Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pond Shade Structures

Mike, what size was the old pergola/shade structure ?? I recently replace the flat roof on my swing after 15years with the attached roof. A variation on the structure may be feasible with shade cloth??

Darrell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond Shade Structures-029-480x640-.jpg  

Just have your local metal fab shop make a dome structure something like this and powder coat it any color you like. You can put shade cloth on it in summer and plastic in winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond Shade Structures-greenhouse-ceiling.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    Just have your local metal fab shop make a dome structure something like this and powder coat it any color you like. You can put shade cloth on it in summer and plastic in winter.
    Not that much money to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by creekds View Post
    Mike, what size was the old pergola/shade structure ?? I recently replace the flat roof on my swing after 15years with the attached roof. A variation on the structure may be feasible with shade cloth??

Darrell
    It was 20-feet wide and 26 feet long... maybe an inch or two longer. It was 10-feet tall on one side and about 7-feet on the other, so there was a slope to encourage leaves to land in the garden and not the pond.

Looks good, Darrell ! ...You should try that for the treehouse and see what the HOA has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It was 20-feet wide and 26 feet long... maybe an inch or two longer. It was 10-feet tall on one side and about 7-feet on the other, so there was a slope to encourage leaves to land in the garden and not the pond.

Looks good, Darrell ! ...You should try that for the treehouse and see what the HOA has to say.
    20' wide is a long spance to carry a load. And the lumber would cost a fortune, unless you married boards together.

The HOA and I are not on speaking terms. I thought about changing the roofline on my nursery, but the squealing neighbor would see it... As for the treehouse it is now a glorified Pergola (no stairs or railing).

[QUOTE=creekds;205601]20' wide is a long spance to carry a load. And the lumber would cost a fortune, unless you married boards together. /QUOTE]

Yep. But, joining boards creates a weakness. 20' western cedar has to be special ordered, too. Spacing about a foot apart would be ideal for avoiding sway in the shadecloth cover, but far too expensive. Compromises, compromises. These sorts of issues are delaying the job bid. Hope to have it by the end of this week.... May need the weekend to recover from the sticker shock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12