Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Prepping for a show

Nisai

Prepping for a show

Thinking about the Orlando Koi show.....How do you prep your fish for a show?
    I think most go through a feeding and fasting regeime. Anyone care to discuss their regeime?

Not a pro but still learning from a friend in Texas that had won several GC last couple years. For gosanke, feed color food and stop 6 weeks before the show and then feed food with higher silk content to bring out the shiroji and also use koiclay. I could be wrong.

Show is only four weeks away- not much time to do much now. Preperation takes months. If you are interested we can talk about what to do, but if you are showing in four weeks the number one thing you can do at this point is maintain high water quality. The concentration is on the water quality to get the most sheen and luster out of the koi. Earlier on you could have varied the food source to achieve color enhancement of the hi, sumi and shiroji. That is why it takes months to prepare because good things in koi do not happen overnight.

Some will PP the pond or even the koi for different reasons, but we won't get into all of that, as it is beyond the scope of the average keeper and should be left to those with expertise and equipment necessary.

Preparing at this time also means getting out the gear and making sure you have backup plans and equipment should something happen to and from the show. Transportation and necessary equipment is a whole thread itself, with many opinions as to which way is best to pack and transport a koi.

Are you showing or attending the Central show?
    Tim

Are you showing or attending the Central show?[/QUOTE]

Planning attending. Which day is the judging and what time is it finished? Depending on driving conditions and since I have never driven to Florida. It would be nice to drive along on S Carolina coast on way back and visit great koi farms Lotus Koi ,as well as Quality koi and my dear friend in Phily who is 93 years old.
    Only right that I spend my US dividends in the US especially the health care ones also feel a lot safer in my truck. Not from guns but US drivers
    Regards
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    Are you showing or attending the Central show?
    Planning attending. Which day is the judging and what time is it finished? Depending on driving conditions and since I have never driven to Florida. It would be nice to drive along on S Carolina coast on way back and visit great koi farms Lotus Koi ,as well as Quality koi and my dear friend in Phily who is 93 years old.
    Only right that I spend my US dividends in the US especially the health care ones also feel a lot safer in my truck. Not from guns but US drivers
    Regards
    Eugene[/QUOTE]

Judging is on Saturday. The judges usually finish around 4pm. (I think they could finish much sooner, but they seem to enjoy stretching it out to fill the day. )

I always get "tickled" when i read all of the timing, and various feeds it takes to get ready for a show. I quess if that makes the owners feel like their doing something, then it's worth it.

To me the benefit of preparing a koi for a show begins the day after the last one and continues for a year later, till the next time. It's a constant attention to the needs of the fish including good food and good water. know if and when to feed color food as/if needed. At what stage should we grow the koi or slow it down for the show ( depends on the time of year)I think many follow along a prescribed program because they don't know what to do or what to look for and all the "preshow jitters" or energy has to go somewhere's...

In the world of competition, I feel a koi show is a distance "run" and not a sprint.

If I had a dime for every wannabee show winner koi enthusiast, who complained they always had sick fish and no growth, it could be easily found that there were no "a" or "B" teams among the pond, simply fish they lugged around back to back from show to show. With a blind concept that one of the judges might find favor in different ones. No idea if a koi was ready or not. but as they say, that's what makes the world go round. I just hate seeing the enthusiasm, wane out of them and then watch them drop out of the hobby. We need good bright young people to pick up where our oldsters are beginning to fade. and they need to slow down some of their enthusuasm by listening to some sage advice realizing this hobby takes time to learn the ropes.
    Dick Benbow

Quote Originally Posted by KatieVL View Post
    Thinking about the Orlando Koi show.....How do you prep your fish for a show?
    I think most go through a feeding and fasting regeime. Anyone care to discuss their regeime?
    I believe that many more people have messed up their fish before a show than have helped them. With only a month or less before the Orlando show there is little time and opportunity to prep your koi. This is my personal recommendations based on the spring time season of the Orland Koi Show. Different shows at different times of the year could have different recommendations. Some things I would recommend you avoid are:

DO NOT over feed or feed the wrong type of food with color additives or high protein levels. In general you want to reduce the feeding amount gradually the month or so before the show to about 1/3 normal levels. For larger fish over 24 inches stop feeding entirely 7 days before the show for smaller fish stop feeding 5 days before the show.

