Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Crooked tails: Cull all?

Crooked tails: Cull all?

Hobbiest with question regarding fry with crooked tails: Should they all be culled? Or should the ones with only a slight misalignment be kept to see how they develop? To put it another way, can those that are just a bit little off grow out of it?

Also, are the fry with crooked tails all hatched that way? Or is it a defect that they develop? Thanks.

Cull them all. They won't get better, just bigger and harder to cull.

I agreed with Dizzyfish...I would cull all with major defects. Another common defect is crooked head. It also depends on your goal as a breeder. Are you trying to raise show quality fish or pond quality? Show quality fish can NOT have any defects...no matter how small.

Sunny

Thanks for the responses. My core question was, "Can they grow out of it (having a slightly misaligned tail)?" Y'all have basically answered that, "No", and no one else has offered a differing opinion. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    ... It also depends on your goal as a breeder. Are you trying to raise show quality fish or pond quality?

Sunny
    In 20 years, I've never taken a koi to a show and don't plan to. That said, I want the best quality koi I can get (within a modest budget). That's partly why I'm trying spawning my own (that and for the fun of it). I use my own criteria for what looks good to me, not what looks good to a judge. If a koi has a wide body, good size, and great colors and pattern, I may overlook a shimi, an imperfect fin, or other defect. That said, I'd estimate 99% of what are commonly called "pond quality" koi wouldn't make the cut for my pond.

I tried to find you a chart on body shapes for fry, I had found it on the web years ago. I find it very handy when it comes to culling my fry. All koi fry with any deformities should be culled.
    Poor Body shapes should get culled next.
    I have a huge koi with a bent head. She spent the fish two years of her life in the bottom of a bog type filter. When I found her she was pale almost colorless, no sun. Now she is huge but ugly. I can't find anyone to take her and I just can't put her down for being ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. My core question was, "Can they grow out of it (having a slightly misaligned tail)?" Y'all have basically answered that, "No", and no one else has offered a differing opinion. Thanks.

In 20 years, I've never taken a koi to a show and don't plan to. That said, I want the best quality koi I can get (within a modest budget). That's partly why I'm trying spawning my own (that and for the fun of it). I use my own criteria for what looks good to me, not what looks good to a judge. If a koi has a wide body, good size, and great colors and pattern, I may overlook a shimi, an imperfect fin, or other defect. That said, I'd estimate 99% of what are commonly called "pond quality" koi wouldn't make the cut for my pond.
    I am a backyard breeder also. What do you breed? Any pictures/videos to share? I have posted the result of my sanke spawn in another thread. Would love see what other breeders are doing. My hope is that we can share our experiences here to help educate each other on the subject.

Regards,
    Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    I am a backyard breeder also. What do you breed? Any pictures/videos to share? I have posted the result of my sanke spawn in another thread. Would love see what other breeders are doing. My hope is that we can share our experiences here to help educate each other on the subject.
    Sunny: I just posted a chronicle of my spawning experience so far this year in the "Backyard Doitsu Spawn 2012" post.

I also checked out your spawning post. Looks like you've already got some good growth there already. Except for the Tobi, my fry aren't that large yet. The Sanke adults you have are really nice looking. Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
    Sunny: I just posted a chronicle of my spawning experience so far this year in the "Backyard Doitsu Spawn 2012" post.

I also checked out your spawning post. Looks like you've already got some good growth there already. Except for the Tobi, my fry aren't that large yet. The Sanke adults you have are really nice looking. Matt
    Thanks! I am sticking with sanke because it's easy to cull and they are one of my favorite varieties. Since the first culling, which I kept about 1/4 of them, they have been growing very nicely. Hopefully, I will have about ten fish worth keeping until next year. I will update my post soon. Look forward to seeing your update as well.

Sunny

Our friends down under (Australia) used to have a "defect" chart posted on their website. I don't know if its there any more, but maybe Bradley will see this thread and reply if it is.

As to culling "major" defects... with nishikigoi ALL defects are major. If it looks anything less than perfect it always will. If it does look perfect, you are probably missing something, and if it looks incredible, it might be a nice pet someday. Even "pond grade" koi aren't that easy to breed unless you have exceptional parent stock and a very practiced eye, so enjoy the learning curve first and foremost.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma