Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Project Koi Kin

Tategoi

Project Koi Kin

Hello Members of Koi Bito,

First of all, I don't know if this is allowed on this forum, if it is not then please remove it and please take this as an apology in advance.

I'm starting a project and I would like your help. Project "Koi Kin" is going to be a database dedicated for koi (and maybe other animals in the future) and I would like to get your inputs, thoughts, ideas, comments and encouragement to help me build a very nice koi database.

Goal: A FREE koi database for the world to use, view and will be online.
    *It would be an honor if real breeders use this database.

Reason: I have been on this forum for about 2.5 years now and have grown a lot in this hobby. This is something that I can offer to the koi hobby and it will greatly benefit it.

Check it out:

Kintree
    Kintree
    Kintree
    Kintree

Background: I'm a programmer with very little web design knowledge. I will be using Ruby on Rails to develop this website and I do have the data model mapped out.

Future wants: Funding, ideas, help, testers and anything else.

Thank you everyone for reading this and for the support. Right now the data are not linked together. I will eventually link the koi to breeders, koi to snapshots and snapshots and koi to photo.

I want the snapshot to be a timeline of the koi as we all know that koi changes as they grow. This is so that the user can update their koi with photos, comments and more.

Again, my intention is to offer a free koi database.

Thanks
    Kou Chang
    Akitsushima Tombo

It could be something for a hobby breeder over many generations. I am not sure of the value of the application in Koi in Japan or worldwide. However, in Australia, 90% of the koi hobby is backyard bred and it might have some value. It looks to need a good deal development work, but would be interested to provide some input.

Outside of Koi, there are a number of pedigree/kin applications and web based tools that are specific to that species. No doubt you have had a look at these. I have not yet found one that can be easily adopted to koi or other fish species.

Tategoi
    Thanks for the reply. I spent about 3+ weeks planing the website and what you saw was 1 hours worth of actual programming. As of right now, all I have is the idea of how I am going to map out the data. I plan to work on this every week and have it looking OK by the end of this year.

I also hope that this is not just for breeders, but for those who wants to update their koi and share it with the world.

What do ya'll think about having "private" as an option? Maybe someone has a secrete koi project that they don’t want release yet?

Quote Originally Posted by chang26k View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I spent about 3+ weeks planing the website and what you saw was 1 hours worth of actual programming. As of right now, all I have is the idea of how I am going to map out the data. I plan to work on this every week and have it looking OK by the end of this year.

I also hope that this is not just for breeders, but for those who wants to update their koi and share it with the world.

What do ya'll think about having "private" as an option? Maybe someone has a secrete koi project that they don’t want release yet?
    Private and a function to limit who can see and who cannot. I have collabrative breeding work for example.

Nisai
    It would be cool if you listed the breeders name, location , experience, and pictures of their breeder koi, also add a rating system with 5 stars for the customers who where happy or disappointed with the development of their koi like a product review for breeders ,so breeders can see where they need improvement & customers get a feel for what they are getting . Another idea list show locations and dates with a link to the breeders coming. & if you want to steal my idea set up an online auction house for the breeders top picked koi to be sold, you could raise Money for your site with a % cut from the seller setting up a paypal thing is easy if you can program this, but make it like 1 koi for one breeder so you avoid a breeder just causing market saturation that's all the ideas I have for today . Good luck o your best bet for help is go to a comunity college and post help needed programing job & pay some students to help you , beer & pizza work wonders .

Tategoi
    Since this is a database that offers a timeline/snapshot of the koi, a hobbyist can post update to their koi and that will reflect how that koi grew and others may judge accordingly to their skills. This also means that one may research a particular bloodline before buying a koi since it will have many offspring of the same oyagoi. Right now I have not "hook up" the database and link them all together yet, but I will eventually do that. Also, I don't want this to website to be an auction website. Right now, the sole purpose of this website is to be a free koi database for the public to use to further educate and promote koi.

Tategoi
    Hookup

Hookup

Here is the latest update. I hooked up Breeders and Kois.
    Snapshot is now working. I'll have to redo the data.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by chang26k; 07-23-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Snapshot got fixed.

I agree with your ideas...

I'm looking forward to seeing this come together.