Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a puzzling question?

Daihonmei

a puzzling question?

A puzzling question?

I went to a dog show for the briefest time while judging at the San Diego show. I’m hooked on dogs again after closing my Siberian Husky kennel some 25 years ago. Now I’m into the hounds! Not as a breeder but as a fan on the outside of the ring. Specifically any of the coursing breeds of hound- ridgebacks with rangy legs and deep chests being my favorite. Afghans as a second ‘great runner and mover’.
    But that is not the puzzle—here’s the puzzle; the majority of the breeders of dogs in my observations have been women. They out number the men breeders at least 3 to 1. Often this pattern is the same in cats, horses and other man made breed species.
    Yet in koi, 100% of the breeders seem to be men?! Now it may be that koi breeders are ‘farmers’ more than they are pet animal breeders. Or it may be that koi originate in Japan and Japan is a male dominated culture. Not sure. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    A puzzling question?

I went to a dog show for the briefest time while judging at the San Diego show. I’m hooked on dogs again after closing my Siberian Husky kennel some 25 years ago. Now I’m into the hounds! Not as a breeder but as a fan on the outside of the ring. Specifically any of the cursing breeds of hound- ridgebacks with rangy legs and deep chests being my favorite. Afghans as a second ‘great runner and mover’.
    But that is not the puzzle—here’s the puzzle; the majority of the breeders of dogs in my observations have been women. They out number the men breeders at least 3 to 1. Often this pattern is the same in cats, horses and other man made breed species. Yet in koi, 100% of the breeders seem to be men?! Now it may be that koi breeders are ‘farmers’ more than they are pet animal breeders. Or it may be that koi originate in Japan and Japan is a male dominated culture. Not sure. What do you think?
    1. Women are smarter than men.
    2. Women don't like getting dirty.

No comment. I decline to say anything when anything will offend somebody.

I love the terriers

I think for dog breeding, women naturally are nuturers of life. And yes cultures definetely have a lot to do with things.Here in the USA, lots of vets are ladies!

There are a few women judges of koi in japan, much more in the states,and ladies like Miwa Sakai of INC play a big role with her father in supporting that business.

My Wife loves her maine coon cats, and the breeder who kept taking first in all the area shows was also
    female.

Tategoi
    I dunno........but my bad taste pun keeps gettin censored.....

I can see that. With koi, a certain amount of heartlessness is required, or at least many woul;d perceive it as a kind of heartlessness, with the larger interest being in the future production and not the individual. Perhaps this is more of a male propensity, as females do tend toward a more nurturing personality.

I also think that maybe it just hasn't happened yet, originating from the male dominated Japanese culture. Perhaps females will try it and decide they like it. Then, it will probably be like other animals, and the men will be pushed out over time.

Thank you for getting me depressed today. Ho hum.
    Will Schultze
    (931) 338-6174

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisatpeace View Post
    I can see that. With koi, a certain amount of heartlessness is required, or at least many woul;d perceive it as a kind of heartlessness, with the larger interest being in the future production and not the individual. Perhaps this is more of a male propensity, as females do tend toward a more nurturing personality.

I also think that maybe it just hasn't happened yet, originating from the male dominated Japanese culture. Perhaps females will try it and decide they like it. Then, it will probably be like other animals, and the men will be pushed out over time.

Thank you for getting me depressed today. Ho hum.

Don't kid yourself! a rhodesian ridegeback without a ridge or one with a throw back coloring is 'culled' just like the tosai koi! And a 'coffin headed' siamese will be euthanized by a lady cat breeder post haste! So I don't think that is answer? JR

I've no clue either. However, I also managed to sneak over several times during the show. I watched the agility dogs run (my wife runs our Aussies as well, so have seen lots of this before). But this was my first time ever to see show dogs in the ring. I watched with some fascination as they judged Bichon Frise, Great Danes, and Great Pyrenees. Really impressed by the amount of "fussing over" these dogs received just before and during the judging!

This guy is Elvis, and I instantly fell in love with him!

Great Pyrenees by Mystic Koi, on Flickr

Don't kid yourself! a rhodesian ridegeback without a ridge or one with a throw back coloring is 'culled' just like the tosai koi! And a 'coffin headed' siamese will be euthanized by a lady cat breeder post haste! So I don't think that is answer? JR
    Maybe it's that fish are not even a little cuddly?

Meg
    Or it may be that koi originate in Japan and Japan is a male dominated culture. Not sure. What do you think?
    BINGO......but my guess is all those breeders have VERY involved wives who know as much if not more than they do, seems a lot of those pictures of visits posted have a Mrs Koi Breeder quietly in the back ground

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast