Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Choosing kois.

Tosai

Choosing kois.

Hi , i am looking to buy some kois and i would to have some advice as i would like to avoid any fading colors if possible.

The first 2 pictures are 3 - 4 " of size and the other pictures are 5 - 6 ".

I usually buy in the 8 " and more but since where i live there's no more japanese kois for sale i have to look elsewhere and the place where i found some doesn't have any 8 " and up anymore so i was looking at these small kois but being not familiar with these sizes i would like to know which ones are more prone to color fading between these kois.

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Choosing kois.-4-1.jpg   Choosing kois.-4-2.jpg   Choosing kois.-6-1.jpg   Choosing kois.-6-2.jpg   Choosing kois.-6-3.jpg  

Meg
    never any promises when buying koi!
    sorry, it is not possible to take a guess with the pictures. your eyes right there are the best judge of color, look for the most even shade of red head to tail, and cross fingers.
    bar that, purchase all 6 and keep the ones that retain color over the next couple/few years.

I could not say it more clearly than Meg has done.

Given the time of year and your climate, I hope you have an indoor pond. If not, I'd suggest you postpone purchasing until next Spring.

Tosai
    Thanks , the shipping is a 100$ so with 2 kois for the same amount there is a pet shop that can order a sanke from japan of 10" size that would at least less chance of loosing is color.

Yes , i have an indoor tank were i bring the koi in the winter so i would just put him in it.

focus in on the first photo. What can be learned by the fish included in this grouping. For now ignore paterning....
    One koi has bright strong orange and sumi is up strong. This should tell you odds are good this is male. The other koi (not the tancho) has soft beni. chances are better that this is female.

Speaking of beni loss,Smaller tanchos are quite easily stressed in shipment, making the tancho spot vulnerable to fading. From a pattern standpoint, this koi has way too much sumi up and showing at this early stage.

hope there is something in my comments that may help you in your learning for the future.....
    Dick Benbow

Tosai
    Thank you Dick , i always wanted to know how to identify the sex of the koi at a young age.

It will be of great help. Thanks

Tosai
    The first 2 pictures are 5 - 6 " and the three other pictures are the 3 - 4 ".

Sorry for the mistake.