Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Here's a funny/not-so-funny story

Daihonmei

Here's a funny/not-so-funny story

AOL.com Video - Monster Goldfish Are Breeding in Lake Tahoe

The story should be taken seriously * but not too seriously ( see the carp they think is a goldfish caught in France in this one) JR

All they have to do is let a few snakeheads go and the goldfish problem will be solved.

Not surprising that in the rush to get out a story they miss some of the facts. like goldfish don't have barbels. But hey, keep taking those bass out and see what happens to the goldfish population.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Not surprising that in the rush to get out a story they miss some of the facts. like goldfish don't have barbels. But hey, keep taking those bass out and see what happens to the goldfish population.
    So true Dick. What this piece does for all of us koi kichi in the know is to make us realize that Internet news, even news featuring what are supposed to be 'professionals' and experts at what they do, are faulty reports!
    I have very mixed feelings about the concerns of introduced species. I mean, in general it is NOT a good idea! But the hype and alarmist response is a bit over the top. Take the pytons in the everglades for instance-- one would think they were flowing all over the state. Yet a recent 'roundup' of bounty hunters was only able to capture 68 snakes with 1600 collectors covering a million plus acres. If you compare that to one of our rattle snake hunts, its a tiny population! In NJ now and no one is happier than our own frog/stone fish-- they eat the invading lion fish like popcorn! Easy easy prey for the camo stone monsters. And then there is man-- a much hated species according to the green militant-- capable of overfishing and destroying entire species. yet somehow we are told by these same folks that man is helpless in dealing with introduced species?? Which is it? we are super efficient at eradication of all species -or- we are helpless in cutting the numbers of species?? Dang that JR and his pesky logic

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    So true Dick. What this piece does for all of us koi kichi in the know is to make us realize that Internet news, even news featuring what are suposed to be 'professionals' and experts at what they do, are faulty reports!
    I have very mixed feelings about the concerns of introduced species. I mean, in general it is NOT a good idea! But the hype and alarmist response is a bit over the top. Take the pytons in the everglades for instance-- one would think they were flowing all over the state. Yet a recent 'roundup' of bounty hunters was only able to capture 68 snakes with 1600 collectors covering a million plus acres. If you compare that to one of our rattle snake hunts, its a tiny population! of NJ now and no one is happier than our own frog/stone fish-- they eat the invading lion fish like popcorn! Easy easy prey for the camo stone monsters. And then there is man-- a much hated species according to the green militant-- capable of overfishing and destroying entire species. yet somehow we are told by these same folks that man is helpless in dealing with introduced species?? Which is it? we are super efficient at eradication of all species -or- we are helpless in cutting the numbers of species?? Dang that JR and his pesky logic
    Perhaps we do not know our limitations.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Perhaps we do not know our limitations.

LOls

On a good weekend in parts of Texas they can round up 500-1000 snakes.

Point is ( and I'm sure you'll agree) , nature is an opportunist! It is true enough that a new species will compete to try and find a place or niche within an existing ecosystem. And greenies point out that they will push out some whimpy native species and take over. IF a native species can't handle the competition, then it will give way-- that is KINDA the POINT of ecosystems!!! But what greenies really miss is that it is a food chain- with an emphasis on the word FOOD. I would not like to come back to this life as a baby python in the everglades!! Not only are the winters way too cold for 'me' in the glades, but there are so many predators who haven't quite worked me into their menu yet! But they will! A big Florida king can easily strangle a baby python to death. And they do like to eat other snakes as much as mice. Death from the sky comes in many versions and variations for a snake in the everglades-- and have I mentioned the big boy yet? Alligators? My brother gives tours of the glades and always can find a few of those big boys to impress the tourists in the canoe with him. I'd suggest there are a LOT more alligators than pythons and they are apex predators.
    Nope, pythons are putting on a good effort but unless they are 'restocked' by pet owners, the core population will 'persist' rather then 'flourish'. Come to think of it, it really isn't much different in garden ponds vs koi ponds for THAT man made introduced species- the nishikigoi-- in some ponds the koi persist and need replenishing regularly. IN a great koi pond, we are tayloring the system to the koi's specific needs and protecting them from predation at the same time, and they flourish! Come to think about it, we need those greenies to protect those poor little baby pythons from a 'foreign world' they are trying to persist in! JR

Jumbo
    Yeah I had to laugh when I read the results of the 'Python Round-up'. I think that whole campaign is just another reflection of people's ingrained fear and loathing of snakes in general,... and the thought that an 18 FOOT LONG snake may be breeding out there somewhere,............ YIKES!!! I agree with you totally JR! Florida is a huge swirl of predator/prey! Good luck to the Pythons.

I think a more productive round-up would be a Canadian Geese egg round-up in the Spring. Those things will be demanding voting rights soon.

Brady

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Brandwood View Post
    Yeah I had to laugh when I read the results of the 'Python Round-up'. I think that whole campaign is just another reflection of people's ingrained fear and loathing of snakes in general,... and the thought that an 18 FOOT LONG snake may be breeding out there somewhere,............ YIKES!!! I agree with you totally JR! Florida is a huge swirl of predator/prey! Good luck to the Pythons.

I think a more productive round-up would be a Canadian Geese egg round-up in the Spring. Those things will be demanding voting rights soon.

Brady

very cool little guy! dark for a corn? My brother tells me in his Fort Myers Florida property he has an indigo snake living in a den. I do love the 'lower forms of life' ( Hell's angels and my former hippy brethren excluded of course LOLs). Best, JR

How are they going to eliminate the goldies without killing off the entire lake? From what I hear carp are not exactly the tastiest of fish so would be tossed back. Put a bounty on them? Who would pay? Knowing California they would tax the good fish owners to pay for cleaning up the result of the actions of the bad fish owners.

Jumbo
    I personally am curious how many Goldfish have actually been found. Who knows what size that Comet was when it was dumped in there. Goldfish aren't the fastest fish,... Bass, Brem, Catfish, and other game fish, as well as fish eating birds and bullfrogs would/will keep any mass breedings in check,... particularly the fry that show any bright coloration. IF Goldfish have been breeding in that lake for any number of years they would find larger populations of adult green/brown/black Goldfish.

Brady

Baby Large Mouth Bass

Snapper