Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Harvest temperature

Oyagoi

Harvest temperature

I have had my koi in what i call now expierment pond.basically a dirt covered pond where backwash water goes from main koi pond.pond had tosai placed in it this spring to see what they would do.
    anyway the temperature outside is dropping to 60's lateley and looks like will range from 62 to 70 next weeks and sure will never get better with night time in mid 40 to low 50 at night.so water temps will start dropping for sure. i see 62 just now tjis morning.

is it better to leave in more natural pond outside pond with temps dropping i feed them plus they have the natural bugs and ALOT of snails to still eat with water temps in low 60'
    or
    bring them inside after "clean up" period in seperate tank then into my indoor 10,000 gallon pond where it will be in the low 70 water temp.where they just get food.also will be with my other koi so stocking will be higher but water change and filter backwash carried out very well (imho).

so wondering what is best way since these are smaller koi and will be able to keep being fed over winter.

where is the cut off of "natural" pond low temp vs more feed efficancy water temp inside
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society
    Louisville Koi club
    IKONA

Paul, others with mudpond over-wintering experience can best advise you. I think it is quite different from our concrete or liner ponds because different temperature zones within the water body are much more likely to occur. Nonetheless, once the mudpond is mostly in the low 60sF, it would seem to me that the tosai would benefit from warmer water and regular feeding indoors, if stocked appropriately for the system.

Oyagoi
    thanks Mike

after breaking records all summer with heat and days above 90 now we are under frost warnings tomorrow night

that is way early on that.

Leave half outside. Bring the other half inside. Let us know next Spring what differences you find.

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    Leave half outside. Bring the other half inside. Let us know next Spring what differences you find.
    can get REAL cold here so not what i would want for depth to attempt this.plus water quality will be crap,literly the water that comes into this pond is the backwash/water change from indoor pond.
    plus may have some other idea brewing

Ice covering the pond keeps it from getting to cold. Here is a good article on koi in cold weather.
    http://koihealthadvisor.org/kha_imag...aterEffect.pdf

That is excellent material on winter-keeping for those in cold climes who do not have indoor facilities. The potential difficulties and health issues addressed do not arise, however, if such low temperatures are avoided. The koikeeper who has a choice between indoor and outdoor winter-keeping does not have to expose the koi to the challenge. That, of course, is why winter-keeping in Japan is primarily in greenhouses.

I'd also add that greenhouses are used to create jumbo tosai by extending the feeding/growing season. I've actually had more koi develop ulcers inside than the ones I leave outside. Of course these were new koi I was buying in late Fall. It's pretty easy to overcrowd indoor tanks or tubs and sort of difficult to do large water changes with out dropping the water temperature in winter. Koi inside will be hungry, but feeding should be done cautiously. For most people I think making some type of plastic covering for the outside pond makes the most sense. If the warm winters continue even that may be unnecessary in many parts of the country IMO. If you have a greenhouse or large indoor holding facility you should utilize it by all means. I have a 27,000-gallon pond full of koi, trying to bring them indoors would be a real challenge, besides they seem have have gotten used to spending the winter outside. Having good water quality and koi that are parasite free greatly increases their chances of coming through the winter in good health.

Oyagoi
    very nice article and helps make my decision

for me my main pond is an indoor 10,000 gallon pond so when we get back to normal and outside water closer to 70 again they will come in.

just got done covering the outside annuals for possible frost.course it is school homecoming week so usually it is below normal for temp and will more then likely rain on parade day.last year it was anasty parade as HIGH winds also ripping apart floats.not nice to watch kids carrying a few plywwod sheets behind the float that came off.

i know koi acres kept some out in a mud pond last winter and got some great growth for winter but believe water is like 6 feet deep? but total in ground about 8-9 ft. or ??? so really benefit from ground temps.

Daihonmei
    Call Mat McCann at quality koi farm. he has lots of experience in our winters and he has done both. JR