Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What food do you use and why?

What food do you use and why?

The food comparison thread got me thinking- why do I use the food Im using??? I use Kenzen exclusively. Truth be known its all Ive ever used so I dont really have anything to judge against. I guess Im getting good results but I dont know. From the other thread it sounds like it takes a decade to determine what the food will do long term. So really I am simply going on what others say about the products.

I use Kenzen Primary Diet of various sized sinking and floating. I monitor my feeding and spend a lot of time getting to know each koi so I feel I have a handle on amount. Why did I choose Kenzen? I guess because Matt S and Will S have provided me with enough data to convince me that I should use Kenzen. From there Ive had good results so I just keep using it.

I have not tried Kenzen color food yet. In summer heat I add some spirulina powder to my food and also I use spiro in prep for show.

What food do you use and why?

What is ricshaw feeding his Koi now days? (2013)

First, let me state that I do not spend thousands of dollars on Koi and do not show Koi anymore.

My primary foods this year is;

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein Min 40.0%
    Crude Fat Min 10.0%
    Crude Fiber Max 4.0%

Ingredients:
    Fish meal, plant protein products, animal protein products, dried yeast culture, fish oil, dried seaweed meal, wheat flour, spinach, brewer's yeast, protease (derived from Bacillus subtillus), garlic, beet powder, asparagus, anise, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D supplement, riboflavin supplement, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, choline chloride, d-biotin, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin E supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous sulfate, potassium iodate, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, and ascorbic acid (source of Vitamin C).

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein Min 40.0%
    Crude Fat Min 10.0%
    Crude Fiber Max 4.0%

Ingredients:
    Fish Meal, Plant Proteins, Animal Protein Products, Dried Yeast Culture, Fish Oil, Dried Seaweed Meal, Wheat Flour, Spinach, Brewer's Yeast, Protease (derived from Bacillus subtilus), Garlic, Beet Powder, Asparagus, Anise, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, D-Biotine, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodate, Ethylenediamine Dihydrodide and Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C).

The above is not a mistake. Both are made by Aquatic Nutrition Inc. located in Florida. Koi food #2 is cheaper than #1. Koi food #1 cost me about 24% more than #2.

Why? I have heard positive reviews from other Koi hobbyists. They seems to be good foods for a good value. I wanted to give them a try. The vender offered free shipping. I use about 120 pounds of Koi food a year.

I've used all 3 that are being evaluated by Mat and plenty of others. My favorite was EA Show but they dont make it anymore. Pellets are just part the diet for my koi. I feed them plenty of other stuff as well.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Whenever I see fishmeal as the lead ingredient, it bugs me that it literally means catch of the day. otherwise it would say something specific like whitefish meal. I really like to know if the main protein component is something consistent instead of sole one time and hake the next.

I do agree with Jim about having favored the marine worms from the UK. Was sorry to see that go by the wayside. What I liked about it was the main ingredient for protein was not fish. (like everybody else)

So much of the "food thing" is when and how much. I don't see that topic exhausted like ingredients.
    It has as much to do with results in the big picture.

I mentioned in Mike's initial thread on food that I thought for results, there is a difference in my experience
    when sinking food is used over floating. I never do get any response on that either.

Just for the record, I like Kenzen because of the less waste and better skin after two years of use following my own food comparisons. I get good growth and am looking forward to testing a new formula
    to increase the bulk rate.
    Dick Benbow

Any fish in the sea can be used to make fishmeal. Fishmeal is usually not a by-product (trimmings) of seafood products destined for human consumption. The fish used for fishmeal generally are wild-caught, small marine fish deemed not suitable for human consumption.

Sounds simular to the meat in the hotdog I ate for lunch today at COSTCO.

I guess I should have mentioned in my Koi food post that I use "floating" Koi food, and the "amount" varies due to water temperature and time of year, and I do not use "color" food or change food because of "seasons".
    Last edited by ricshaw; 04-03-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added info

My main sinking food is now Kenzen. I also use some sinking Tomigai spirulina. I prefer not to rely on one food, so I use more than one. I use Kenzen sinking as the main food because the fish have bulked up on it, color sharpness improved, water clarity remained good (low fines) and waste capture in my filtration systems has been good (as long as lines are flushed diligently). I use the Tomigai spirulina as a 'treat' for variety because the koi really like it, and fines are very low (much lower in my experience than Tomigai wheatgerm) and effect on color pigment does not seem notable. ...I do not use it enough to evaluate/compare in other respects.

For floating, which I use only occasionally, I am currently using Hikari staple, Hikari Growth and Tomigai wheatgerm in a mix, with Hikari staple as the main pellet in the mix. This will shift to Hikari growth as the main pellet in the mix as temperatures are dependably in the 72-78F range. Why?... because I like to feed a variety and the koi really like these foods. Since I feed floating only when I'm sitting by the pond for nearly an hour in the evening (or Sunday morning at dawn) and can go back after 30 minutes or so to get pellets out of the skimmers to squash and re-feed as sinking, floating is not much used. ...The koi seem to know that the squashed pellets will come eventually. A couple don't come up for them when floating, but wait near the spot where they get squashed. My Chagoi has not eaten from the surface in at least 3 months, and she is a glutton.

Wonderful answers folks! Thank you!

MCA
    Saki Hikari wheat germ during our short fall and early spring. No food January-March. Blackwater Gold-N during most of the year.
    ricshaw likes this.

This may be a surprise to some people who are not active in Koi clubs, but I think some Koi hobbyists buy a certain brand of Koi food because it is readily available to them.
    In the past the ZNA SoCal chapter had a member who would sell Koi food to members at cost as a service to club members. It seemed like he never had a problem selling out.
    More recently the V.C.K.S. had a Koi food sales rep who would bring food for sale to club meetings a couple times a year. When the sales rep lost her job, some of the club members were trying to find an alternate solution.
    How many Koi hobbyist buy a certain brand of Koi food because it is available locally at a store?

Edit: I would also guess that a lot of Koi club members choose Koi food that:

Fish meal is the first listed ingredient.
    The price is considered a value.
    The food is fresh.
    The food does not cloud the pond water.

I try to feed my koi a variety of at least 4-5 different types and sizes of pellets. It can't be fun to eat the same food day in and day out. So I have a base food which will be either Hikari Friend or Showgun (very good local food) and then I'll add Saki Hikari growth, Saki hikari colour enhancer, Silk worm select and some saki hikari multi-season. I'll also throw in two cups of Hi Silk a day in the growing season. Most of my koi are mature and over 75cm so I feed around 1% of their body weight per day. My pond is not very big at 35 000l but I've manged to grow some nice fish fast. My record is a karashigoi which I grew from 58cm to 84cm in the last 24 months.

What food do you use and why?-img_6380.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast