Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pond Closing 2012 major problems

Tosai

Pond Closing 2012 major problems

Well, the winter plans I had for my gone are now in the garbage. My Koi are gone. I check my Koi daily just to make sure that no harm is coming to them. I live in a wooded area. Well, my pond guy closed my pond for the winter and was going to house my fish........ I had two Kigoi (all yellow koi) and one Platinum ogon (all white koi) and my Kin matsuba (big orange koi). These were my main fish with a bunch of smaller koi that were born this summer. Well, needless to say, when I got a picture of my koi from the pond guy I was SHOCKED.

To make a long, sad, story short, I now have a full year to restock the pond, and make plans for a tank for winter storage. Has anyone else had these kinds of problems with someone who takes care of your pond? I've attached some photos to show you my Koi and what my pond guy said was in my pond. I can't believe that 24-36 hours can make such a difference. I had massive plants (grass) around the pond so predators were not a problem all year since spring. The very last photo were the koi I bought this past spring.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond Closing 2012 major problems-koi.jpg   Pond Closing 2012 major problems-koi2.jpg   Pond Closing 2012 major problems-koi3.jpg   Pond Closing 2012 major problems-koi4.jpg   Pond Closing 2012 major problems-koi5.jpg  

Pond Closing 2012 major problems-2012-10-26-15.11.23.jpg   Pond Closing 2012 major problems-2307727771114040_1.jpg  

Sorry about your koi bbdrag0n. How did they die?

Sunny

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Sorry about your koi bbdrag0n. How did they die?

Sunny

They didn't die. I believe my pond guy stole them. They were there in the morning before I left for work, and he got there at about 10am.

The koi have three different "hiding" stones in the pond, so usually the disappear if anything comes near the pond.

MCA
    Has anyone else had these kinds of problems with someone who takes care of your pond?
    I think you will find that most regular folks in this forum have built, or supervised the building of, their ponds and do all their own pond maintenance. No one will look after your pond system like you will.

Sorry for any problems you are having.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    I think you will find that most regular folks in this forum have built, or supervised the building of, their ponds and do all their own pond maintenance. No one will look after your pond system like you will.

Sorry for any problems you are having.
    Yes. I agree. I'm going to take a very active roll in maintaining my pond next year. This originally was my mom's pond and when she passed 2 years ago, I just kept the service on-going. Not happy with them, to say the least. I'm getting the Koi that are left, back from him. They are mostly the babies that were born this summer. I'll put them in an aquarium for the winter in the house. I'll get a cover for the aquarium and then my cats can be entertained. And, hopefully, this will be the last time I have to totally restock the pond.

I truly believe that what goes around comes around and hope it comes around really good forhim.

Quote Originally Posted by bbdrag0n View Post
    They didn't die. I believe my pond guy stole them. They were there in the morning before I left for work, and he got there at about 10am.

The koi have three different "hiding" stones in the pond, so usually the disappear if anything comes near the pond.
    The most likely culprit is a large male heron having his last big feed.
    It is not likely that anyone would risk stealing your fish as they would not have sufficient value to cover the risk.
    Regards
    Eugene

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    The most likely culprit is a large male heron having his last big feed.
    It is not likely that anyone would risk stealing your fish as they would not have sufficient value to cover the risk.
    Regards
    Eugene

Eugene-

The pond was surrounded so densely with grasses, herons have not been a problem this year. They tried once, but can't get thru the grass.

Pamela

Quote Originally Posted by bbdrag0n View Post

Eugene-

The pond was surrounded so densely with grasses, herons have not been a problem this year. They tried once, but can't get thru the grass.

Pamela

Sorry to tell you this, but predatory wading birds, especially egrets and great blue herons are masters at gobbling up even relatively large fish if given half a chance. Deep grass at the edge of a pond doesn't deter them, or even shoreline predators like raccoons or otters for that matter. in fact, it just gives predators more 'cover' to make a stealthy approach to your pond. Have you seen the Everglades? The reeds and grass can be 10 feet high and so dense a man cannot walk through it right along a river bank, but a heron will simply fly up over the grasses and land in your pond, and happily wade in 3 feet or more water to get to your fish with no problems. Unless your pond is 5-6 feet deep minimum and vertically, straight-sided like a swimming pool, your fish are always at risk where ever these efficient fish eaters reside. Herons will simply wade right out over that rock bottom I see in your photos and take their fill.

Good luck!

[QUOTE=bbdrag0n;202241]
    Eugene-

Pamela
    I have seen herons land on their nests at exactly the
    same location every time so no problem with landing on edge of pond or shallower water so why would they want to walk through the grass.?
    Regards
    Eugene

Oyagoi
    Guess that means you were not building a filter like i suggested.

so this pond person was he keeping your koi seperate from others?

if not your risk is high on your koi.

hopefully you have joined the MPKS club in chicago area and there you will get alot of great ideas and such on taking care of your pond yourself and you will be father along BIG TIME.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast