Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Momotaro Auction 11 April

Momotaro Auction 11 April

I see that Momotaro is having another Auction, 11 April: http://www.momotaro-koi.org/english/

Mako Showa #6 appeals to my naïve eye.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I see that Momotaro is having another Auction, 11 April: http://www.momotaro-koi.org/english/

Mako Showa #6 appeals to my naïve eye.
    Thanks for posting I am still looking at them the video is so darn slow comeing up on my computer
    Regards
    Eugene

Tancho #1 has such a near perfect maruten that it scares me. Can such a maruten be natural?... I think I'd have to see in person.

I have not had time to study the videos the way I usually do. I've only checked out a few. All the fish I've looked at are rather lethargic. Some of the nisai seemed unusually good until I noticed an odd pectoral fin, imbalance in the body and the like.

Mike, your eye is far keener than mine. That tancho’s spot is perfect. Since tancho is not heritable does it matter if the spot has been touched up (not to say that ithas since I probably couldn’t tell in person let alone with a photo)? The only way to improve on perfection is to go into imperfection (like adding sanke spots).

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Mike, your eye is far keener than mine. That tancho’s spot is perfect. Since tancho is not heritable does it matter if the spot has been touched up (not to say that ithas since I probably couldn’t tell in person let alone with a photo)? The only way to improve on perfection is to go into imperfection (like adding sanke spots).
    With a sanke spot since there are no scales that can be sraped off is nearly impossible to correct. Neither would it pay to bother even trying besides that I question the stability of tancho spots as a perfect tancho sanke which I got from Toshio suddenly dissapeared after 7years.
    I did see some unwanted sumi being scraped off the tail section but this was on a clients fish that had a $ 100,000 value. It was done only for a high end client at their insistance and risk.
    The procedure took a long time and it was done with a surgical scalpel. Was told that it is never done on fish for sale as the sumi could come back, danger of infection as well as time consuming as well as space after surgery.
    Regards
    Eugene

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Certainly seems more than 24 inches with that body, doesn't she?

Question: What is/are the shortcomings that result in her being auctioned at this time? ...There are always shortcomings. Find them and then you can decide if they are material to your goal.

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

Question: What is/are the shortcomings that result in her being auctioned at this time? ...There are always shortcomings. Find them and then you can decide if they are material to your goal.
    the leading edge of the large step at her right shoulder is questionable, you can see it best on the video.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

The operation at Momotaro is very big and costly relying on the auctions for nearly all their sales. If fish were chosen with shortcomings it would jepordise their future auctions. It will be interesting to find out what
    this fish will bring.
    Regards
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    the leading edge of the large step at her right shoulder is questionable, you can see it best on the video.
    What I noticed in the still photo is that the body tapers toward the tail unevenly on her left compared to her right. On her right side, the body line is a smooth curve. On her left side, the body curves inward before continuing toward the tail. Still photos can be misleading in this respect, so it is best to study the video. Here, the video shows the same lack of symmetry. However, since she is filmed as she moves along the curve of the tank, it takes a while to conclude whether it is caused by the body curving or exists apart from that. When a koi that bulks up like this, uneven body lines can be noticed that would not be notable on a thinner fish. Is it a temporary phase? Is it just an illusion from the photography? It is something to check in person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast