Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: JR's Aeromonas Alley

JR's Aeromonas Alley

JR- In the recent KoiUSA magazine you had a terrific article titled Aeromonas Alley. I agree with what you have to say and you did a great job of conveying the message. I have a single question if I may? The second to last paragraph you say "The key is preparation of koi for winter, monitoring the depth and breadth of winter water temperatures and seeing to the quality of winter water." Can you describe the "preparation of koi for winter"? I am thinking you mean feeding, but do not know if you are including maintenance and husbandry as well or maybe your even talking in a 'fundemental philosophy' sort of way??? I implement flow through daily exchange of 2-3% daily in winter and 3-5% daily in summer, along with weekly water changes and twice weekly (sometimes) in summer. I feed Kenzen Primary Diet 49% protein throughout year and take it lightly in winter when they want to eat...I am wondering what other preparations you could suggest for me...Thanks-

Tim

Oh- almost forgot- my favorite line of the article- "Every year my koi, and the koi of hundreds of other keepers I know, experience a rise in temperature thru the 50s and 60s and yet our bottles of antibiotics sit on the shelves unopened, long after the expiration date." Spot on!!!

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    JR- In the recent KoiUSA magazine you had a terrific article titled Aeromonas Alley. I agree with what you have to say and you did a great job of conveying the message. I have a single question if I may? The second to last paragraph you say "The key is preparation of koi for winter, monitoring the depth and breadth of winter water temperatures and seeing to the quality of winter water." Can you describe the "preparation of koi for winter"? I am thinking you mean feeding, but do not know if you are including maintenance and husbandry as well or maybe your even talking in a 'fundemental philosophy' sort of way??? I implement flow through daily exchange of 2-3% daily in winter and 3-5% daily in summer, along with weekly water changes and twice weekly (sometimes) in summer. I feed Kenzen Primary Diet 49% protein throughout year and take it lightly in winter when they want to eat...I am wondering what other preparations you could suggest for me...Thanks-

Tim

Oh- almost forgot- my favorite line of the article- "Every year my koi, and the koi of hundreds of other keepers I know, experience a rise in temperature thru the 50s and 60s and yet our bottles of antibiotics sit on the shelves unopened, long after the expiration date." Spot on!!!
    Hi Tim, off to judge the San Diego koi show at 5 am so I'll be brief and we can talk again when I'm back on Monday.

Thanks I'm glad you got something out of the article. Prep would certainly involve conditioning your koi in Late August thru late October. Food and great water are really all that is needed, as their bodies will do the rest. Any very small koi, koi that were sick during the past six months and koi that just were imported, should be brought inside to continue to strengthen and not be asked to go thru a hard winter. Even in Japan when they used to stay out, they only experience a relatively short winter ( more like NC for instance than NY). The snow is deep but when covered they only had to last 10-12 weeks.
    So once you know your koi are solid then you wnat to keep things stable-- 45F is about as low as you want water to get if possible. There are many 'tricks' and techniques to cheat the full effects of winter. One most important one is the tenting of the pond to keep wind chill and rain/snow out of the pond.
    Its late and I need to get some sleep for the trip tomorrow. Speak again soon. Best, JR

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    So glad you noticed that.
    A healthy pond rarely needs any injections and JR's sage advice on preparing both Koi and Ponds for winter keeps both well.

MCA
    And we did not dump bags of salt into the pond. Shocking ain't it?

I thought the article was great. I was less than excited about the next article, that instructed folks to put the rocks from their filters to be hosed off in the driveway and to add salt every year.