Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Save The Date: Central Florida Koi Show 2013

Save The Date: Central Florida Koi Show 2013

Mark your calendar now: CFKS 2013 will be March 8-10, 2013 in Orlando. We are returning to the Palms International Resort on International Drive (across from the Wet'nWild water park). It may be nearly 6 months away, but it not too early to plan a Spring Break in Orlando. You might make it your holiday gift to yourself.

There will be the seminars, vendor fair and wonderful show people have come to expect. And this time we are going to have more raffles and auctions than in the past. A number of the koi dealers will be contributing koi for auction or raffle... and there just may be a koi auction on Sunday morning after the judges' walk-around.

It's going to be another exciting show!

BTW, Orlando area hotels are no longer giving the deep discounts that prevailed during the worst of the recession. Tourists are back in record numbers. So, our show rate at International Palms is really pretty good. It is $92 per night, with no resort fee (usually $6.50) charged. So, it is equivalent to $85.50. To make hotel reservations, call 407-351-3500 or 1-800-354-8332. Be sure to mention 'Koi Show' to get the show rate. Reservations need to be made before February 7.

Show planning is humming along. The early preference deadline for returning vendors was this weekend. A couple of slots opened for wet vendors on the waiting list, so it looks like attendees will get to patronize some new faces. We will have to turn away some wait-listed koi dealers once again. But, there are spaces for new dry vendors available.

The full show committee will be meeting in a couple of weeks, with representatives from all 5 of the sponsoring clubs. On the agenda is a proposal to have a judged goldfish show added to the line-up of activities. It is a well-thought out proposal, so I expect it has a very good chance of being approved. Any goldfish dealers interested in a booth? (Our limit on koi dealers does not apply to goldfish dealers.)

The 'show rate' for the hotel is looking better all the time. Tourism is hitting record levels and projected to really boom in 2013. So, of course, room rates are going up. Those planning a spring break vacation at CFKS should take advantage of the show rate. I don't think there is a high risk of the room block getting used up, but there sure are a lot of lost tourists wandering around.

And, I have it on pretty good authority that there are going to be a couple of very special koi entered in the show by a pair of well-known hobbyists who have not shown at CFKS before. They'll be traveling over a thousand miles to compete in the largest annual show in the East. (Wish I could say more.) When word eventually leaks, I think it will draw some more top-level competition. I'm getting excited and it is still 4 months off. The seminar line-up is under discussion, and there just may be a new activity on Sunday that gives folks more reason to hang around.

It's going to be another full weekend for koi kichi.

Oyagoi
    well daughter is freshman in school and her spring break usually around end of March so will be a few more years till we can make it.Usually we come spring break to orlando anyway

this is one show i sure wish to visit.

Folks are pumping up the California shows and I've not been talking up the biggest show in the East. Well, everything is falling in place for a great show. There are a couple of vendor spots available, but not for koi dealers. Our koi spaces are all taken, with dealers and breeders from across the country coming... Eastern, Champion, Peters & Son, Genki from CA. From 'up North': Quality Koi, Koi Acres, Kodama and Children of the Sun Koi. From the southland: Purdin Koi, Carolina Koi and Gott Koi Farm (welcome, Mitch!). And, from around Florida: Legacy Koi, Blackwater Koi, SoBe Koi and Tampa Bay Koi.... and I've forgotten someone! (I apologize.) There is never a better selection of koi available at all price ranges anywhere within a 12-hour drive of Florida than our vendors bring to the Central Florida Koi Show.

The rumors are flying about what 'ringers' may be entered in the show. I know about koi being brought long distances from outside Florida to compete, and some Florida-raised that sure have size. Show tanks are going fast, so those wanting to enter fish in the show should get in their registration forms asap. Go to cfks.org to download the forms.

The judges are AKJA-supplied: Larry Christensen, Head Judge; Pam Spindola, Asst. Judge, Dale Gingrich, Asst. Judge and Bart Atkinson, Candidate Judge.

Our website is not up to date due to the webmaster having a computer glitch that's being fixed. But, I can assure all that the seminar series will varied and informative. I'm not 100% certain that all the speakers I know about have confirmed, so I'll not say more now. And, it's just $10 for a full day of presentations.

