Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Trickle or Fractioner

Red face Trickle or Fractioner

So I posted this on one of the other forums and now am curious as to the comments here.

I'm sure this has been discussed/debated before but rather than searching all the forum I'll pose the question here. Is it best to have a Trickle Tower and forget a Foam Fractioner or Is it best to have a Foam Fration and forget a Trickle Tower? Or have both?

I built a FF but to this day (a year later) does not produce any foam. Could it be that I have salt in my water. Being on a well using a softener with salt is what is placed in the pond. so confused with all the things a pond.. needs and does not need.

Thanks for any and all comments.

A foam fractionator removes dissolved organic content(docs) and a trickle tower is a bio filter so they do two different things.

So to answer your question:
    If you have doc problems then do more water changes or install a working foam fractionator.
    If you have ammonia problems then install more filtration (or decrease your fish load). A trickle tower is fine or any of the other bio filters or a combo of filters.

Is this just a general question or is there an issue in your pond that you are trying to address?
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

I would go for the most bang for the buck option, if you're already building. Do a shower with a foam fractionator tee placed in the outflow, and kill both birds with one stone.

My shower with FF tee on the outflow has just begun to produce some foam after being in operation over 6 months. The reason (I think) is that I've reduced my water changes just a bit with the reduced activity and feeding of cooler weather. It still doesn't produce much foam, but I know it is designed properly now.
    ricshaw likes this.

MCA
    You don't have to do an "or". The Clarity unit is trifle tower that causes proteins in the water to create foam. There should be several threads on "diy foam fractionator" that will give instructions on how to build one inexpensively.

I had docs last summer and built the better phoam phractioner! It doesn't produce foam but no longer have docs. I have a mechanical bead filter and now know I need a Bio filter. I wasn't clear as to what a bakki was used for. I have the material laying around so another project it is. Thanx to all for the valuable comments.

Daihonmei
    here's the 'skinny' on your question:

a trickle tower has a completely different function from a protein skimmer ( foam fractionator). One acts as primarily a biological filter, breaking down nitrogenous wastes to less toxic forms and the other separates out molecules of protein, starches, sugars and dyes and traps them in a more easily removed foam. So one addesses the presence and build up of inorganic pollutants and the other, inorganic pollutants.
    You pond is a closed system and over time, builds both inorganic nitrogenous and organic wastes. Some would say 'ammonia' and 'organics'. But in truth, this is a production line of inorganic and organic waste. And the many systems and tools we use simply ways to reduce or remove different forms and levels of degradation of these organics and inorganics ( including gaseous forms).

There are true competing systems however. And example of that would be protein skimmers and chemical absorption products. They both do the same thing and therefor compete with one other and reduce the efficiency of one another.

I did a paper on this subject on one of these boards awhile ago which separated out the two families of pollutants and their many sub sets as biology in the pond acts upon them. I'll repost it on ZNA America at some point these weekend. JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    There are true competing systems however. And example of that would be protein skimmers and chemical absorption products. They both do the same thing and therefor compete with one other and reduce the efficiency of one another.
    JR
    Morning JR. They may do the same thing, but using a protein skimmer will help to extend the life of the absorption products.........at least in a saltwater aquarium or reef tank. So if an absorption product lasts longer I don't see how you can say its efficiency has been reduced. Protein skimmers can do an excellent job when well cleaned and properly adjusted, but most people have times when they are not operating at peak capacity. A little redundancy may not be a bad thing. I like to use Poly Filters since they change color when their useful life is about over.

BTW I would think freshwater with salt would foam better than water without any salt.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    Morning JR. They may do the same thing, but using a protein skimmer will help to extend the life of the absorption products.........at least in a saltwater aquarium or reef tank. So if an absorption product lasts longer I don't see how you can say its efficiency has been reduced. Protein skimmers can do an excellent job when well cleaned and properly adjusted, but most people have times when they are not operating at peak capacity. A little redundancy may not be a bad thing. I like to use Poly Filters since they change color when their useful life is about over.

BTW I would think freshwater with salt would foam better than water without any salt.
    They compete with one another with chemical product being more efficient than a FF. In fact, many marine FF units will not work well in the presence of chemical compounds. I have a high end aqua c FF on a 120 gallon marine system for instance and its foam production is iffy ( when lights are off or at dawn) in the presence of chemi pure and polyfilter. in my 180 gallon, a far inferior FF twice as well in the absence of chemical compounds. In most of our hobbies we do feel a need to wear a 'belt AND suspenders'. Best, JR

This is a tee (4") reduced to 3" at the top, giving me a foam fractionator attached to a small DIY 55g shower used on a temporary holding tank.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisatpeace View Post
    This is a tee (4") reduced to 3" at the top, giving me a foam fractionator attached to a small DIY 55g shower used on a temporary holding tank.

looks good, but how do you get
    the foam out of the pipe? JR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast