Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: the economy claims another koi outlet

Daihonmei

the economy claims another koi outlet

Sad news from a UK friend this morning- our own Maurice Cox is closing his breeding facility at the end of the year. For those who hug around this forum and NI in the old days, Maurice was a staple! He would come up with the most interesting filter designs and provide solutions for common problems common in some of the prefilter designs of the day. I have to admit I was a skeptic when I saw Maurice in Japan traveling all over buying breeding stock. I recall seeing him at Momotaros shopping with a very quiet serious bent of a 'man with a plan'. But sooon he was turning out some very good tosai and I had to acknowledge he was a man with vision and talent. Very sad to see the shrinking UK economy taking another victim. Maurice's dream was a gift to the koi hobbyist in the UK. JR

It seems no time ago that Maurice was posting on NI about his adventure into serious breeding. He did it for the love of koi. I hope he got as much pleasure out of the undertaking as he put energy into it.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It seems no time ago that Maurice was posting on NI about his adventure into serious breeding. He did it for the love of koi. I hope he got as much pleasure out of the undertaking as he put energy into it.

and I did love to debate the guy. he was a knowledgable and worthy adversary! I do think the mock battle got to him once in a while! LOLs
    But the man is still with us in spirit so maybe he will remain a hobbyist! Someone should reach out to him to see if he has plans to remain 'in koi' in some fashion. JR

MCA
    I remember his posts on doing static K1 beds for prefilters and moving bed bio filter. He also showed how he designed and built a pond system....etc. He was indeed a very nice guy. Very sad to hear of his difficulties.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    I remember his posts on doing static K1 beds for prefilters and moving bed bio filter. He also showed how he designed and built a pond system....etc. He was indeed a very nice guy. Very sad to hear of his difficulties.
    Koi UK Ltd. The Home of English Bred Koi.
    here is the website-- hope the liquidation goes far beyond his expectations! Best of Luck Maurice.

Sad News! I met Maurice once in Japan I think in 2007. Nice guy and fun to chat with! I too hope he stays in the hobby.

I am sorry to hear that news as well. He was getting a carmel colored chagoi that i really wanted. most were males but every once and a while he'd get a female. good person, and hate to see anyone's dreams dashed.

Sorry to hear about Maurice, the British economy would not have helped. It is very difficult to make money breeding koi unless you have the market. Even if one could breed koi as good as the Japanese and did not have the Asian maket one would not survive. As it costs a lot more to produce the higher grade fish.
    I might have started breeding untill I visited Japan.
    Regards
    Eugene

He had the most awesome Chags around. I tried really hard to talk him into shipping one here but he couldn't.

I'm really sorry to hear he's closing.