Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Tancho Hi

Tancho Hi

In another thread we were going off topic a bit talking about Tancho. So, I thought I'd start a new thread to ask a question.

I have the impression that most Tancho begin as Kohaku, with the orangish blush of color on the body as is seen in those small fry that actually become Kohaku. In some the blush fades on the body, leaving just the head pigment, and on some the blush progresses to the point of forming a pattern that then fades on the body. My impression is that relatively few Tancho show incipient pigment on the head from the beginning. Is this accurate??

If it is an accurate impression, is there a correlation between the koi remaining Tancho for many years (or all of its life), compared to the many that are Tancho as tosai and shiromuji as nisai?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    In another thread we were going off topic a bit talking about Tancho. So, I thought I'd start a new thread to ask a question.

I have the impression that most Tancho begin as Kohaku, with the orangish blush of color on the body as is seen in those small fry that actually become Kohaku. In some the blush fades on the body, leaving just the head pigment, and on some the blush progresses to the point of forming a pattern that then fades on the body. My impression is that relatively few Tancho show incipient pigment on the head from the beginning. Is this accurate??

If it is an accurate impression, is there a correlation between the koi remaining Tancho for many years (or all of its life), compared to the many that are Tancho as tosai and shiromuji as nisai?
    You pose a good question, just when and how does that Tancho Hi show up in fry, tosai, etc,?

If I can also add, hoping it does not drive the original question off track a bit, is the relative 'instability' of the tancho hi plate in a Kohaku related, in any way, to the often commented on instability of this pigmentation in Tancho Showa and Tancho Sanke? I personally find Tancho Showa very attractive and enjoy seeing them in shows. But on more than one occasion I have 'complemented' an exhibitor on their fine Shiro Utsuri only to hear the sad lament that their fish started out with a fine tancho hi spot as well, only to lose it completely in just a few weeks as a nisai.

Jumbo
    Hi Mike, I'm not sure at what age or stage of development you're talking about,... whether it's the first few days,... or weeks in,... I don't know of anyone who has actually done a microscopic progression of a large enough group of fry to single out Tanchos,... from hatch forward. True Tancho Kohakus are obvious at the 1st cull (30 to 50 days). I personally see skin development, and pigment development progressing and sorting itself out simultaneously over the first weeks of life,... with the yellowish hue seen on the whole fry group as not being the true hi plate at all.

Tanchos really have to be seen as a 'type', or one of the many 'molds used' within a Kohaku hatch to wrap your mind around why some grow into incredible Adult Tancho Kohakus and most fail in the long run. The 'Tancho' mold or type has not been refined and advanced specifically,... so in a group of 100,000 Kohaku fry maybe 20 will be Tanchos, AND among those 20 only possibly 2 to 4 will have taken the highly refined genetic code of the most advanced fry in the group,... that is they will have the refined skin type, the refined elastic hi plate, the body type, etc. the parent set has.

Notice the difference in quality of hi plate on this tancho v/s the other Kohaku siblings,... The other Kohakus have a FAR more refined and advanced quality of beni.

Now look at the quality of hi on this Tancho and on it's sibling Kohaku,... these are BOTH the same high quality hi, and should perform similarly as these two Koi develop.

Buying a high quality young Tancho Kohaku really is the same as buying a high quality young Kohaku,... quality beni has to be there, as well as quality skin. It can be difficult though because some of the key indicators don't exist on Tancho, such as the ability to examine the kiwa and the sashi.

Brady Brandwood

Exactly the type of information I was wanting, Brady. Thank you!

The only breeder I've heard about purposefully trying to produce Tancho is Maruju per Mark Gardner's reports on his blog. He seems to have increased the percentage obtained somewhat, but I don't think it has gotten anywhere close to what would be needed to say there was a program to refine the variety.

That's a nice Tancho you produced... gleaming white, too.

In these 30-50 day olds, mostly I find those with the promise of maruten and a blush of body hi, have the head go first.