Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Water Changes For Warm Weather Ponds

Water Changes For Warm Weather Ponds

Just curious what kind of water change regimen some of you are keeping through the winter (if any), particularly if you enjoy a seasonably warm, year round temperature in you pond (Say USDA Zones 7-10)?

I have always taken the approach that even though the fish are feeding much less, (or not at all if you believe in a Winter 'fasting' period) the biological filtration systems in our ponds are also not working at anywhere near prime efficiency. I'm therefore still sticking to my personal, and admittedly somewhat arbitrary, goal of 30-40% turnover each week, done in 10% increments if at all possible. But I must confess, I'm often tempted to become a bit of a slacker in this regard when I gaze into that beautiful, stunningly clear water most of us get to enjoy this time of year, brought on by our cooler water temps and the dramatic slow down in bacterial activity that comes with it. You know, the kind of water where you can truly read the date on a dime at 6' depths and more!

And speaking of water temps, I'm assuming many of you, at least in the Deep South, are enjoying our little heat-wave that has driven my pond temps back into the mid 60's lately. But I hear you folks in southern Cali are freezing.....

Oyagoi
    WEll i am in cold zone 4 BUT my pond is indoors 365 days a year
    right now water temp is at 61 degrees(influence by how cool i keep air temp in room and water is 1 -2 degrees less then air temp)

anyway i pretty much keep up the same waterchanges.i usually backwash the 2 ultimas daily(having moving bed also for main bio).so in 10,000 gallons will be around 400-500 gallons a day but i will also admit that somedays does not get done as its basketball season for high school so sometimes its a come home quick change clothes while running up the stairs and then running out the door again.(I could backwash while running but i do not need an oh crap moment sitting at a game).
    normally i start when i come home and get on computer and check a few forums and then i even forget about backwashing when something is interesting on a forum>my the way backwashing now
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society
    Louisville Koi club
    IKONA

MCA
    15-20 percent a week....regardless of time of year or temp. Water changes take out the trash and bring in needed minerals and electrolytes such as sodium, calcium, potassium....etc. there is no substitute for routine water changes.

In summer 2-4% daily flowthrough with weekly or twice weekly exchanges of about 10-15%. In winter 1-2% daily flowthrough and weekly 10-15% exchanges. I treat winter as normal and summer as being 'extra' exchanges. I have been monitoring my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (as well as pH, GH, KH) and have found no evidence that the bio is performing any less than in summer. I'm not sure what to expect, but the bio levels have not increased at all. I even had the shower shut down for approximately 36 hours dring peak cold and had no increase in any bio metrics. Than again my temp is still mid to high 50's... And I did reduce feeding significantly. (Actually the koi reduced feeding, I'm just the messenger of the food.)

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    In summer 2-4% daily flowthrough with weekly or twice weekly exchanges of about 10-15%. In winter 1-2% daily flowthrough and weekly 10-15% exchanges. I treat winter as normal and summer as being 'extra' exchanges. I have been monitoring my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (as well as pH, GH, KH) and have found no evidence that the bio is performing any less than in summer. I'm not sure what to expect, but the bio levels have not increased at all. I even had the shower shut down for approximately 36 hours dring peak cold and had no increase in any bio metrics. Than again my temp is still mid to high 50's... And I did reduce feeding significantly. (Actually the koi reduced feeding, I'm just the messenger of the food.)
    Reducing feeding is an important factor. My water quality is better in the winter even with reduced water changes..

My water changes are about the same... perhaps 30% per week rather than 35-40%.

In South Texas my water tempetures vary from a low of about 52 F to a high of about 87F. I increase/decrease water change amounts and frequency according to seasonal tempertures. Remember from biology 101 that for every 10C increase in temperature biological activity doubles and for every 10C decrease biological activty drops by 50%. The sweet spot for koi (water temperture wise) is about 70-76F. For my pond it hits this sweet spot twice a year. Briefly in the spring for perhaps 2-3 weeks and for a longer period in the fall for maybe 6-8 weeks. My baseline water change is about 30% per week which is accomplished with 15% biweekly changes.

I gradually decrease water changes in winter to 15% once per week. It also works out nicely that I try to fast my koi for 8 weeks in the coldest part of the winter. In summer, I roughtly double the water changes/filter maintenance activity amount and frequency. So in the warmest months I do a 15% change every other day. Additionally I dump sumps and backwash by bead filter every day in the warmer months but only twice a week in the colder months.

This is only a rough guide as I believe water changes and feeding are observation based activities. In summer especially I try to detect any sewer type odor when dumping sumps. Also I watch for any foaming caused by high levels of dissolved organic compounds. If these signs of poor water conditions occur I increase the water change amounts and frequency along with filter maintenance.

I also do a extra large water change right before and when being out of town for a week. I do not have my koi fed while I am away regardless of the season.

Luckily these seasonal changes also work nicely with the water needs of my landscaping.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

I drop it from 100%+ weekly to 40% weekly,flow through drops from 5gph to 2-3 gph when water temps are below 60 dF.

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisatpeace View Post
    I drop it from 100%+ weekly to 40% weekly,flow through drops from 5gph to 2-3 gph when water temps are below 60 dF.
    Huge water changes can make a difference on water quality. I wish I could do more, but added to the cost of water, I recently got a warning about dumping dirty pond water in the street gutter (which is how my pond plumbing is set up).

For 30 years I thought that it was better to dump excess dirty pond water in the street gutter rather than dump it in the sewer line and over tax the sewage treatment facility. Now there is a greater concern for preventing pollutants from entering the storm drain system. I was told now to dump excess dirty pond water in the sewer line.

MCA
    Same thing happened to me in Plano TX years ago. The city said to put the excess pond water (more than I needed for the gardens) into the sewer...not the storm drains. So I did.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast