Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A tale of two sanke begins..

A tale of two sanke begins..

My main two new additions for the 2012 harvest were these two sanke. Two very diffirent sanke..
    The heavy sumi sanke was from the SFF October auction. As nissai she was 59cm at the time of purchase. Pareant koi was Koume. The pattern is a mess at the moment but I believe it will change. The skin quality on this koi is amazing.

The maruten sanke was purchased in November. She was 57cm at the time of purchase and is from the Big Rose parent. I could see some underlying sumi but I was after the more 'refined' sumi look. Again very good skin quality.

To me these are two very different sanke and I look forward to seeing them develop. Based on pattern the maruten sanke is my favorite for now. Based on skin quality...the heavy sumi sanke is my favorite for now.

Would love to hear your thoughts on these two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A tale of two sanke begins..-sanke-57cm.jpg   A tale of two sanke begins..-img_6119.jpg   A tale of two sanke begins..-img_6112.jpg   A tale of two sanke begins..-img_6117.jpg   A tale of two sanke begins..-img_6114.jpg  

A tale of two sanke begins..-img-20121213-00831.jpg  
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.

Both very nice. I'm not sure what the tejima on the ventral fin of the maruten sanke indicates, or if it is even called tejima when located on the ventral fin. But, to me, it seems to bode well for the strength of the sumi on the fish still to appear. I'm thinking that this one is my best pick of the two.

Thanks - yes, based on what you can see now the maruten is also my favorite...untill you see the skin quality of the heavy sumi sanke in real time. It's unreal. She was also way more expensive than the maruten sanke - I'm talking almost double the price! So maybe the breeder knows something we don't always see? I will post some development photos in August after they went to their first show. I expect them to be around 67- 69cm by then and they would have gained some good bulk by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Erns View Post
    Thanks - yes, based on what you can see now the maruten is also my favorite...untill you see the skin quality of the heavy sumi sanke in real time. It's unreal. She was also way more expensive than the maruten sanke - I'm talking almost double the price! So maybe the breeder knows something we don't always see? I will post some development photos in August after they went to their first show. I expect them to be around 67- 69cm by then and they would have gained some good bulk by then.
    Congratulations both great fish. I like the maruten better for now and for future. You can be sure that the breeder knows a lot more. I am looking forward to hearing about their progress over the next couple of years
    Regards
    Eugene

Erns: Why am I not surprised you like the maruten best??

Skin quality is not readily visible in photographs, but I'll take your word for the heavy sumi one being better.

Yes, they are quite different, and in more ways than the quantity of sumi. I like the heavy sumi one best, despite having more sumi than I prefer, because I can see her becoming very large and very imposing. I see a body heavily influenced by Matsunosuke, and with beni more like SFF's Kohaku... not the same as on their Kohaku, but heading in that direction. There will be more sumi coming on the maruten, and the beni is the more advanced type SFF produces, but for me the body structure is not as powerful. The difference in size now is of no consequence. Both are sizable for nisai. In a year, I think the heavy sumi one will be notably longer. My guess is that the maruten will be ready for show sooner, while the other takes a couple of years longer. Both are very nice koi and I'm glad they are in the hands of a koikeeper who can bring out the best each has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Erns: Why am I not surprised you like the maruten best??

Skin quality is not readily visible in photographs, but I'll take your word for the heavy sumi one being better.

Yes, they are quite different, and in more ways than the quantity of sumi. I like the heavy sumi one best, despite having more sumi than I prefer, because I can see her becoming very large and very imposing. I see a body heavily influenced by Matsunosuke, and with beni more like SFF's Kohaku... not the same as on their Kohaku, but heading in that direction. There will be more sumi coming on the maruten, and the beni is the more advanced type SFF produces, but for me the body structure is not as powerful. The difference in size now is of no consequence. Both are sizable for nisai. In a year, I think the heavy sumi one will be notably longer. My guess is that the maruten will be ready for show sooner, while the other takes a couple of years longer. Both are very nice koi and I'm glad they are in the hands of a koikeeper who can bring out the best each has to offer.
    Thanks Mike..I was getting worried...115 views and only 2 replies...phew!

They are with my dealer for the next 6 months in a 100 Ton pond with very few pond mates and the climate there is more tropical so their summer will last till around June where ours stop in around mid May. He also lives in the same area as where our national show will take place this year and I've never had any fish at our national show so looking forward to that.At the end of July I will move them to my pond so they will still have a decent winter. I also thought it good to give them 6 months of stability after the long journey to South Africa - we esitmate that a koi will spend around plus 50 hours in a bag when they are shipped here. I know - crazy stuff!

I agree with you on the size expectation of the two although the maruten is from Big Rose which is called 'Big' for a reason. I have one offspring of her in my pond and she was 67cm as sansai and is now pushing 75cm at 3.5 years old. But we all get a different genetic map for development as do koi so we will see if the "big" stands true!

The heavy sumi one is from a parent koi called Koume of whom I don't know much - she does not even appear on the parent tree SFF published every year so if someone has info regarding this it will be much appreciated. She is a spectacular fish with supperb white skin and the hi is as you remarked. The sumi strong and jet black. The tsubo sumi in the shoulder an absolute bonus and a very cute head pattern. I really look forward to getting her in my pond but I will need to have patience with this one. Now that most of my collection are between 75cm and 85cm even big sansai seems so small when i add a new fish...almost dissapointing?? But then this hobby does teach us patience!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A tale of two sanke begins..-big-rose-72cm.jpg   A tale of two sanke begins..-img_6045.jpg   A tale of two sanke begins..-img_6048.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Erns View Post
    They are with my dealer for the next 6 months in a 100 Ton pond with very few pond mates and the climate there is more tropical so their summer will last till around June where ours stop in around mid May. He also lives in the same area as where our national show will take place this year and I've never had any fish at our national show so looking forward to that.At the end of July I will move them to my pond so they will still have a decent winter. I also thought it good to give them 6 months of stability after the long journey to South Africa !
    That's what I mean about them being in good hands. I think stability and a long period of minimal disturbance is a good thing when dealing with large koi shipped long distances. These are not yet 'large', but they have gone from the beginning of a Japanese winter straight to the middle of a South African summer. The stress hormones leave the fish within a fairly short time, but it has been often observed that it can take months for larger koi to fully recover from the shipping ordeal.

This is another one of my sanke. She is from Shining Rose parent. Bought her at 56cm and now 74cm and still growing well. Hope she will get to 80cm enventually. And I hope the new two will fit in well with the current two big ladies when they finally get here.

This Karashigoi from Marudo is also pond raised since nissai. Got her in April 2011 at 58cm. Now 84cm - she is a beast. For those wondering - my pond is 35 000l and 2.5m deep. 6.5m long and 2.2m wide - so not that big.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A tale of two sanke begins..-sr-sanke.jpg   A tale of two sanke begins..-img_6384.jpg   A tale of two sanke begins..-img_6386.jpg   A tale of two sanke begins..-img_6380.jpg  

appreciate your sharing pictures. I love sanke.

I appreciate haiku and the deep insight it often evokes. here is something from kenko that voices how i feel about the maruten....

In everything, no matter what it may be,
    uniformity is undesirerable. leaving something incomplete makes it interesting, and gives one the feeling
    that there is room for growth.

looking forward to when she finishes.....

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    appreciate your sharing pictures. I love sanke.

I appreciate haiku and the deep insight it often evokes. here is something from kenko that voices how i feel about the maruten....

In everything, no matter what it may be,
    uniformity is undesirerable. leaving something incomplete makes it interesting, and gives one the feeling
    that there is room for growth.

looking forward to when she finishes.....
    Thaks Dick..I think... I'm not familiar with haiku or kenko? Please help me out here?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast