Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lam's 10,000 US Gallon Formal Raised Koi Pond

Lam, on my next pond everything will go throught sieves then MC-50 Multicyclone then large shower sitting above a large water basin gravity flow back to the pond via water fall plus TPRs

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisatpeace View Post
    Lam, 100 micron sieves do not clog any faster than 300s. My DIY 100 micron sieve, built around a Cetus 100 micron screen, has run constantly for a year now with no clogging, and I feed 3-6 times a day in summer, and usually at least a small amount almost every day of the year. I have removed and cleaned the screen three times in that year, usually from algae filling in the gaps, but usually just brush it down in place once a week.
    Will, I have heard conflicting responses about the 100 micron sieves. Some say that it clogs up very easily requiring at least twice daily cleaning during periods of heavy feeding and there are others like yourself who say that it works very well.

As far as the sand and gravel filter is concerned, they will be at the end of the long throw filter chamber so will be used mostly for micro fines polishing. Therefore they won't clog up as often.......but they are a pain in the rear to clean, though.

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom View Post
    Lam, on my next pond everything will go throught sieves then MC-50 Multicyclone then large shower sitting above a large water basin gravity flow back to the pond via water fall plus TPRs
    Tom
    Tom, just like any other filtration, I just wish that I had personal experience with these MC-50 multicyclone filters. I have read up on them and followed chit chats about them on other forums. The overall consensus that I got is that they do require high pressure pumps. Furthermore, the MC-50 has a max flow of 5,000 gph for maximum efficacy. This means I will need a pump that will flow approx 13,000 to 15,000 gph so that by the time I lose head loss, I will have a flow of 10,000 gph pumping through two of these MC-50 to one set of showers. I just wish there was a way for microfines water polishing w/o losing too much flow/pressure...........

Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Tom, just like any other filtration, I just wish that I had personal experience with these MC-50 multicyclone filters. I have read up on them and followed chit chats about them on other forums. The overall consensus that I got is that they do require high pressure pumps. Furthermore, the MC-50 has a max flow of 5,000 gph for maximum efficacy. This means I will need a pump that will flow approx 13,000 to 15,000 gph so that by the time I lose head loss, I will have a flow of 10,000 gph pumping through two of these MC-50 to one set of showers. I just wish there was a way for microfines water polishing w/o losing too much flow/pressure...........
    My future plan is to have one MC-50 and one pump for each Cetus flowing no more then 5,000 GPH and at this flowrate it will only generate 1 PSI which 2' of head loss. You can't beat Birdman's design on the S&G filter with a pump to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom View Post
    My future plan is to have one MC-50 and one pump for each Cetus flowing no more then 5,000 GPH and at this flowrate it will only generate 1 PSI which 2' of head loss. You can't beat Birdman's design on the S&G filter with a pump to clean.
    I am leaning this way, Tom. But will definitely build a filter pit big enough to fit a few MC-50's if I ever change my mind down the road.....

I was wondering why a S&G filter is so hard to clean??? I just went out to my pond at 5:28 est and completed the cleaning of two 55gal tanks at 5:36. And mostly stood in front of the filters watching the blower do its job. I would have reported earlier but my wife was online shopping for Mother of the Bride dress. So I went out and cleaned the bead filter...........

I have had the filter in place for two years, and just recently added a bag of grit to each tank, with no other issues ??

Will, I have heard conflicting responses about the 100 micron sieves. Some say that it clogs up very easily requiring at least twice daily cleaning during periods of heavy feeding and there are others like yourself who say that it works very well.

As far as the sand and gravel filter is concerned, they will be at the end of the long throw filter chamber so will be used mostly for micro fines polishing. Therefore they won't clog up as often.......but they are a pain in the rear to clean, though.
    Lam, why do you think S&G filters are a pain to clean? I blow mine out with a 2HP shop vac, easy and quick. Uses about 150 gallons to flush it, but it is very far from difficult. You could easily do as Tim has, and permanently attach a blower. Then, you just work 2 valves, flip a switch, and wait for the water to clear, then the valves again. What's so hard about that? Even adds in a mini water change.

I guess with the screen the question is what is clogging it for the people who say it is clogging? Sounds like an algae or organics problem, perhaps originated from feeding too much. I feed my koi well, my Purdin tosai went from 4-5" to 16" in a year. So I guess I'm confused as to how it is clogging. I might buy one replacement screen and try it out, I'm sure it is different for each pond situation. If I had a 300 micron screen, it would let most of the waste through that I'm catching.
    Will Schultze
    (931) 338-6174

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisatpeace View Post
    Lam, 100 micron sieves do not clog any faster than 300s. My DIY 100 micron sieve, built around a Cetus 100 micron screen, has run constantly for a year now with no clogging, and I feed 3-6 times a day in summer, and usually at least a small amount almost every day of the year. I have removed and cleaned the screen three times in that year, usually from algae filling in the gaps, but usually just brush it down in place once a week.

I don't know what to tell you, I have put a 100 micron screen on the cetus sieve and went back to the 300 micron because the 100 micron screen was clogging all the time... it gets a bio film on it further reducing the pore size until the water can't pass through it fast enough and the sieve would be half full of water.... I was having to take it out every couple of days and clean it. I have no algae as this is on the indoor system... this is my experience with them... if yours is working great, that is interesting, but it didn't work for me..

I am leaning this way, Tom. But will definitely build a filter pit big enough to fit a few MC-50's if I ever change my mind down the road.....

The mc-50's don't take much room,Lam, they can go right on top of the pump outlet and are about the same size as a pump... Bill Putnam and I tried these out and it was our conclusion that they weren't very good for a pond situation, they are designed for a higher head pump like in a swimming pool... I was surprised that Zac tried them out and liked them.... they need a high flow rate to work properly or the stuff doesn't vortex out in the little holes...

Quote Originally Posted by powerman View Post
    The mc-50's don't take much room,Lam, they can go right on top of the pump outlet and are about the same size as a pump... Bill Putnam and I tried these out and it was our conclusion that they weren't very good for a pond situation, they are designed for a higher head pump like in a swimming pool... I was surprised that Zac tried them out and liked them.... they need a high flow rate to work properly or the stuff doesn't vortex out in the little holes...
    Thanks for sharing, Dan. I am not a fan of putting unnecessary pressure on pumps just to polish water. And, as you mentioned, these MC-50 multicyclones need a high flow rate just to work and higher flow rate means higher head loss. That's a lot of wasted energy consumption......there has to be a better way to polish water.

Thank you all for the comments on S&G filters......there is a very good chance that I will stick with my original plan of using these S&G filters for water polishing........

Need to post sketches of my pond soon...................

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast