Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a puzzling question?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    BINGO......but my guess is all those breeders have VERY involved wives who know as much if not more than they do, seems a lot of those pictures of visits posted have a Mrs Koi Breeder quietly in the back ground
    They definitely seemed to very involved in the 1st cull.

The Nishikigoi Breeders Guide published by the Japanese Shinkokai in November 2007 shows a scattering of female breeder photos. Mostly they appear to be wives and daughters of the breeder but there are also several independent female breeders/dealers listed.(based on photos) I have no doubt there are women intimately involved in hands on breeding, etc. of nishikigoi in Japan and I would imagine that their numbers will increase.

I beleive there might be an even newer version of the Breeders guide available now and it would be interesting to see if any additional female breeders are listed in 2013?
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Forget what I said about not liking to get dirty.............that is if Peter Waddington is to be believed. From koikichi.com

I agreed and climbed into the tiny flatback truck to be whisked away, at very high speeds, which he seemed to accept as the norm. Within five minutes or so I arrived, for the first time, at ‘Yamacho Koi farm’.
    In those days he was a struggling Koi farmer with great ambitions for the future and was ably assisted in all his daily duties by his ‘larger than life’ wife who has always produced a very genuine smile on her face. In later years I have seen her don chest waders to assist with the harvests and also carry out the dirtiest tasks possible before going indoors to prepare us all a wonderful supply of food and drinks – she later chastised me saying I was far too thin and needed fattening up!

Generally I find gender can be separated by those in the 'touchy, feel' and 'cute' category. These are dominated by women across most pets. Wet pets and slimey pets appeal less to women for this reason. What might well be a function of the farmer and family tradition in Japan is repeated in our downunder hobby. More males generally with more males responsible for the backyard breeding.

Daihonmei
    I had a first date last night with a lovely woman. We talked about many things but when the conversation came around to 'koi' I think I saw here actually double take to see if I was kidding or not! Koi as an expression of 'art'???? I think she was thinking she was being wined and dined by a weirdo! LOls My kingdom for a hot woman who likes fish! Best, Jim

MCA
    The Nishikigoi Breeders Guide published by the Japanese Shinkokai in November 2007 shows a scattering of female breeder photos. Mostly they appear to be wives and daughters of the breeder but there are also several independent female breeders/dealers listed.(based on photos) I have no doubt there are women intimately involved in hands on breeding, etc. of nishikigoi in Japan and I would imagine that their numbers will increase.
    In a movie I got last week from Mike Snaden about the harvests around Niigata in 2010, there was more than one well known breeder operation where the women of the family where down in the mud at ikeage. While the men were out pulling the nets in deeper water, the ladies were organizing the shoreline bagging and transport to the nearby trucks. At the episode at Torazo Ray Able was receiving fish at the trucks. I guess that may have been his last trip to Niigata.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12