Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ki-Goi Genetics

Tosai

Ki-Goi Genetics

Hi, I read an article some time ago and maybe I have got it wrong. The Ki-Goi (yellow with red eyes) My understanding of this Koi was that it is Albino and that it does NOT have the gene which gives it the Sumi. Is this correct or is it that the Sumi Gene is suppressed. Would you please be able to give me the correct answer. Many Thanks.

I do not know the answer. I also don't know if it matters???

If Akame Kigoi is bred to any variety that is not also albino, sumi is highly likely to appear in the offspring. I do not know if breeding two Akame Kigoi results in a lethal gene problem. With the many albino fish in the aquarium trade, albino is crossed with albino to produce all albino offspring. But, often a normal appearing parent fish is used that carries the albino gene. This is done to reduce in-breeding, avoid deformities, etc.

You do have me wondering why we do not see a lot of Akame Kigoi, as we do with so many albino aquarium fish. They generally bring a higher price and are very popular. So, I'm guessing that matching two of them has not proven very productive, or there would be as many around as the proverbial 'Arkansas bekko'. Imagine 100,000 fry, all albino koi. They would all be saleable until folks realized they were as common as gnats. Perhaps someone with experience breeding Kigoi will come along and educate us.

I bet Akame Kigoi is a simple autosomal recessive trait and the reason we do not see a lot of them is because they do not fetch a lot of money.

My first one i had for over 30 years and had to wait several years to get her when a japanese hobbyist got tired of it. It was an expensive fish. i have one currently, with exceptionally big genes, creating good size for it's age. She is from Marusei.Albino koi
    are primarily yellow but you can find an occassional white with red eyes. So rare they command big prices.

The genetics are recessive, so anything else is easily dominant.

Albino is the absence of melanin production. If it were a mere suppression, there would be examples of where the suppression factor would be limited or switched off with the result being melanin production at some stage within the life cycle - from birth to death albinos do not produce melanin.

Compare this to an example where melanin production is reduced as in dilution genes eg. a soragoi.

Tosai
    Hi, thanks for your replies. Firstly we probably dont see that many because how many breeders look at the eyes in the first or second or further kulls. MrBB hi, as always ready to answer our questions and give us more of your knowledge. So with Albinos not being able to produce melanin is this a missing genetic marker in the DNA for the specific fish and will this missing marker be passed on to either its egg or sperm. Or is it just a rare fluke of nature that happens. And yes I am probably over thinking this lol.

“Evolution of pigment synthesis pathways by gene and genome duplication in fish” http://www.readcube.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2148-7-74.

“Zebrafish pigmentation mutations and the processes of neural crest development” http://dev.biologists.org/content/123/1/369.full.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    Hi, thanks for your replies. Firstly we probably dont see that many because how many breeders look at the eyes in the first or second or further kulls. MrBB hi, as always ready to answer our questions and give us more of your knowledge. So with Albinos not being able to produce melanin is this a missing genetic marker in the DNA for the specific fish and will this missing marker be passed on to either its egg or sperm. Or is it just a rare fluke of nature that happens. And yes I am probably over thinking this lol.
    I am more the interested in why it is important for you to know the answers

Tosai
    MrBB, as you know I am on my way to "Tangles Bridge" and my knowledge is mostly obtained from the many Forums around. this particular fish was suggested at one point that it could be a blank canvas because of its inability to produce Melanin. As I have learnt more, using this line would not have any advantage whatsoever, but I was still curious about the absence of sumi.

Mr Tangles

Happy to hear you have reached the conclusion. I have read some of the comments elsewhere on using ki-koi as a parent and had become concerned about the advice given.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast