Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hikari Pure White

I am not sure Ray. But Eastern sells it and it is for whites.

The article I mentioned is in the August 15 issue of e-Rinko and concerns the Hikari food. It refers to it as Byakko, which according to an on-line translator means 'white fox' ...with some spirit connotation??

Among the comments by breeders, SFF observed that the water turned brownish when the food was used. Others did not note that in their comments.

Sansai
    im sure if i feed it my water would turn a little brown to. lots of koi foods have discolored my water mybe i over do it i have three set of showers on my big pond and on my 8000 gal pond the showers 8 foot long by 4 foot wide by six foot high that dosent includ the masive run way filter to keep up even though theres discoloring most of the serious jumbo koi keepers i know water look a a little musky. but there fish get big and look good when pulled out of that water.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The article I mentioned is in the August 15 issue of e-Rinko and concerns the Hikari food. It refers to it as Byakko, which according to an on-line translator means 'white fox' ...with some spirit connotation??

Among the comments by breeders, SFF observed that the water turned brownish when the food was used. Others did not note that in their comments.

Actually, Byakko means "White Tiger".

So much for the reliability of on-line translators. That seems to make it the same food Ray learned about in Japan.

I went searching some more of the translators hoping to find one that was more accurate. Denshi Jisho proved the more accurate of the ones I tried. It shows 'byakko' being written in two ways with different sets of characters. One set it translates as 'albino fox'. The other set it translates as 'white tiger', with reference to a god that rules the western heavens, and also as a set of Chinese constellations in the western sky. It seems to be a word that would carry a lot of meaning. I think I'll use Denshi Jisho in the future when I'm trying to figure out a word.

The latest issue of e-Rinko has an article continuing the discussion of Byakko, this time with its creators at Kyorin. They emphasize that Byakko is solely for improving the shiroji and is not a complete food. It is inherent that koi will lose weight if fed it for a lengthy period. Long use may adversely affect other color pigments. It dissolves quickly in water and can result in cloudy water. (So, feed a bit at a time rather than a whole meal all at once.) Kyorin will be working to improve the taste so koi will be more interested in eating it.

The article is accompanied by a set of photos showing obvious whitening of the head of a Kohaku... the difference making the koi as white as those 'photo magic' shots we see of top award winners. (Of course, the photos were photos.)

There is also a new red-enhancing color food by the name of Suzaku. It is very high in spirulina. They recommend that it be mixed with other food to get the level of red enhancement desired, and say that feeding too much Suzaku may harm the skin. It's creators also comment that 'First rate koi don't need any color enrichment. On the contrary, second or third rate koi's quality can be drastically improved by enrichment feed." [There is a little bit of a translation issue, but the meaning is clear.]

It is quite clear that these are specialty foods designed for a specific purpose and are to be used in specific ways. They are not intended to be complete diets, and are not promoted as a primary diet.

Sansai
    thanks mike for the resurch very informative and helpful

This was the other food I was told about at this year's All Japan Show. I think it translates to Red Phoenix. It was described as being able to resurrect the red color of koi that had faded or never fully developed. As mike said both of these foods are intended for specific use not sable diets.

There are always a few vendors at the All Japan Koi Show mostly koi food or water conditioners and several magazine and book publishers. Most seem to have someone that can speak some english and I always make a point to visit with them when at the show.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Thanks Mike-I guess I will start including Saki all seasons. I have noticed the water now has a tanin look to it. The fish do enjoy the food so that is not an issue. The whites are good, especially for this time of the year.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    There is also a new red-enhancing color food by the name of Suzaku. It is very high in spirulina. They recommend that it be mixed with other food to get the level of red enhancement desired, and say that feeding too much Suzaku may harm the skin. It's creators also comment that 'First rate koi don't need any color enrichment. On the contrary, second or third rate koi's quality can be drastically improved by enrichment feed." [There is a little bit of a translation issue, but the meaning is clear.]

It is quite clear that these are specialty foods designed for a specific purpose and are to be used in specific ways. They are not intended to be complete diets, and are not promoted as a primary diet.
    Travia,

Suzaku means Vermilion Bird. Vermilion Bird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, Believe it or not, we will have another special koi food for raising SUMI in the market soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast