Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By powerman

Thread: Connected Quarantine - will it work?

Tosai

Connected Quarantine - will it work?

I don't know if this question has been asked before? If yes, I apologize.

In trying to set up a quarantine tank, I'm troubled by having the need to setup a separate filtration system. If not done right, the koi being quarantined often suffer from poor water quality.

Can I setup a quarantine tank next to my main pond and use diverted water from either my BD or skimmer circuit? In other words, the quarantined koi share the same water and filtration but not physically in contact with my herd of fish. Would this prevent KHV? What about other diseases (parasites, bacteria infections...etc)?

Thanks,

Robert, unfortunately, this will not work. The point of the QT is to keep everything separate, water, filtration, nets, test kits, etc.

I will not use the same equipment at all between tanks, the possibility for cross contamination is far too great. In fact, I would be pretty against having a QT located very near to my pond, because, as they say, shit happens. Ideally a QT would be covered to keep out birds and make temperature both more constant and more easily controllable.

Where are you wanting to set up a QT? I know you have limited space to use, be happy to talk with you about cheap and easy DIY options that won't take up much room.
    Will Schultze
    (931) 338-6174

no not if you are serious about using the qt as a qt

your quarantine system should not be next to the main pond... it should be far enough away that there is no chance of water contamination between the two.... splashing etc....

and should not share the same filtration and or water, the exception being that if you used water from your main system to flow through your qt but not return to the main pond this would serve to qt your new fish but expose them to your main ponds water parameters.. you would still need a separate circulating filtration system for your qt and only use the pond water as a trickle to equalize your qt parameters with your main pond parameters if your main pond has really good water quality... you would be exposing your new fish to anything that your main fish would have before mixing them together but the down side is that it would take out the certainty of where the problem came from if one should occur... so ideally you would first qt the fish without exposure to your existing fish and pond system...and heat cycle, test for khv if that is your protocol, and treat for parasites as needed and if all is well,then add a canary from your collection to continue the quarantine into the final stage.. at that point you could use water from your main pond to add to the qt by trickle or water changes to help equalize parameters before transferring the koi

you should not mix nets or bowls either... and you shouldn't tend to the qt and then directly to the main pond until the new fish have passed their quarantine period...

so you would want to do your filter maintenance first on your main pond and then on your qt and then not return to the main pond until you have showered and changed clothes... and also avoid cross contamination by guests, visitors etc...

This is in a perfect world, I suspect that many of us (myself included) exist somewhere in imperfection between ideals...
    ricshaw likes this.

the biggest failure I have seen with QT set ups, is that water quality is not the first priority, and they tend to be smallish. But as fish grow in our pond and come down with injuries, they need something to be able to live and feel comfortable in as they recoup.

As previously stated, water must be contained separately from their eventual homeland (main pond). To keep a qt pond going it must have inhabitants to feed filters, provide companionship to the new arrivals,
    and act as a canary in the coalmine for health assurances.

I remember one pond where the qt was so close to the main pond, and the owner ( bless his heart) had gone overboard with his degassing (xtra air you know)...you could see the mist traveling across the main pond when the wind was right. (ouch!)

think of the QT as extra insurance should the main pond come down with a leak or other catastrophy, where you'd need to be able to move a quantity of koi into a nearby facility immediately that could accomodate the herd. So do it right, build it big enough and be contamination mindful, no mixing of nets water,etc.
    Dick Benbow

Tosai
    Thanks for the replies, I thought some koi diseases maybe like HIV, only transmitted via sexual contact, blood transfusion...etc.

Will, I was thinking about using the upper fountain pool (~300 gals) as qt, which receives water from skimmer line before overflowing into the main pond. I do have 6ft show tank w/ a small filter but it's a pita to setup and maintain.

Have you considered a more permanent setup, perhaps an 8' show tank with S&G filter would be small yet big enough to help a lot. You can set up an 8' tank w/S&G filter in less than 10'X 10' area, and could get by with a cheaper short handled net.

Quote Originally Posted by whodatkoi View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I thought some koi diseases maybe like HIV, only transmitted via sexual contact, blood transfusion...etc.

Will, I was thinking about using the upper fountain pool (~300 gals) as qt, which receives water from skimmer line before overflowing into the main pond. I do have 6ft show tank w/ a small filter but it's a pita to setup and maintain.

The research from Israel shows that KHV is transferred via fecal matter.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by mtsklar View Post
    The research from Israel shows that KHV is transferred via fecal matter.
    Really? it's good to know. Thanks,

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisatpeace View Post
    Have you considered a more permanent setup, perhaps an 8' show tank with S&G filter would be small yet big enough to help a lot. You can set up an 8' tank w/S&G filter in less than 10'X 10' area, and could get by with a cheaper short handled net.
    Yeah, I'll think about that. I have an area next to shower that is just a little too small for an 8' tank. So I went with a 6' DreamPond tank, a mistake as it has very flimsy plastic frame.