Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Koi spawning demonstration videos

Tosai
    Hello MikeM,hi all,
    Now into the 3rd month all fry are doing well and some show vivid colors !
    I estimate the spawn to be as great as over 2,000 and to my surprise only one was removed due to deformities.
    their sizes vary from 1.5 to 3" all in good health.
    I feed the fry pallets 4 times daily and beef heart once a day...I must say the it is a feeding frenzy every time.
    the bulk of the fry are with a friend of mine in a very large round shape tubs and doing ok, i kept only 80 here at my home 125Gal. glass tank for the purpose of study. I did try to liquefy some white fish but the results were bad....the blender turned all of it into fluid and unsuitable for 3 month old baby koi, however i will try it again next year with my Showa and feed liquid fish at early stage.
    Make your Koi happy !
    Cheers
    TJ.-

Having 2,000+ going into the third month is very good given your facilities. Sounds like it's getting to be time to do some culling to promote growth of the better ones. I expect you can tell which are going to be shiromuji and probably tell which are akamuji. Culling these is an easy way to get the numbers down. You might want to keep a couple of these to see what happens.

Tosai
    Hello MikeM, hi all,
    yes you are correct Mike, for the purpose of this study i have kept about 100 at my 125G tank. and the rest of them are in 2 indoor ponds ( with a friend of mine).
    Giving the fact that the mother is a Kohaku with brilliant 3 steps Hi marking one of the males is also a Kohaku with 5 steps hi marking and the other male is a brilliant Tancho i can see clearly that 50% of my fry are shiromuji and only 3 are akamuji, however the rest of the fry are of an unknown coloration
    the one thing that is standing up is size variation, the large fry are almost 4" and the small fry are under 2". the only reason is food. i feed beef hearts once a day and 3-4 times pallet food, 50% protein . the large fish dominate the feeding and therefore i separate them to another tank (just to keep the peace).
    i decided to keep all the fry till January and cull at age of 6 months.
    only 1/100 (at this point) is a keeper.
    cheers,
    TJ.-

OK, but understand that you are wasting food, money and work effort, while allowing continued high levels of competition. Eliminating the shiromuji would reduce the expense and effort, while greatly improving growth and development of the remainder. It hurts to kill off the culls, but that's the price of having beautiful koi. It will hurt more when they are larger, there is no market for them and you confront the fact that you are not going to keep a thousand shiromuji for the next 15 years. I understand why in commercial operations the culls are just tossed in a bucket and thrown out to die slowly by asphyxiation. Not having economic concerns, I would euthanize more humanely. At such a small size, they can be bagged and placed in the freezer. Freezing is painless for cold-blooded creatures, and cheap. ....At this point a Japanese breeder would have culled down to maybe 250, with a number culled simply because the growth was unacceptable with no signs of superlative quality sufficient to justify keeping.

All that said, you are enjoying the project and that is the reason for doing it.

Tosai
    Dear BorG,

need your help

Koi Sedation, for the purpose of spawning (stripping),
    how many grams of MS-222
    for 7 Gallon of water.
    (the method we used was 1 teaspoon / 7 gallon of water)
    thank you
    Tommy

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Jon View Post
    Dear BorG,

need your help

Koi Sedation, for the purpose of spawning (stripping),
    how many grams of MS-222
    for 7 Gallon of water.
    (the method we used was 1 teaspoon / 7 gallon of water)
    thank you
    Tommy
    I add 8 grams of MS-222 to 60-liters (15.9-gallons) tank; or approximately 0.5 g (500 mg) per 1 gallon. So, you should add 3.5 grams of MS-222 for 7 gallons.

BorG
    ricshaw likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456