Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hikari Pure White

Hikari Pure White

Just bought my first bag of Pure White. Anyone tried it and results? I also wonder if higher end koi foods are going over the top? Seems that the prices for new and higher end food keeps going up. I used Saki growth this summer with High Silk-good whites and growth but again not inexpensive.

Transportation cost have gone way up, I'm sure this is a major part of the $ increase.

not familar with the lead ingredient but if it's white fish meal, the amount harvested at sea is dropping and the demand for human food keeps the costs increasing. If fishmeal, that translates into catch of the day and i'd rather know specifically what I'm feeding them.

Sansai
    were ya get the pure white

Quote Originally Posted by rekoil10000 View Post
    were ya get the pure white
    Koi Enterprise is one source.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by 111whalen View Post
    Just bought my first bag of Pure White. Anyone tried it and results? I also wonder if higher end koi foods are going over the top? Seems that the prices for new and higher end food keeps going up. I used Saki growth this summer with High Silk-good whites and growth but again not inexpensive.
    Morning Mark, hope all is well in sunny California!?

I'm not too up on what foods represent the 'hot dot' these days? What does this manufacturer say this 'white' food does that others do not ( or not as well)? Can you list the ingredients? Best, JR

There was an article recently in e-Rinko (I think it was e-Rinko) in which several breeders commented on the new 'improve shiroji' foods. They all agreed that they work to produce glistening pure whites. However, some found that their koi did not like it very much. Some commented that the koi could not maintain girth if fed it for extended periods. The consensus seemed to be that it was an excellent food to use in the month leading up to showing a koi, but not for regular feeding.

...I guess lots of bulk-up food as a regular supplement (steamed yams, anyone?), switching to color food to enhance reds for a month about two months prior to a show, followed by the shiroji feed for the last month, and one would theoretically do all that could be done with food to get prime show condition.

Oyagoi
    couple thoughts onwhy.
    these "special" foods are just that special.not fed by the mass fish feeder.you do not see the average water garden fish getting fed this.so the turnover rate is small since fed short time,the% of consumers is small so the production needs to be small also.which leads to economics of producing it.even the throw away level could be high when it is not sold through.so that has to be factored in also.

so do not know all ingrediants and can be different but also how purchased by mill can make difference.
    when we dairy farmed we brought in semi loads of different feeds.some lasted a week some lasted month +
    so we had 125 head in milking herd so take someone with only say 40 head/.things would last 3 times longer and then also need storage to hold all that stuff.if not the average smaller person would buy from local guy that mixxed it or brought less then semi loads.still takes basically same gas to bring 2 tons vs semi load of 20 tons to a pesron.

so might be seeing same thing with some of ingrediants.mills can not handle full loads not big enough storage for ull loads of a minor feed ingrediant, or turnover rate is not fast enough and spoilage can happen on certain stuff.

Kinda like the koi its easy to produce 1,000's of pond grade koi that is bought by many but to produce a something special koi are much less as is the # of people willing to buy something special.
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society
    Louisville Koi club
    IKONA

Thanks Mike and Paul. Only been using it for a few days but the fish seem to ilk it. The other part of this questions is-do expensive foods (which continue to get more expensive) have much value for show fish and better grade pond fish?

HI Mark,
    Do you know if this is the same food Hikari has been selling under the name White Tiger in Japan? If so this is the formula used for several years to whiten many of the male champions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast