Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Baby Koi

Tosai

Baby Koi

I must have almost 50 baby Koi in my pond now. They seem to be in three sizes. The largest of the three sizes are starting to get their colors. The other babies are all black. Are baby Koi always born black?

I know I'm going to have to remove many of them as soon as they get bigger. If anyone is the Chicago area needs Koi, let me know later this summer when they are large enough to take out. They will be free to a bood home.

Since most of my Koi are still very young and small, and only one is 16+ inches. I'm now guessing she's a female.

How old/large do Koi need to be to reproduce?

I'm post some pics as soon as I can.

Thanks.
    Pamela _(:-)

Daihonmei
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bbdrag0n View Post
    I must have almost 50 baby Koi in my pond now. They seem to be in three sizes. The largest of the three sizes are starting to get their colors. The other babies are all black. Are baby Koi always born black?

I know I'm going to have to remove many of them as soon as they get bigger. If anyone is the Chicago area needs Koi, let me know later this summer when they are large enough to take out. They will be free to a bood home.

Since most of my Koi are still very young and small, and only one is 16+ inches. I'm now guessing she's a female.

How old/large do Koi need to be to reproduce?

Good morning! Koi are color mutations of common carp that have been away from common carp long enough that they have their own gene pool of colors. But even with all the colors, their basic colors are white or black. And then within the two colors are variations from black-- grey, red, orange and blue and in white--- patterns of the rainbow-- reds, oranges, yellows, blacks, blues etc ( in otherwords more black color mutations).

So your 'black' fry might remain black or they might be black based fish that give way to other colors depending on their genes. But it is normal for black based fish to be black fry at least to start with.

male koi can breed after their first season ( age 18 months to 2 years) and females can take a bit longer to produce viable eggs ( 2- 3 years with 3 years being normal in four season grown fish).
    But koi are not like tropical fish-- they are of course egg layers and usually they need the right time of year and a few common triggers to begin spawning--- a massive rainfall or water change, a shift in water temperature and of course a sync with the opposite sex at the right time.

JR

I'm post some pics as soon as I can.

Thanks.
    Pamela _(:-)
    Your most welcome-- watch your 'breeders' for any damage they may have incurred from spawning.

Tosai

babies

Here are pics of the baby Koi that I promised. colors are started to show.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baby Koi-dsc_0001-001.jpg   Baby Koi-dsc_0002-001.jpg   Baby Koi-dsc_0003-001.jpg   Baby Koi-dsc_0004-001.jpg   Baby Koi-dsc_0005-001.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bbdrag0n View Post
    Here are pics of the baby Koi that I promised. colors are started to show.
    They are looking cute! Some time size does not matter but age of the Koi...