Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: CFKS top winners

MCA

CFKS top winners

Much congrats to all the winners at CFKS!!!

CFKS 2013 - Koi Chat - KoiShack

It was another great show, and now it is done and I am still aching. The photos on Koi Shack give the top winners, but that does not tell the story of the show. If I were writing an article about the show, I do not know which of several themes I'd select. There were many running through the competition. One was the rise of domestic-bred koi. Among the early arrivals was a fantastic Kohaku bred by Purdin Koi Farm and shown by Dan Charnes & Gene Smith. She was an early favorite among the gawkers to take GC. No koi in the competition surpassed the crisp clarity of her pigment and lustrous skin. In the end, however, I understand that a head configuration issue held her back. The top ranked gosanke were imports, so the day for an American-bred koi to take the honors remains in the future. (The two top contenders for the Jumbo award, however, were both bred by Nisei Koi Farm... one over a meter and the other just under 95cm. So, any categorical notion of domestics not having jumbo genetics should be put out of mind.)

JR's thread about looking for a gold ring in the Cracker Jacks box makes me think that the theme should be... 'Yes, there may be a gold ring in the Cracker Jacks box.' The Grand Champion was a wonderful Kohaku raised by Grant and Penny Patton from tosai. It was not just any tosai, but a quite special one that they obtained with the assistance of Ray Abell some years ago. She provides no reason to hope for a GC in the '5 tosai for $100' sale vats. But, she represents an accomplishment in husbandry seldom realized, truly a tribute to the koikeeping skills of the Pattons. Closer to the 'mythical gold ring' was the Grand Champion B, a Shusui purchased by Darrell Creekmur as a small thing a few years ago, also from Ray Abell, out of a 'not expensive' sales vat at CFKS. Unlike the Pattons, whose grand pond has been the subject of multiple video tours and is well-known among U.S. hobbyists, Darrell is a local regular guy with a DIY 5,000 gallon pond system. He pays close attention to his koi and does not leave any little thing ignored. A lot of folks would not have been able to bring along that Shusui to such size and proportions in much more elaborate systems. Darrell did by sticking to basics and being diligent. So, the Grand Champion B was also a trophy won by husbandry.

...There may not be gold rings in Cracker Jacks boxes, but we can learn that care and attention brings out the best, and truly, even a tosai can be raised by a mere hobbyist to claim the gold ring. These are the sort of 'ringers' in which pride is earned.

...There may not be gold rings in Cracker Jacks boxes, but we can learn that care and attention brings out the best, and truly, even a tosai can be raised by a mere hobbyist to claim the gold ring. These are the sort of 'ringers' in which pride is earned.[/QUOTE]

US breeders have to be congratulated a great show thanks to all that worked so hard.
    Regards
    Eugene

Here are some of the people that made it all happen , the number of tanks gives one an idea of the work involved.
    Regards
    Eugene
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CFKS top winners-orl1.jpg   CFKS top winners-orl2.jpg   CFKS top winners-orl3.jpg   CFKS top winners-orl4.jpg  

Video is 10-30 seconds of each tank...

Excellent video clips. It took longer to walk around the show and the video had less glare!

What

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It was another great show, and now it is done and I am still aching. The photos on Koi Shack give the top winners, but that does not tell the story of the show. If I were writing an article about the show, I do not know which of several themes I'd select. There were many running through the competition. One was the rise of domestic-bred koi. Among the early arrivals was a fantastic Kohaku bred by Purdin Koi Farm and shown by Dan Charnes & Gene Smith. She was an early favorite among the gawkers to take GC. No koi in the competition surpassed the crisp clarity of her pigment and lustrous skin. In the end, however, I understand that a head configuration issue held her back. The top ranked gosanke were imports, so the day for an American-bred koi to take the honors remains in the future. (The two top contenders for the Jumbo award, however, were both bred by Nisei Koi Farm... one over a meter and the other just under 95cm. So, any categorical notion of domestics not having jumbo genetics should be put out of mind.)
    Mike what do you mean with head configuration issue ? Was her head deformed ?

Quote Originally Posted by APOLONASGR36 View Post
    Mike what do you mean with head configuration issue ? Was her head deformed ?
    I would not use the term 'deformed'. I think that would be misleading.

The head was very broad from the back to the eyes, giving a sense of a flat space between the eyes. This width would generally be seen as a positive. The head then tapered rather abruptly to the mouth. Some might say the portion of the head in front of the eyes was disproportionately short. Others might say the tapering toward the mouth was too sharp an angle. Still others might say the width between the eyes was too broad in relation to the the length of the head overall.

However one chooses to describe it, I think few would disagree that there was a less than ideal head/face structure. The question then becomes how to balance that factor with all of the other attributes of the koi as a whole. That is where disagreement can arise.

In the case of the Purdin-bred Kohaku, the judges reached a conclusion that day. It was based on a balancing of attributes. Perhaps others would strike a different balance. Perhaps not.

There are no perfect koi. So, there is always a balancing of attributes. The more I observe judging, the more I realize that the various criteria written up in articles and discussed ad nauseum on the boards are first steps. The challenge is in the weighing of multiple factors. There is a substantial risk that individual preferences will lead to a conclusion, rather than the conclusion being driven by standards. The standards in these balancing situations are not capable of being written down in some scientific-seeming formula. Each fish is different. Each attribute exists along a continuum and cannot be assigned a particular weight applicable to all instances. The standards involved in this balancing develop as a consensus view over time based on long experience of observation. And, over time the standard may evolve. So, for example, one may consider a particular fin shape to be a rather serious flaw and always mark down a koi with that fin shape quite substantially... until the day when confronted with a koi that possesses such rare and extraordinary beni quality that the awkward fin shape no longer seems so strong a negative in viewing the koi as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I would not use the term 'deformed'. I think that would be misleading.

The head was very broad from the back to the eyes, giving a sense of a flat space between the eyes. This width would generally be seen as a positive. The head then tapered rather abruptly to the mouth. Some might say the portion of the head in front of the eyes was disproportionately short. Others might say the tapering toward the mouth was too sharp an angle. Still others might say the width between the eyes was too broad in relation to the the length of the head overall.

However one chooses to describe it, I think few would disagree that there was a less than ideal head/face structure. The question then becomes how to balance that factor with all of the other attributes of the koi as a whole. That is where disagreement can arise.

In the case of the Purdin-bred Kohaku, the judges reached a conclusion that day. It was based on a balancing of attributes. Perhaps others would strike a different balance. Perhaps not.

There are no perfect koi. So, there is always a balancing of attributes. The more I observe judging, the more I realize that the various criteria written up in articles and discussed ad nauseum on the boards are first steps. The challenge is in the weighing of multiple factors. There is a substantial risk that individual preferences will lead to a conclusion, rather than the conclusion being driven by standards. The standards in these balancing situations are not capable of being written down in some scientific-seeming formula. Each fish is different. Each attribute exists along a continuum and cannot be assigned a particular weight applicable to all instances. The standards involved in this balancing develop as a consensus view over time based on long experience of observation. And, over time the standard may evolve. So, for example, one may consider a particular fin shape to be a rather serious flaw and always mark down a koi with that fin shape quite substantially... until the day when confronted with a koi that possesses such rare and extraordinary beni quality that the awkward fin shape no longer seems so strong a negative in viewing the koi as a whole.
    Thanks for the clarification and explanation Mike.