Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Gas crisis - Bio filter?

Gas crisis - Bio filter?

Hi all. Still have now power and my indoor pond filters are on generator power. I was thinking of giving my generator a break for 4-5 hours a night to conserve gas. Think this will be ok on the bio filters or will too much bacteria die?

MCA
    What type of filters? Closed/pressurized like a bead filter....or non pressurized like in a vortex chambers of matting? In your cold nights the bactera should be able to hold on for at least 4 hours. What would be nice is if there was a way just to run the air pumps....but that likely means running the generators.

If you have close/pressuzied filters, clean them before shutting down the pumps to minimize any mulm inside dying during the night. Then backwash briefly in the morning to get rid of any anything that died inside the filters during the night.

Needless to say, watch the pH.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

First thing I did was add Cal-plus from the pool store, before the storm for calcium and buffering. Before I had the generator, I was adding Hydrogen peroxide to increase oxygen levels. 1 quart of pharmacy strength per 5,000gal lasts for 6hrs. They have a much more concentrated form of hydrogen peroxide at the pool stores (Namco pools). It is 9 times stronger than the pharmacy type. So, you use much less. I have done this for years in emergencies...it has never failed me. You could also run the generator with just an air pump for a while with the air stone in your filter. This will keep the bacteria alive as well...without running the whole system. It should save gas.

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

No pressure sysyem. Just want to try and save a little $. I'll try 4-5 hours with daily water changes. I tried it last night with no ammonia spike but, I also haven't been feeding. I just don't want to have a bio crash after a week of doing it.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    No pressure sysyem. Just want to try and save a little $. I'll try 4-5 hours with daily water changes. I tried it last night with no ammonia spike but, I also haven't been feeding. I just don't want to have a bio crash after a week of doing it.
    Thanks for the info.
    In addition to MCA's excellent points, above, about cleaning out a bead filter both before and after a brief shut-down, you are right on point to continue frequent water changes during this stressful period for your pond (and fish). And even better, NO FEEDING. Koi can easily go many days without food if necessary. Remember, people who prep their fish for shows regularly fast them for at least 5 days, some say even longer. A clean 'gut' means less pollution, and less work for your filter.

Good luck, and let us know how your brief shut-downs work. Those of us in Florida are always willing to better learn how to handle hurricane-induced power outages!

Thanks all. Got power back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MCA
    Congrats! I think I would do a nice slow backwash and water change.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    First thing I did was add Cal-plus from the pool store, before the storm for calcium and buffering. Before I had the generator, I was adding Hydrogen peroxide to increase oxygen levels. 1 quart of pharmacy strength per 5,000gal lasts for 6hrs. They have a much more concentrated form of hydrogen peroxide at the pool stores (Namco pools). It is 9 times stronger than the pharmacy type. So, you use much less. I have done this for years in emergencies...it has never failed me. You could also run the generator with just an air pump for a while with the air stone in your filter. This will keep the bacteria alive as well...without running the whole system. It should save gas.
    So you poored hydrogen peroxide into your pond?