Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Any opinion on these white spots on my Kujaku and how to treat?

Unhappy Any opinion on these white spots on my Kujaku and how to treat?

I have noticed some white spots on my Kujaku. I also have noticed some white areas on the beni on the head of my Kohaku. I don't think they are related, but I am not sure. I have seen the white on the head of both my Kohakus from time to time, and they seem to come and go away over time. I am much more worried about the spots on my Kujaku, I don't think I have seen like this before.

I decided to try and take an underwater video, it actually came out OK, I think you can see the fish and the areas I am talking about.

Koi pond first underwater video - YouTube

If anyone has any ideas on what this might be, and how to treat, I would appreciate.

I checked the ammonium, nitrate, and nitrate and nothing was detected. My pH was a bit on the low side between 6.5 and 7, but closer to 7. My salinity is 372 ppm and my conductivity is 771 uS. I have been heating the pond in the temperature of about 53 C, and have been feeding extremely sparingly some wheat germ food.

After seeing these spots, I decided to raise the temperature, I want to get it above 55 C now, not sure it that will help, but I think can't hurt.
    Rockman

I watched your video. There are two different things going on there. The fish has cold water ich and a fungus. The cold water ich is the small white spots. The fungus is the cloudy white mass. If you catch the koi both can be wiped off. I would swab the area with a little iodine. Don't let any of the stuff you wipe off get back into the pond.

The kohaku has a excessive mucus from the cold water. I can't tell for sure on the kujaku but It does not look bad. Any other symptoms?

Leave them be, raising the water temp would not hurt.

Btw you have good looking koi.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    The kohaku has a excessive mucus from the cold water. I can't tell for sure on the kujaku but It does not look bad. Any other symptoms?

Leave them be, raising the water temp would not hurt.

Btw you have good looking koi.
    Thanks for your thoughts. And yes, I have seen the whiteish area on the kohaku beni usually goes away as water warms, so I think you are right.

And thanks for your comments on my koi. It was cute that they tried to suck food out of my camera.