In addition, there will be a judging seminar conducted with 5 nisai Kohaku. Four of these were brought to Florida as tosai last April by Mat McCann. One was sent down by Mat more recently after summering in the mud of New Jersey. The four tosai (now nisai) were of differeing quality levels and served as the basis for an evaluation seminar held by ZNA Southern Koi Association. Now the same koi will be subjected to 'judging on the day', and those ZNA members who participated last April will be able to compare their predictions with an end result.

This year, we are adding a judged goldfish show, with Maureen McGurk handling the judging. She has a depth of knowledge based in the british approach to goldfish appreciation, which should make it a delight for goldfish connoiseurs.

What more can a kichi want? ...Orlando in March is gorgeous. Lots of beautiful show entries. Lots of koi dealers. Over 20 other vendors of supplies and services. Educational seminars. Social events and, now, a goldfish show... just in case you need a break from 'all koi, all the time' for a few minutes.

We've been called more an extravaganza than a koi show. But, the show is the heart of it all... and lots to do all around Orlando for those family members who think an hour or two of koi is enough for one weekend.

Come on down!

Well Mike, you guys always did a great job for your show. You are able to bring all West Coast dealers to participate your show.
    Can you teach me how to bring your East Coast dealers to our show here in NorCal? Some thing I always want to learn from you, but you never teach me how to do it ;-))

Here is a little token for your show, it is on the world map ...
    2013 Central Florida Koi Show at International Palms Resort International Drive (Friday March 8, 2013) - Upcoming

Oh, Dinh... We need you doing our publicity!

When I see you at the NorCal show, we can talk about getting vendors. (I am planning to be there for the ZNA meeting.) It gets more challenging getting the support of non-dealer vendors who have had to cut back during the recession, and some of our regulars have had personal matters prevent attendance this year... all the extreme weather around the country this past year has affected a lot of folks in different ways. Fortunately, CFKS has a strong attendance base and despite the challenges we are on track to make budget.

And.... drum roll... Here is the Saturday seminar schedule:

9:00 - 9:45 Dr. Denise Petty, University of FL: Koi Health

9:45 - 10:15 Rob Forbiss: International Koi Keeping, Singapore Adventure [Rob's tour of Singapore hosted by David Soon will be a highlight]

10:30 - 11:15 Don Hellard: Pond Construction, the basics

11:15 - 12:00 Bill McGurk, Purdin Koi Farm: Topic To Be Determined [Perhaps... The Many Shades of Sumi]

1:00 - 1:30 Devin Swanson: Judging the 2013 All Japan Show [Devin is judging and we get his first hand experience... from a person who speaks the language.]

1:30 - 2:15 Jan Brown: Koi pond landscaping to fit your space and lifestyle [This is not watergardening. This is landscaping art to create a total environment centered on a koi pond. Kichi will get inspired.]

2:30 - 3:30 Mat McCann: Kohaku judging exercise [logistics may require timing change]

I can assure folks that if they attend the whole series, they will be approaching 'koi overload'.

Sounds like it will be a great experience. I'm signed up!

There has been so much interest in entering fish in the show that we are reducing the vendor area in the show tent as much as we can without kicking out vendors who have already paid. I think we have competitors from at least 4 states outside Florida, and perhaps 5. Last I heard, we have 3 hobbyists from Texas with reserved tanks, two from South Carolina. The furthest is coming from Washington state with koi.

There are still tanks available. We are trying to do all we can to accomodate everyone. But, if you want to show, you really need to get in your reservation now. We are setting up all of our hard tanks and will have to use soft tanks for fish entered by customers of vendors who have reserved tanks for fish they sell on Friday. Altogether, I think it is 49 tanks getting set up, including 18 8-foot tanks. I do not know if the total fish count will he as high as it has been in the years when we've had a lot of tosai and nisai entered. My impression is that the emphasis is on koi that are over 24". But, this may well turn out to be the highest number of hobbyists participating.... and more states represented. We'll see.

Get in your reservations asap. At this point, there is no way to assure a tank will be available for all. ...And, if you have a tank in the show, bring along your best smaller one(s). I think there are going to be award winning opportunities in the under-24" sizes. ...just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    ...And, if you have a tank in the show, bring along your best smaller one(s). I think there are going to be award winning opportunities in the under-24" sizes. ...just my opinion.
    Good, cause that's all I have!!! Bring in the finished Males! Yay!

(No for real though- that's really all I have!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast