Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: To breed or not to breed?

Tategoi

To breed or not to breed?

That is the question.

To obtain nice koi and keep one growing in this hobby and sell "koi" to maintain one's hobby... would it be easier to breed and sell your offspring... or to import/"buy ok domestic" koi and sell them later to recover the cost??

Ex: One can buy 5 nisai for X and enjoy them for X years and sell them later to cover 20% of the hobby? or breed/sell to cover %?

Quote Originally Posted by chang26k View Post
    That is the question.

To obtain nice koi and keep one growing in this hobby and sell "koi" to maintain one's hobby... would it be easier to breed and sell your offspring... or to import/"buy ok domestic" koi and sell them later to recover the cost??

Ex: One can buy 5 nisai for X and enjoy them for X years and sell them later to cover 20% of the hobby? or breed/sell to cover %?
    I think it has been proven by many that it is much easier and cheaper to buy then breed.

Breeding should be something you want to gain knowledge thru and not something that you would expect a return on $$$$. Biggest thrill I ever got was breeding a reserve GC while competing against japanese bred koi.
    Do it because your passionate about the hobby.

The reason I got into breeding was the potential to create something new or different.............which is pretty difficult. Plus I was tired of buying koi that had been culled by others. (l was buying to resell and getting a lot of crappy stuff in the mix) So far it hasn't been that profitable, but I do enjoy it.

MCA
    IMHO: Leave koi breeding to the very experienced who have bloodlines worth owning. The last thing the hobby needs is more tateshita.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    IMHO: Leave koi breeding to the very experienced who have bloodlines worth owning. The last thing the hobby needs is more tateshita.
    Wouldn't tateshita make the "very experienced who have bloodlines worth owning" be worth more? Or was the koi world better when every yellow koi was worth $60k?

Or, should this hobby be like golf where only the rich or very experienced can play in? Should koi hobbyist be invited/ascended to a higher class of hobbyist?

I think flooding the ebay market with $10 koi is fine because it's still better then the Wal-Mart $10 koi don't you? How did you end up being the "Straight from Japan... For the Serious Hobbyist!" Did you start at walmart with gold fish? Or where you an American, who is greedy; that found this hobby and found that going to Japan to buy koi is easier then breeding your own and can sell better and better investment for the bottom line...? Yeah, sorry, I need to work on my rants so I will sound more professional.

So, more business talk. What is best for the bottom line?
    Breeder or "dealer"? The thing in Japan is now hybrid. Breeder now must be dealers as well. Will this work as a local koi hobbyist?

As an American, what is better for the bottom line? To breed or not to breed?
    Akitsushima Tombo

Quote Originally Posted by chang26k View Post
    Wouldn't tateshita make the "very experienced who have bloodlines worth owning" be worth more? Or was the koi world better when every yellow koi was worth $60k?

Or, should this hobby be like golf where only the rich or very experienced can play in? Should koi hobbyist be invited/ascended to a higher class of hobbyist?

I think flooding the ebay market with $10 koi is fine because it's still better then the Wal-Mart $10 koi don't you? How did you end up being the "Straight from Japan... For the Serious Hobbyist!" Did you start at walmart with gold fish? Or where you an American, who is greedy; that found this hobby and found that going to Japan to buy koi is easier then breeding your own and can sell better and better investment for the bottom line...? Yeah, sorry, I need to work on my rants so I will sound more professional.

So, more business talk. What is best for the bottom line?
    Breeder or "dealer"? The thing in Japan is now hybrid. Breeder now must be dealers as well. Will this work as a local koi hobbyist?

As an American, what is better for the bottom line? To breed or not to breed?
    I am not familiar with $60k yellow Koi and $10. eBay Koi.