DO NOT use any type of pond treatments unless you have identified a specific problem and if that is the case one month before a show you should not show any fish from a pond with recent disease or parasite problems.

Some of the things you should be doing are:

DO provide the best possible water quality and cleanest possible pond/filter system. Larger and more frequent water changes (assuming your source water is good) will go a long way to bringing out the best in your koi. Don't forget to use dechlorinator if your source water contains chlorine. If your source water contains chloramine you do not want to change more water than your bio-filter can handle the additional ammonia produced from splitting the ammonia from the chlorine. Use a test kit and be ready to add amquel or some other proven ammonia binder. However you really do not want to be adding ammonia binders so if this is required you should back off the amount of water changes as needed.

Do get all the equipment you will need to transport your koi to a show in order. New plastic bags large enough to double bag and accommodate your koi comfortably. Usually you want bags that are 18 to 24 inches larger than the fish you are bagging. plus fish transport boxes or large coolers sized to fit the water filled fish bags. Usually about 6 - 9 longer than your koi. You will need a oxygen tank with a regulator and a supply of fresh rubber bands. You want the bag about 1/3 filled with fish and water and 2/3 with pure oxygen. You will also need a good koi net and tub to catch and hold the fish for easier transfer to the bags. I highly recommend a dress rehearsal. Get someone who has transported fish to a show to help you if possible - even if just for the rehearsal. Usually you can find a local club member willing to give a demonstration prior to show day and if you are lucky willing to help you catch and bag your koi for the show. Coming home from the show you can easily find volunteers to help you catch and bag your koi at the show site for the trip home.

It is much easier to transport a few boxes of smaller to medium sized koi for your first show experience. Welcome to the koi show inner group. Plan things out well ahead of time to make everything less stressful and allow yourself to enjoy showing your koi. Good luck and welcome to the show experience.
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Bumped up for Loco4koi

Hi ALL you guys State Side travel huge numbers of miles to get to a show, But I would be looking at a few factors which so far have not been mentioned.
    Why were all Koi shows at the back end of a year, when the temps were dropping and the day light hours shorter ?
    Mainly because there was less work needed on the farm.
    That being so, fish 'show' best when they have started to consolidate after a growth period.The depth of color is catching up with the expanding body.
    Light has not been mentioned, any one who has kept and bred other fish will know just how much a fish changes with regard to light .
    Shorter days ( less number of daylight hours ) less intensity ( change of light frequency /due to angle of sun ) Temperatures.

If you are able to stop growth, colors deepen ! stop feeding !
    Drop temperatures ( hard to do when air temps are high !) add cooling plant ( if you have the cash !)
    Reduce light, add shade to pond or add clay to cloud water ( buy this from potters dried and ground )

Think how to reduce stress on your koi
    Add salt 0.5 % will reduce its O2 NEEDS
    Think about low dose of anesthetics,
    Add freezer blocks or ice to packaging
    These are things that you can do NOW , AND STILL BE READY IN FOUR WEEKS.

THINGS YOU COULD HAVE DONE , but are now too late ( for this show )

Treat your fish for YHV ( YELLOW HEAD VIRUS ) USE REMEDOR OR OTHER SIMILar product.
    Reduce protein intake before stopping feed.
    Give color additives in larger doses
    But reducing both light and temperature will improve the look of your Koi, SKIN IS ALL ABOUT GENETICS ! THEY HAVE THE GENES OR THEY DON'T !

good luck to all who show their Koi, hope they get home safe.

Have to politely disagree with the salt pre-show. Also, randomizing feeding in the last month is far more effective than stopping, it will "turn off" fish growth, while still providing some building blocks for color improvement while keeping the fish's immune system fully active. 2 weeks of fasting can cut immune response by up to 50%, at a time when they need to have a fully functioning immune system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast