Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Koi spawning demonstration videos

  1. #21
    Tosai
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41
    Hi ,

    3 weeks ago i had 2 females released eggs, one via natural method another via Ovaprim. Both are fine , albeit slimmer.
    If you have females with eggs ready , you can try to separate them in QT with some plants and 2-3 males.
    i just used soft leaves tips from murraya plant tied together in few bunches. The plants will help stimulate egg release and the males will do the rest.
    I have also used Syndel's Ovaprim on female only , this will also cause eggs to be release with help from few males.
    I help with process of egg release by gently squeezing the body to speed up process and avoid overtiring the kois. As both events happen consecutively over a weekend.


    ts

  2. #22
    Tategoi bobbysuzanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    411
    Thanks, I was looking for an effective treatment when the males, spawning ropes, and water changes don't work. I have heard that stripping females can be hard on them, so wondered if there was a pharmacological method to help.

  3. #23
    Tosai
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41
    If you have tried the natural way with ropes , then only other way i think would be Ovaprim hormone. This should work if you have eggs , you will need males to signal her readiness and help push out the egg. When you see some eggs released , to speed up things and with the female NOT on any anaestatics just gently squeeze the stomach when she swims pass. Not the type of stripping during artificial spawn. With either method you will need to provide her with antibiotics.

    ts

  4. #24
    Nisai
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbysuzanna View Post
    Thanks, I was looking for an effective treatment when the males, spawning ropes, and water changes don't work. I have heard that stripping females can be hard on them, so wondered if there was a pharmacological method to help.
    If natural spawning does not occur and you don't want to strip eggs from females you can try semi-natural (or semi-artificial) method. I never used this method myself but I know that in some countries it is actively used for koi. In this case you inject fish with hormones but put them in pond or tank with substrate to spawn naturally. I would use CPE with dosage for males and females 2 mg per 1 kg; I would inject males earlier (at about 4-5 pm), females - at about 8-10 pm so that fish start spawning next morning.

  5. #25
    Tategoi bobbysuzanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    411
    Thanks for all the help!

  6. #26
    Tosai
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by BorG View Post
    If natural spawning does not occur and you don't want to strip eggs from females you can try semi-natural (or semi-artificial) method. I never used this method myself but I know that in some countries it is actively used for koi. In this case you inject fish with hormones but put them in pond or tank with substrate to spawn naturally. I would use CPE with dosage for males and females 2 mg per 1 kg; I would inject males earlier (at about 4-5 pm), females - at about 8-10 pm so that fish start spawning next morning.
    BorG ,

    Why the need to inject the males in cases of natural spawning? My understanding was the male are ever ready ( assuming mature males) and its the female that need stimulation via hormones to ripen the egg and to release the egg. The signal to spawn will be from the female to the male of its readiness. Hence to inject the male in natural spawning would be counter productive if the female are still not ready even with hormone.

    ts

  7. #27
    Nisai
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Lau Teck Seng View Post
    BorG ,

    Why the need to inject the males in cases of natural spawning? My understanding was the male are ever ready ( assuming mature males) and its the female that need stimulation via hormones to ripen the egg and to release the egg. The signal to spawn will be from the female to the male of its readiness. Hence to inject the male in natural spawning would be counter productive if the female are still not ready even with hormone.

    ts
    ts,

    I think natural spawning is a complex process and its progress is regulated by differently directed signals, both from males to females and from females to males. These signals can be some types of specific behavior and pheromones. We don’t know why natural spawning did not occur. Maybe males have been not sufficiently active and because of this the final maturation and ovulation of eggs did not occur. We cannot regulate the progress of natural spawning by hormonal injections – we try simply to trigger the process which should become self-regulated.

    BorG

  8. #28
    Fry
    Join Date
    Jun
    Location
    Esfahan , Iran
    Posts
    2
    Hi Dr BorG

    Thanks for useful videos . would you please check these questions :

    1) I have some koi about 2 kg and they spawned last spring .now I want to know is it possible to spawn them with your method in early autumn when temperature is around 22 ? ( twice a year . one natural spawning and another artificial )

    2) how much temperature one month aged koi fry can bear ?

    tahnks

  9. #29
    Nisai
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Masih View Post
    Hi Dr BorG

    Thanks for useful videos . would you please check these questions :

    1) I have some koi about 2 kg and they spawned last spring .now I want to know is it possible to spawn them with your method in early autumn when temperature is around 22 ? ( twice a year . one natural spawning and another artificial )

    2) how much temperature one month aged koi fry can bear ?

    tahnks
    Hi Masih,

    Here are answers to your questions. I think that if females spawned in spring it is too early to induce their spawning in fall (autumn) of the same year. If you have some females, which did not spawn in spring, you can try to spawn them in fall. However, fall spawning has two problems. The first one is quality of eggs. In natural conditions carp spawn in spring after cold (cool) period. This period is very important for final conditioning of eggs. In fall hormonal injection will induce ovulation of some portion of eggs but their number will be less than would be in spring and their quality will be not as good as in spring.

    I presume that your second question is connected with the second problem of fall spawn. Where to raise obtained fry if water temperature in ponds is too low? I do not know type of climate at your location but apparently during winter time water temperature in ponds drops significantly. I think one-month-old fry can tolerate graduate drop of temperature to 7-10 degree C but this period should not last long (for example, more than one week). But elongation of cold period to 1-2 months can result in mass mortality.

    BorG
    ricshaw likes this.

  10. #30
    Tosai
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Punta Gorda, Florida
    Posts
    15
    Greeting Koi Heads !
    my Kohaku / Tancho spawned last week !
    I used the standard common way and it was Ovaprim injection and let my Koi their thing at will.
    this was my first attempt breeding my Koi and it worked very well.
    in the near future I will breed my Showa Koi using BorG method.
    However I still have number of questions for Dr. BorG
    Best to All
    T Jon

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ATB TV have now 500 videos of ponds and koi on Youtube
    By aquatechnobel in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2014, 07:29 AM
  2. 23rd san diego koi show videos
    By alvin9xw in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 10:12 PM
  3. New Koi Pics & Videos...
    By JosephandGabby in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2007, 01:25 AM
  4. New Koi Videos...
    By JosephandGabby in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 01:09 AM
  5. Keirin KHV test demonstration
    By HenryC in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-21-2005, 06:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com