Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lam's 10,000 US Gallon Formal Raised Koi Pond

Lam's 10,000 US Gallon Formal Raised Koi Pond

My DW and I are building a home and I would like to incorporate a 10,000 US gallon raised formal koi pond in the backyard. This pond will be used to raise 10-12 jumbo gosanke for my own personal enjoyment. This pond that will be a reflection of all the things I have learned from all of you and others I have met on my journey through this hobby.

I am in the process of drawing up my pond design. In the meantime, below are the goals and pond description. Please note that I am still very early in my planning phase and that things will continue to change.

Goal: To build a low-maintenance koi pond to raise 10-12 jumbo gosanke
    Total Volume: 10,000 US gallons, 1/4th to 1/3rd of which will be filtration volume
    Pond Design: Totorri Onishi 'River' linear streamflow design with water entering from shallow end of pond and exiting at deep end
    Dimensions: 9' wide x 24-26' long x 3' deep at shallow end tapering down to 6' at deep end
    Longthrow Chamber: 4' wide x 4' deep x 24-26' - 1 mechanical bay, 2 bays of Jmat cartridges, 2 bays of fluidized K1/biochips
    Raised Height: 2'6" raised from patio floor to top of pond
    Glass Window: 2' x 6' glass viewing window along length of pond next to patio so I can see koi from kitchen nook
    TOR: 15-30 minutes....equates to 2-4 x per hours
    # Filtration Circuits: 3
    Filtration Circuit #1: Two 4" ABD's gravity feed one Aqua Forte Ultrasieve III pumped by one ES8500 to one set of feather rock showers
    Filtration Circuit #2: Two 4" non-aerated BD's gravity feed one Aqua Forte Ultrasieve III pumped by one ES 8500 to one set of feather rock showers
    Filtration Circuit #3: Four 12" wide pool skimmers gravity feed to mechanical chamber of longthrow filtration bay that will gravity flow through two bays of Jmat cartridges and two bays of fluidized K1 kaldnes/biochips that will be pumped back to shallow end via either (1) air lifts (2) axial pond pump or (3) standard pump that will feed three sand and gravel filters that will return via 18" wide weir waterfall. This long-throw filtration chamber will be designed in such a way so that it can handle flow of up to 25,000 gph.
    Shell Material: gunite w/ Xypex mixed in gunite and applied to interior of pond after gunite has dried
    Aeration: two aerated 4" BD's, one aeration hose spanding the width of the deep end, two aerated fluidized beds, 18" weir waterfall and two sets of feather rock showers.
    KISS Principle: Keep It Simple Stoopid.......filtration bays and showers will be adjacent to pond. Utilize low pressure pumps with low power consumption and/or airlifts and/or axial pumps to move water.
    Pond Must Haves: UV light, natural gas pool heater, removable winter pond cover
    Last edited by Lam Nguyen; 02-27-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Save for Lam - House/Pond Layout
    Last edited by Lam Nguyen; 02-27-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Save for Lam II - Pond Drawings
    Last edited by Lam Nguyen; 02-27-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Save for Lam III - Filtration Circuits

Pond Items I Currently Have:
    - 2 sets of 4' long fiberglass High Desert Koi shower trays.....each set has three trays and can flow up to 15,000 gph
    - 20 cubic feet of feather rocks (enough to fill 4 of the fiberglass shower trays)
    - 3 ES8500 low pressure pumps.....each pump can deliver a maximum of 8,500 gph
    - 2 Artesian Performance Pro 1/4hp low pressure pumps
    - 1 William Lim 1/2hp low pressure pump
    - 2 Wide Mouth Waterway skimmers modified to 4" outlet for gravity flow
    - 3 Well Made water tanks with 55 gallon sand and gravel filter kits
    Last edited by Lam Nguyen; 03-02-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Hi Lam,

Well thought out and no doubt shows countless hours of consultation, design, and planning. I like to see KISS applied to every aspect of life, but especially when it comes to building koi ponds.

Just curious, however, why you are adding a sand/gravel filter to the mix? You'll have to excuse my ignorance as I've not been at this hobby for very long, but unless I'm misunderstanding what this filter really is, I was under the impression using such a component in a system fell out of favor quite some time ago. Specifically because of high maintenance/frequent backwashing/clogging issues. Is the meant to be a final stage filter to 'polish' the water?

Quote Originally Posted by almostgeorgia View Post
    Hi Lam,

Well thought out and no doubt shows countless hours of consultation, design, and planning. I like to see KISS applied to every aspect of life, but especially when it comes to building koi ponds.

Just curious, however, why you are adding a sand/gravel filter to the mix? You'll have to excuse my ignorance as I've not been at this hobby for very long, but unless I'm misunderstanding what this filter really is, I was under the impression using such a component in a system fell out of favor quite some time ago. Specifically because of high maintenance/frequent backwashing/clogging issues. Is the meant to be a final stage filter to 'polish' the water?
    Thank you. I must admit that water polishing is the weakest part of my filtration system and one that I have been pondering about for a long time. The sand and gravel filters are indeed meant to be final stage filters for water polishing. I should have plenty of biological filtration from the two sets of feather rock showers, two 4' x 4' x 4' bays of Jmat cartridges and two 4' x 4' x 4' bays of fluidized K1 kaldnes/biochips for 10-12 gosanke.

For water polishing, I talked to a few hobbyists about possibly using 100 micron sieves in the Aqua Forte Ultrasieve III. But they said that the 100 micron sieves clog often and I would have to wash them out at least twice daily during periods of heavy feeding. I also thought about using a bead filter but the consensus is that it doesn't polish water as well as sand and gravel filters. Is this true?

What do most hobbyists use for water polishing?

BTW, I hope to have sketches posted soon..........just can't seem to find a chunk of time to just sit down and post them.
    Last edited by Lam Nguyen; 02-27-2013 at 08:40 PM.

MCA
    What do folks use to polish water?

Bead filter...or a sand filter. But a sand filter can clog in a heartbeat.

Lam, 100 micron sieves do not clog any faster than 300s. My DIY 100 micron sieve, built around a Cetus 100 micron screen, has run constantly for a year now with no clogging, and I feed 3-6 times a day in summer, and usually at least a small amount almost every day of the year. I have removed and cleaned the screen three times in that year, usually from algae filling in the gaps, but usually just brush it down in place once a week.

In my opinion, the best all around polishing filter is the sand and gravel filter. It is low cost, easy to assemble, polishes extremely well, and is a snap to clean. I don't think any other filter can claim all of the above.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast