Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: new photos and video

new photos and video

here are the koi I bred in april-may 2012 a few months ago, man they grow fast, these are some of the keepers, the rest I will put on craigs list at some point, I did about 5 different breedings, close to winter I will post pictures of the baby sorogois and ochibas segurais koi - YouTube
    100%
    koi - YouTube
    100%
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new photos and video-111a.jpg   new photos and video-111.jpg   new photos and video-112.jpg   new photos and video-113.jpg   new photos and video-1114.jpg  

new photos and video-1115.jpg   new photos and video-1116.jpg   new photos and video-1117.jpg   new photos and video-1118.jpg   new photos and video-1119.jpg  

Tategoi
    Not bad at all. The main issue I see here is that you have too much kois and I can see stunt growth by the drop belly and they are short and stumpy. You might have mention what you are raising them in, but I'm asking anyway. What are you raising them in? Gallons, filter, climate, weather, how many? I say this because I want to learn from your experience and not make the same mistake.

The koi themselves looks to have good blood and I do like what you have.

Would you think buying a bunch of japanese tosai would have done you better? As far as learning curve and whatever else that interest you?
    Akitsushima Tombo

Quote Originally Posted by chang26k View Post
    Not bad at all. The main issue I see here is that you have too much kois and I can see stunt growth by the drop belly and they are short and stumpy. You might have mention what you are raising them in, but I'm asking anyway. What are you raising them in? Gallons, filter, climate, weather, how many? I say this because I want to learn from your experience and not make the same mistake.

The koi themselves looks to have good blood and I do like what you have.

Would you think buying a bunch of japanese tosai would have done you better? As far as learning curve and whatever else that interest you?
    the fun for me is breeding myself to see if I can get some really cool koi, I have been to a koi farm in CA and it doesnt matter how many or what size pond u raise them in, alot of oxygyn and good water is a good start, these koi are all in a 2000 gal pond, the bellys dont mean anything I just feed alot 4-5 time a day, the water temp is around 80 or so, I live in the High Desert so its hot in the summer, I will eventually sort threw them and keep 50 or so and sell the rest... we all make mistakes in breeding and raising thats how we learn what Not to do the next time u breed...

Brian, I went back and looked at photos of the koi you've produced in past years. I'm not impressed by this year's crop, but did not want to say anything that might hurt your feelings. So, I looked back to confirm my sense that you've gotten better results in prior years. And, I think you have. The Beni Kumonryu you produced a couple of years ago were pretty good, and certainly among the best I've seen produced by a backyard breeder. A known dealer could have sold some of them at a nice price. Perhaps this crop would seem better after selected down to just a couple. I know you enjoy raising up each year's spawn, but I find myself wondering whether you've considered specializing in a specific variety. Have you? Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Brian, I went back and looked at photos of the koi you've produced in past years. I'm not impressed by this year's crop, but did not want to say anything that might hurt your feelings. So, I looked back to confirm my sense that you've gotten better results in prior years. And, I think you have. The Beni Kumonryu you produced a couple of years ago were pretty good, and certainly among the best I've seen produced by a backyard breeder. A known dealer could have sold some of them at a nice price. Perhaps this crop would seem better after selected down to just a couple. I know you enjoy raising up each year's spawn, but I find myself wondering whether you've considered specializing in a specific variety. Have you? Why not?
    I like to experiment with breedings to see what I can do to get a different koi that might not be the normal or maybe even a new kind of koi, to do one kind of breeding would be boring to me, and If I make any money , which is very little it goes to the hobby like buying food etc... in this picture is a quite different variety of koi in my opinion, a gold,yellow like doits bekko. The picture isnt the best but I will post some better cleaner ones as the winter comes and you will see the nice ones that I like, and in the past I wasnt a big fan of long fin, but when I seen some Long fin Beni kumonryu in the batch I was pretty excited, so stay tuned as the weeks and montsh come towards the winter and I will definatley have some cool pictures posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new photos and video-bekko.jpg  

Keep on enjoying it! Like Jeff Kapp writes in his backyard breeding article in American Koikeeper, anticipation of finding jewel of your own creation fuels the endeavor. It's more likely there will be a unique one that is the jewel in the eye of the beholder than creating a jewel of a gosanke. Perhaps that is why I've not developed enthusiasm to do some backyard breeding myself. Too much work producing rejects in hopes of there being one unique keeper. But, then, I do a lot of work cleaning out fish poop to maintain my koi. A lot of folks think that's too much work for the reward. Different strokes for different folks. So, keep on posting photos. ...You do the work and I'll keep on vicariously enjoying the jewel of the season you produce.

9 21 2012

Today I culled at aprrox 5 months, some of these turned out beautiful, tomorrow I might cull my sorogoi and doitsu sanke batch but here are the pictures I took today, it turns out there are many long fins as well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new photos and video-9-2012-.jpg   new photos and video-9-2012-b.jpg   new photos and video-9-2012.jpg   new photos and video-9-2012c.jpg   new photos and video-9-2012d.jpg  

new photos and video-9-2012e.jpg   new photos and video-9-2012f.jpg   new photos and video-9-2012g.jpg  

sat 9 22 2011 sorogoi, ochiba

went through hundreds of these today wound up with some nice ones
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new photos and video-sorogo-ic.jpg   new photos and video-sorogoi-.jpg   new photos and video-sorogoi-b.jpg   new photos and video-sorogoi-d.jpg  

I enjoy your photos. I can imagine the pleasure of finding a good Ochiba after sorting all day.... makes my back sore just thinking of being hunched over so long.

I now have about 300- 400 koi I need to get rid of, some are pretty nice some are pure junk, anyone in Los Angeles area I put and ad on craigslist koi CLICK ON THE WORD Koi after craigslist