Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tosai Showa

Tosai Showa

These are just a few of this years tosai from Kleinholz Koi Farms showa spawn. We used a Dainichi female showa and Dainichi bloodline males that we had bred two years ago. There were a total of 30,000 black fry released into the mud pond. We reduced the number to just 7000 after the first cull. These showa tosai are only three weeks old and have already grown to two inches long, just goes to show that low stocking density really helps growth. I also attached a picture of the female showa to show that in breeding a parent koi's pattern means nothing. Its all about body conformation and the traits that are present on the parent koi and how those traits get passed on to the offspring.

Hope everyone enjoys the post,

Kurt Kleinholz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tosai Showa-two-inch-showas.jpg   Tosai Showa-dsc_8370.jpg  
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.

Weekend after next for the PNKCA convention, I'm presenting a program entitled " is domestic a dirty word". I'll be addressing
    those efforts here in the USA to produce show fish to compete with those that are bred in japan. good luck with your operation.
    Wonder if the red clay of oklahoma helps the beni?

Thanks, if you would like to include some information on our farm in your presentation I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have. As far as the red clay helping out the beni I'm not sure, I would have to experiment with some different clays to find out. I do know that it seems to help sumi develop somewhat faster.

They look nice Kurt. Just as a friendly FYI......I think I'd stick with calling them fry for a while longer and then go with fingerling before calling them tosai. I don't think of a 2" koi as tosai, but if you have 7,000 like that then you should get some decent one IMO. Kudos.
    Mitch

Mitch,

Very true, its just hard for me to think of a 2" koi as a fry though when they start out at about an 1/4" long. Yeah those were the keepers out of two net fulls of about 20 koi each, the numbers of high quality koi were really high with this spawn. So its a really good start hopefully they keep it up.

Thanks,
    Kurt

Good effort and very inspiring...Now We need to make JR breed too...he he he! So he can be a grand daddy to the fry!

Nice examples please keep us updated on how many you ultimately keep.

Nisai
    Just my 2 cents.... I had a very successful Showa spawn last year, 200k fry, I would say that I have 100 "tosai" out of those 100 "tosai" 15 have a great future, that is if the birds and mother nature don't consume them from the mud pond!!!!
    Ben

We will be culling these showa for the second time this weekend so I will try to post more pictures by at least Tuesday of next week. As to how many will be kept, I would assume that there will be at least 500-1000 that are worth anything. As for true tategoi there might be 50-125 that will be kept until nisai and then that number will go down to around 10-20 koi

Quote Originally Posted by koibreeder13 View Post
    We will be culling these showa for the second time this weekend so I will try to post more pictures by at least Tuesday of next week. As to how many will be kept, I would assume that there will be at least 500-1000 that are worth anything. As for true tategoi there might be 50-125 that will be kept until nisai and then that number will go down to around 10-20 koi
    Sorry for taking so long to update this. Here are some pictures of a few of the showa we kept during the second cull. We kept around 2000 showa all of which were 3-4 inches long. Hope everyone enjoys.

Kurt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tosai Showa-imag0151-1.jpg   Tosai Showa-imag0149-1.jpg   Tosai Showa-imag0161-1.jpg   Tosai Showa-imag0164-1.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast