Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Chagoi Pigment Behavior

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    really interesting. But even more interesting was a study that compared wild carp physiology to domestic carp's. the blood chemistry was different, the gycolgen storage was different, the shape and positing of swim bladders was different, the vitamin storage in the brain was different, the skin thickness was different and the chromosome/allele count was different. These can be explained by environment, diet and life style in many cases- but they are differences. JR

Hello JR,

Is there any chance a copy of the study is available. Such a study would be difficult to find for nishikigoi, but I would surely like to read the study you reference.

Thank you,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    SuperStorm Sandy blew cold temperatures our way, resulting in the pond temps falling daily. This morning the pond was an unseasonable 67F. (It's the first week of November, but might as well be January.) The Chagoi is now a golden tan with a thin edge of charcoal sumi on each scale. It is a pretty color phase. She is a bright spot in the pond, contrasting well with the gosanke, and nothing like the dull, dusky fish that was difficult to see as recently as August. This changing of color adds interest to having a plain koi. She is earning her space in the pond.
    Hi Mike,

I've noticed similar seasonal color changes on my 4 year old, 72cm ginrin chagoi (purchased as a 6" tosai at the CFKS a few years back ) and always thought it was simply a temperature based reaction in the fish's pigment cells. She goes a nice, almost 'butter-scotch/light toffee' color when temperatures drop into the low 60's, and my pond water is a very unseasonably cool 62 degrees today here in extreme north Florida.

I've noticed my yamabuki ogon tends to 'pale out' a bit during the winter as well. Periodic changes in the fishes' appearance like these always add interest to a pond for me, and seem to mark the inexorable, cyclical change of seasons similar the shifts in color of the trees and other vegetation.

Mike our ponds have similar temps. We were watching the doitsu chagoi that I got from Chris swimming yesterday afternoon. The summer’s black has mostly gone and now the copper is back on display, quite a sight in the sunlight. In the opposite sense, I can see that the black is starting to come up on the bekko and the sanke.

The pond temperature is staying in the range of 72-74F, and my Chagoi has become as dark as she was at the temperature peak of last Summer. She has gone from a highly visible bright tan to a brown with sumi smudges on the scale edges in a period of 3 weeks. It is easy to overlook her in the pond. This color change coincides with losing the shade structure over the pond when a severe storm came through. With the nearby pecan tree still leafless, the fish are receiving more direct sun than they ever would in 'normal' conditions. I believed the color change was temperature driven, but now am thinking that light intensity is also a factor.

The debris of the old structure has been carted off and a new shade structure is in process. (Thank you, Chubb insurance!) It may be a couple of weeks before the special order shadecloth arrives. It will be interesting to see if she lightens some when shade returns.

Good thread relating to reticulation.

I was asked a question about the origin of Chagoi, so bumping up this thread for the comments made about that.

The color change could be a camo response...like the ability of Oscars , Rock Bass and Smallmouth Bass changing their color to match their surroundings I have caught rockies and smallies on light bottomed creeks that were light green and then caught them in the river where they were almost black....and I had a foot long oscar who would blanch almost white when angry ...my chagoi dont change color in my black liner pond..they are just plain dark brown....of course they are all home spawned culls...lol no show winners here but thet are my hand feeding buddies.....

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910