Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: small wound marks on Koi

Fry

small wound marks on Koi

hey guys, we have a small pond with about 16 koi and 2 goldfish. Just 2 months ago, one of the Koi's had a round wound on its lower body near its tail fin, about dime size. The wound became infected and it passed away. Recently, 2 more Koi's have had round wounds on its lower body. One of the wounds is about the same size as the first Koi that had a wound.. and the other Koi's wound is a lot smaller, almost like a nip but also near its tail fin .

What are these wounds from? Is it something from outside the pond or inside?

small wound marks on Koi-cimg0053.jpgsmall wound marks on Koi-cimg0054.jpgsmall wound marks on Koi-cimg0056.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails small wound marks on Koi-1a.jpg  

Meg
    16 koi and 2goldfish in a small pond leads one to believe the issue may be crowding and water quality problems.
    but before jumping to that conclusion the folks here need some more information.
    *Small pond does not mean anything, we need the gallons your pond holds and how you have it filtered and your matainance of the filters.
    *water test results are needed, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, the number please and not from paper test strips.
    *the size of your 16 koi
    *how old is the pond and how long have the fish been in it, any new inhabitants?

ok, that should get you started and some folks should be chimming in.....

Fry
    Hi Meg, our pond is about 2500 gallons, 2 new koi were introduced in the past 2 months.. one of them got a wound two weeks later and as I stated earlier, passed away.. they were/are about 9 inches in length. 2 of our biggest koi are about 12 inches in length. The filter is cleaned regularly but we haven't checked the water quality. Will check the water quality tomorrow.
    we've had our pond for about 5 years, along with all of the fish as well. The 2 new koi that were introduced into the pond were only new ones we put in since 5 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous4 View Post
    Hi Meg, our pond is about 2500 gallons, 2 new koi were introduced in the past 2 months.. one of them got a wound two weeks later and as I stated earlier, passed away.. they were/are about 9 inches in length. 2 of our biggest koi are about 12 inches in length. The filter is cleaned regularly but we haven't checked the water quality. Will check the water quality tomorrow.
    we've had our pond for about 5 years, along with all of the fish as well. The 2 new koi that were introduced into the pond were only new ones we put in since 5 years ago
    Sounds like your 2 new koi brought something extra with them. The proper course of action is to use a microscope to figure out which bug they brought and then treat accordingly. Thats much easier said then done if you've never done it. Where are you located? Perhaps we can point out a local club for you that might have someone local to do some hands on help.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Fry
    hi jnorth, so test the water to see if there are any bugs in it ? i'm located in new jersey, in bergen county

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous4 View Post
    hi jnorth, so test the water to see if there are any bugs in it ? i'm located in new jersey, in bergen county
    You test the water for ph levels,ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. You check for parasites by using a microscope slide to gently scrap the koi and then look at it under a microscope. Contact the Tri-State ZNA Club for your area Home
    Koi-Unit
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Fry
    I tried to take some pictures, they are bit unclear though, the koi stays at the bottom of the pond so i couldnt get a clear shot . It seems to have gotten some new wounds now.. not sure if it is ich but its body is becoming more and more covered with white spots. The original wound itself is not a white spot although it looks like it from the picture, but its like a chunk of its body has been taken out.. like an open sore

small wound marks on Koi-1a.jpgsmall wound marks on Koi-photo4.jpgsmall wound marks on Koi-photo-20.jpgsmall wound marks on Koi-photo-2.jpg

Fry
    anything? I can take better pics , today the water was tested, we went to two different shops to get it done, the testers didn't give us numbers though, they used paper strips the first time and the second time was a solution test. Both times, the testers said that the water was fine.

One of the guy who takes care of the fishes suggested melafix solution.. so that's what we put in the pond today. Anyone use this product before? It supposedly cures wounds and its natural so it doesn't disturb other fishes. How often should we be feeding the fishes now, especially the wounded ones? Right now, we're feeding them twice a day

Call Sugar Loaf as they appear to be the closest koi dealer near you.

Corino, Matt - Sugar Loaf Koi Farm

• (845) 294-5162

3244 State Route 207, Campbell Hall, NY 10916
    Koi-Unit
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Melafix does little good. The folks at the store saying 'your water is good' tells us nothing, and the paper test strips are notoriously inaccurate. They can give a general idea about water parameters, but not much more.

It is clear that you are not familiar with fish health issues. The first thing to know is that you should not treat until you know what you are treating for. Second, maintaining high water quality not only is the most important thing for maintaining good health, but also essential to recovery from a bout with health issues. This means there is no detectable ammonia or nitrite in the water whatsoever, that the nitrate level is low, that the pH is stable, that there is sufficient alkalinity to support/buffer nitrification by beneficial bacteria, that oxygen levels are close to saturation, that there are no harmful metals or the like in the water... and more. If you do not do regular weekly water changes in the range of 20-25% (using dechlorinator if you are putting in chlorinated water), you should be.

I cannot tell anything from the photos. From your description, my guess (emphasis on 'guess') is that some of your fish have 'hole disease' and perhaps finrot. That is, I'm guessing the wounds are not from injuries, but are bacterial infections eating away at the flesh of the fish. These could be a consequence of parasites injuring the skin, allowing infection to begin; or could be from an internal infection erupting on the exterior of the fish. White spots immediately bring Ich to mind, but if you are not familiar with Ich your description might not be how others might describe it. If it is Ich, it would have likely been brought into the pond by the new fish, and then would have spread to all the fish. It is fairly unusual to have Ich in Summer when the water is warm.

I am sure there are koikeepers in the Bergen County area who would be happy to visit your pond and give some advice. Follow the link JNorth posted and you may find someone. I am hesitant to give any specific advice because I am not comfortable guessing.

If it is 'hole disease' at this time of year, I think it likely that those with it are lost causes. (Don't ever again buy fish from wherever you got these new ones.) Ich, if that is what it is, can be treated readily. The petshop will have medications. However, be sure you know the real gallonage, not a guess of what the gallonage is, nor a rough calculation based on geometry of the pond. Those calculations are invariably wrong. Water volume should be determined by a meter reading when the pond is filled. Otherwise, you are likely to over-medicate or under-medicate.

If you go to koivet.com you can read up on health matters. That site has gotten a bit overly commercial IMO, but there is still good information on the basics of koi health.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast