Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water Changes Redux or, 'Now I'm Really Confused'

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I fully agree with JR's point that 10% water changes multiple times per week is better than one big water change. However, it is not practical for me to follow this practice. Dumping settlement gives a very small percentage daily water change on my pond. I have to rely on performing one major water change per week, which is in the 35% range. In doing this, it is important to be aware of water parameters so that overall stability is maintained. Having worked with the pond for nearly 8 years, I no longer test constantly. I can tell if something seems off (or think I can ?? ). I do test for hardness and pH if things look 'not quite normal', and adjust water changes accordingly. At the height of the Spring leaf & pollen attack (which Floridians with Live Oaks understand come together, and not in separate seasons), I have done 25% water changes on Saturday and Sunday in order to avoid too much shifting in basic parameters. I'd prefer to be doing 10% per day by continuous in-flow, similar to what Dick Benbow does with his pond.

no question that personal situations and 'special events' ( dumping in too much salt is another one) . pretty much a trade off. One other practical issue of a huge water change besides general disruption and dramatic change of water parameters is that most pond designs require the system to be shut off for extended periods of time while the water is filling. This is usually due to a design depending on gravity flow and the pipes are exposed to air while the water level is low. In this case the hobbyist has to decide if keeping a pond in the non circulation mode for as much as several hours is worth the idea that they are dramatically improving water quality. The koi won't die of course, but the stress levels might rise under the right/wrong circumstances. JR

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I fully agree with JR's point that 10% water changes multiple times per week is better than one big water change. However, it is not practical for me to follow this practice. Dumping settlement gives a very small percentage daily water change on my pond. I have to rely on performing one major water change per week, which is in the 35% range. In doing this, it is important to be aware of water parameters so that overall stability is maintained. Having worked with the pond for nearly 8 years, I no longer test constantly. I can tell if something seems off (or think I can ?? ). I do test for hardness and pH if things look 'not quite normal', and adjust water changes accordingly. At the height of the Spring leaf & pollen attack (which Floridians with Live Oaks understand come together, and not in separate seasons), I have done 25% water changes on Saturday and Sunday in order to avoid too much shifting in basic parameters. I'd prefer to be doing 10% per day by continuous in-flow, similar to what Dick Benbow does with his pond.
    I do the same except during a cold spell where I have a steady flow of water to raise my water temperature.
    The big reason for water changes is to keep nitrate levels under control and to refresh the water. I remember reading in Rinko where a small farm raising koi for a little extra money and having water shortages had a little cannal by the side of his pond in which he grew bare root tomatoes by circulating water. Grasses and bullrushes will grow bare root and achive the same. Where there are water shortages or money to pay for water it might be a good idea to consider that.
    Regards
    Eugene

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12