Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever use dimilin-x?

Hi Joe,

You may already know this but 10% baytril is a large animal concentration. For fish we would normally want to utilize a 2.25% concentration. Be aware if you use the 10% concentration on koi you will need to adjust the cc amount often quoted in most koi health books that are based on the lower concentration baytril. It will not be easy to reduce the amount enough for fish under 12 inches. You will need the smallest possible syringes with smaller than 0.1 cc increments for smaller koi. Also such a concentrated dose will likely cause a lot of irritation at the sight of injection and I would definitely avoid IP injection with this concentrated dose.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

MCA
    I also get 10% Baytril as it is less expense per dose. As Ray points out, there are several different strengths of Baytril. The attachment is a set of tables I prepared years ago showing different dosing levels (mg per kg of weight) using the different strengths (2.27%, 5%, 10%). You need to know the strength of Baytril, the desired dosing level, and the estimated weight of the koi to be treated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever use dimilin-x?-baytril-koi.pdf  

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    I also get 10% Baytril as it is less expense per dose. As Ray points out, there are several different strengths of Baytril. The attachment is a set of tables I prepared years ago showing different dosing levels (mg per kg of weight) using the different strengths (2.27%, 5%, 10%). You need to know the strength of Baytril, the desired dosing level, and the estimated weight of the koi to be treated.
    Fantastic chart, MCA. You performed a real service for hobbyists. This should be an easily available reference source for all.

I used to keep a full stock of remedies on hand. I found that I was throwing out a bunch of stuff that got to be too old to have confidence in it. I now keep just two in stock: ProForm C and Prazi. The shelf life of ProForm C is unclear. I've not been able to get a definite answer, but I figure two years to be safe. Prazi (dry powder) has a multi-year shelf life. As to other remedies, I figure anything that comes up that ProForm C and Prazi do not treat can wait a couple of days for an order to arrive. Overnight shipping does not seem so expensive when you've tossed out costly stuff that got too old. There is some Dimilin left from two years ago (powder has a very long shelf life), some FlukeM (flubendazole from UK, not distributed in U.S.... not approved for import) and some leftover miscellaneous stuff that gradually times out and will not be replaced unless a need arises.

BTW, I really wish flubendazole was readily available in the U.S. Since using it a couple of years ago, I have not had an outbreak of flukes. It supposedly kills eggs, and the absence of the annual outbreak that plagued my fish 'forever' makes me think it just might. Not cheap, but proved to be very effective, more effective than any other fluke treatment I've ever tried.

Most of the fish health books on injectable antibiotics recommend too high a dosage at too frequent intervals.This is because very few studies have been done in fish with newer broad spectum antibiotics. injectable antibiotic reccomended dosage is taken from studies in mammals or birds which are warm blooded animals. It is very very easy to overdose fish especially in cooler water with injectable antibiotics. This can result in kidney failure and many other issues. Water/body temperature is a critical component of determining dosage intervals in fish. Antibiotics such as Baytril are metabolized by the liver and then excreted by the kidneys. So treatment with Baytril in cooler water temperatures of fish with kidney or liver issues is very problematic to accomplish sucessfully. Injectable antibiotic treatment should be handled by fish friendly veterinarians or advanced specially trained hobbyists IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12