Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visit with Matt and new addition

Visit with Matt and new addition

On the way down to Orlando had a visit with Matt. We had our lunch in the new sales and meeting room. A very pleasant temperature in ultra state of the art building.
    Here are some photos:
    Regards
    Eugene
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Visit with Matt and new addition-5.jpg   Visit with Matt and new addition-1.jpg   Visit with Matt and new addition-2.jpg   Visit with Matt and new addition-3.jpg   Visit with Matt and new addition-4.jpg  

Mat looks well. great looking facilities. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    On the way down to Orlando had a visit with Matt. We had our lunch in the new sales and meeting room. A very pleasant temperature in ultra state of the art building.
    Here are some photos:
    Regards
    Eugene
    Where is Matt's facilities?

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Where is Matt's facilities?
    New Jersey Quality Koi Company Nisei Koi Farm USA
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Wow, very impressive facility.

Nisai Koi Farm is progressing nicely. Matt is on the verge of something big........literally. A 37" plus Sanke owned by MikeM and a 42" Chagoi owned by Henry C. are only the beginning. Kudos Matt.

This is the area that was used for the 2012 AKJA Judges Seminar. The sides of the greenhouse raise with the turn of a switch. Very Nice !

There are multiple greenhouse facilities on the farm, as well a couple dozen mudponds. Some of the greenhouse ponds have been out of commission, but work is occurring to rectify that. The facilities have been geared to production needs, and not sales.. i.e., not for comfortable viewing by hobbyists. It was difficult for a visitor to observe koi available for sale without a lot of time being expended by staff. The new display greenhouse allows a visitor to comfortably observe a wide selection of what is available for sale... from tosai through some sansai. Someone interested in acquiring a large 'special' koi (which means, rather costly) may still need to get a guided visit to a 'working pond' in a different greenhouse. Mat always has a few 'tucked away'. (I'm never sure if he really wants to sell them, or keep for his own enjoyment. )

With the display greenhouse, NKF is able to put on teaching events, host club events and the like without worry about the weather. And, those interested in making a purchase can do so whenever the farm is open (see hours on website). If interested in getting a real 'tour' of the farm, it is best to attend one of these events, rather than dropping in while the work of the farm is going on. The events are on the Quality Koi website and Facebook.

And, of course, no time is better than during the Fall harvests.

I really do not understand why any serious koikeeper within driving distance does not make a point of visiting the farm. There is so much to learn about the creation of koi just by observing. Of course, fear of temptation may be a very good reason.

I say the same for those within driving distance of Purdin Koi Farm. Anyone who saw the Purdin-produced koi entered at CFKS knows there are great things occurring there. And, nobody can do better at matching a koi with a person's interests than the McGurks.

There are other farms around the country for those too distant from Louisiana and New Jersey. I always talk about NKF and Purdin because I see what they have accomplished regularly, and am confident even the most 'picky' hobbyist will see something that makes a day's outing worthwhile. I do not have the experience to vouch for others, but if I was near one I'd sure pay a visit to see what's happening, assuming visitors were allowed... which should always be checked on beforehand. These are farms, not retail stores.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I really do not understand why any serious koikeeper within driving distance does not make a point of visiting the farm. There is so much to learn about the creation of koi just by observing. Of course, fear of temptation may be a very good reason.
    I have found that "driving distance" means something different to different people. For some people 30 minutes is the maximum driving distance they will travel. For others 3 hours is not uncommon.

I've been to both places, but had to fly I have a high regard for the people at both places and the effort they put forth to create wonderfully made american koi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast