.

--Dinh

Right Dinh, it used to be called the District Chairman award. But I change it in my first term to ' The ZNA America award' as the proceeds come from donations plus a percentage of all the chapter's dues.
    There have been three of these awards so far---

first was for a tank of tosai, Nisai that represented a nice selection of varieties, each obviously cared for well and nicely finished. I assumed it was a novice and all I wanted to know was that it was a ZNA member's tank- it was so I awarded a nice ginrin showa from Nisei koi farm. Turns out it was the tank of Joe and sherry white! Joe was an offical and very busy so rather then bring out the big girls he brought his smaller fish. We had a good laugh.

Second was for another tosai tank in SoCal ZNA show in March. NICE eye for pattern, this beginner. Turns out he was mentored by Nancy M ( no wonder the good eye!). But the winner was dedicated all on his own, and over the moon with a jumbo tosai picked out by the breeder for the award ( Dainichi).

Third was the weekend past, another novice tank with a representation of varieties-- some better than others but pattern was strong. That was Tim, who I think was quite happy to receive a goshiki tategoi chosen by Matt McCann, Nisei koi farms, once again. If the 'maker' likes the fish, I like the fish! And I LIKED that fish!

I hope to start and continue this tradition of a 'gift from the sister chapters' to a member of the hosting ZNA chapter each year instead of the crystal I used to bring to shows.
    I try to purchase from breeders ( Japanese and American) that;
    A) produce a good tosai with potential so that the recipient can work on the fish and bring it back for next year's competition
    B) a dealer than supports the idea of ZNA and the mission statement of ZNA

Dinh, I was thinking after five years we could show case the fish that have one these awards over the years. I have the 'baby pictures' and the future shows will hopefully have the adult versions of these fish.
    JR

Nisai
    Wish I could have joined the festivities!!! Unfortunately timeing was not good..... Next year I'm there!!!! Congrats to all the winners
    Ben

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by ben5020 View Post
    Wish I could have joined the festivities!!! Unfortunately timeing was not good..... Next year I'm there!!!! Congrats to all the winners
    Ben
    Ben, you would have had a blast! JR

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Ben, you would have had a blast! JR
    I have been battling spawns for the past two weekends, out of five females only two spawned, the ochiba was a great success, the Showa appeared to be huge but ended up with a tiny hatch rate, so frustrating.... Should have attended the show. The yamabuki, kohaku, and kujaku have no desire to spawn, I appreciate what goes into this hobby from a newbie to a wannabe breeder!!!! Lots of work and too many uncontrablle variables to deal with..... live and learn
    Ben

what a "high" from this weekend, a great experience!

I was stoked to be nominated by my chapter for the judging spot and honored to be part of this judging team. I learned so much this weekend in koi and so much more by observing JR and Dick. Being my home club's first show made it all the more special.

kudos to all the members and volunteers who help make this show a reality. can't wait for next year!

Duc