Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: backyard breed

backyard breed

these are 2.5 months old, I bred in my yard, I still cant figure out how they turned out this way, I had a platinum female and gin rin showas as male, I think I had a beni kumonryu male as well, I did 6 breedings this years so I forget what exactly I did backyard breed-2012-.jpgbackyard breed-2012-b.jpgbackyard breed-2012-c.jpg
    dh1 likes this.

He he he! What do U feed them with??? They look a bit like puffer fish...

Body shapes are not good on several. The ones with more acceptable bodies may be male?? Still, I am curious about the sumi. If it behaves like Kumonryu/Matsukawabake sumi, you may have created the start for Ki Kumonryu.

breedings

i feed them 4-5 times a day it is hot here the water is real warm, the pictures show crooked bodies on some, but thats not the case, its hard to take a photo when they move, in the fall I will take more photos, these might be some unique koi...

The strong black on the yellow-orange is pretty striking. I hope you can recall how you got it. Thanks for posting.

Wow! Those guys are well fed. :-) I am not familiar with this variety, but I am sure their shapes are influenced by the doitsu gene. As a new backyard breeder myself, I have always assumed that overfeeding the fry can ruin their body comformation. Am I correct? Do you think the comformation your fish will change as they mature?

Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    As a new backyard breeder myself, I have always assumed that overfeeding the fry can ruin their body comformation. Am I correct? Do you think the comformation your fish will change as they mature?

Sunny
    There is no such thing as overfeeding fry/fingerlings/tosai. (The water may get trashed, but that is a different problem.) For the backyard breeder not concerned about making a profit, striking the right balance between feed costs, efficient digestion, growth and market price is irrelevant. Maximizing growth is usually the goal. Conformation may be temporarily 'off', but it does not affect the mature fish. What can occur is to emphasize some body form issues that might not be noticed by the uneducated eye. ...I'll let Brian give his thoughts on how conformation may change on ones in his posted pics.

baby koi

so I was checking out some of the small 2-3 month old koi and I spotted a few butterfly to my suprise, a BENI KUMONRY, A Kohaku long fin, thats crazy, I only have a few long fin parents and 1 is an asagi and 1 is a shusui,, I will post pictures hopefully soon a week or 2

Ni Brian,
    The first Koi I had were 2 very large "gold fish" ( I thought), which I borrowed (stole) from my daughter's pond...I had put some gold fish in her pond and thought this was my gold fish. I put them in my brand new unsealed concrete pond with PH of over 9....and they started chasing each other the next day...I thought this is one nasty fish!, hitting the other fish all the time and badly...until I eventually figured out they are spawning...I quickly went and dug some valisneria...and put it on the side of the pond in a small pool. They deposited eggs there, which I fed with egg yolk...grew around 100 babies, which in around 6-7 month reached 25-30cm....I put a mosquito net around the eggs since I noticed the gold fish eating them.
    The parents were one white female and one Kohaku look alike...
    I got I think all the varieties...most babies were doitsu...but the parents were fully scaled. I had some that were very similar to yours too...and I kept as a memory one of those...unfortunately had mouth ulcer and lost its jaws...but stil have it and will never part with it.
    So it seems your Koi are like mine...with a UN grand parents.

pictures

did some culling today, here are just some of the one I will grow out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails backyard breed-dsc08614-copy.jpg   backyard breed-dsc08616-copy.jpg   backyard breed-dsc08617-copy.jpg   backyard breed-dsc08621.jpg   backyard breed-dsc08622.jpg  

backyard breed-dsc08623.jpg   backyard breed-dsc08628.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast