Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bakki Temp loss?

Tosai

Bakki Temp loss?

Hi all,my first post here. :roll: Have been lurking and learning for sometime now.
    Anyhow, can anybody tell me who has a Bakki Showered system running on an outside pond please tell me what kind of temp loss you have noticed since running one? Many thanks.

8) Col

testing

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Colin, don't even dream about using an unprotected bakki Shower in the UK.
    You'll either make yourself bankrupt with heating bills or freeze the koi to death.
    An enclosure needs making.
    maurice.

Tosai
    No worries Maurice. Wasn't intending to do so. But out of interest with all the talk about them and the posssiblity of the chilling effect I was curious. If and when I can afford mine,I shall build an enclosure with a couple of rads in there to keep it all snug for the winter. :lol:

8) Col

bcak in the good old days before heat, when I ran my trickle tower in the spring, I was alwas 5 degrees lower than my cohorts with conventional systems.

you can have a similar system.. drill holes in a plate of plastic put it on top of the tower, check that it delivers water evenly, splash water over any media holding a decent surface area, if worried about the temp slowing down the growth then build a port hole and use a vent fan to move the co2 out and pull oxygen in.
    remember not to block up the system with feed.
    remember that a filter takes time to be effective as it takes time to colonise with the different type of bacteria. give it 8 weeks, give it a chance.
    make a mesh filter to screen particluate and set up a self cleaning system on it.
    clean it to waste to the garden. then you can enjoy.

bacci heat loss

Hi colin
    how's things, I might be able to give you some figures first pond single shower flow rate over shower 4000 gallons this is covered by a tiled roof construction only open at the sides. The shower has a cover around it to stop wind chill. This is heated by oil, to 18 c degress all winter and the pond has polycarbonate 10 inch above water level, but have to say at the moment not the best fit it could be. And with this mild winter so far the cost for this 4000 gallon pond is around two pound aday.
    Pond 2 is 3500 gallon double shower with a flow of 4400 gallon a hour the bacci shower is covered with polycarbonate with the standard brackets, then polycarbonate over the pond completly. Now this pond surprisingly is heated by only a 2 kw heater fed from the skimmer by a 1500 gallon an hour pump.The pond is heated at the moment to 14.5 degrees it takes several hours to drop the 0.5 degrees for the heater to re heat the water. which then only takes the heater 3/4 to a hour to achieve 14.5 degrees. so pretty effective I think. So do your most to cover everything involved with the pond and I think the bacci shower is pretty economical. hope this helps mate keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    bcak in the good old days before heat, when I ran my trickle tower in the spring, I was alwas 5 degrees lower than my cohorts with conventional systems.
    I had no idea that there is a temperature loss in incorporating TT. Being in Hawaii (temperate climate), I'm assuming that the temperature swings are nothing to worry about. I think our largest temperture swings each day is between 60*F-75*(winter) 72*-88*(summer). Am I wrong in assuming this? Sorry, I'm not trying to brag about our weather (For all who are raving snow now).

Akai-San: If those are water temp swings, I'd be concerned. But, I expect those are air temps, in which case I doubt your water temps in a deep pond are varying more than 5-6 degrees on the "worst" days.

3-Tier Bakki covered in Poly Carbonate sheeting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bakki Temp loss?-enclosed-poly-carb-.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast