Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best koi food for growth

Quote Originally Posted by glupo View Post
    Thank you for this. Itry to buy in bulk i dont like to use last years food either. I want to be able to fee them the best that I could afford for them. Their a lot of brands that i dont even considere because i think there junk, just didnt know if their is anything new or what you guys are using. LIke i said i use Zeigler last year and it was good. just curious of everyone elses
    Out of curiosity, which brands do you consider "junk?"

Oyagoi
    but its not in my budget

i have about 120 6-9 koi this year.

Thank you
    here are the few things i am wondering about
    120 koi.
    what size pond,filtration ETC. and just can the pond handle all these koi esp when they get growing.

then the words budget
    why not have few koi
    say you have 40 koi now you could spend 3 times the amount per LB. since you have alot less koi
    so if looking at budget can your pond handle that many koi and less mouths to feed would be budget minded also

Hi ibe been researching for koi food for growth, last year i used Zielger and it was good, but always checking to see if anythign else new. I understand that saki or danchi could be better, but its not in my budget to spend $40+ for 5 lbs. i have about 120 6-9 koi this year.
    In that case... why not stay with the Zielger?

food

HEHEHE..... all you rich guys hate my choice in food but im stickin to it.....my neighbor saw my fish other day and said....have they gotten bigger?????? OF course they did.......fish chow makes them grow.....fat and happy....

Just for fun on these type of threads I'll slip in a very serious topic, no one ever picks up on it and they continue on with their opinions on making fat and happy fish. which tickles me no end.

But the topic of what to feed and how much and the type of body shapes that tosai and nisei have, has a lot to do with how they turn out. There is more to feeding fish then just pouring the food to them. Body structure has to be taken into consideration. Time of year and water temperature. Often i see shiro utsuri and showa over fed as tosai and the body is extended out and round but no meat in the thin tail tube. This continues out as they grow until you have a fish with a poor soft body, especially if female. i realize many don't show but those that do know that body shape is easily 50% of the scoring. Those that don't show, will often have females full of eggs and uncomfortable once they hit sexual maturity at the age of three. just sayin', there's more to just throwing feed at them now back to the important stuff....

Did i mention that silver cup is very economical as is rangen...( slowly fade to black )
    Dick Benbow

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Just for fun on these type of threads I'll slip in a very serious topic, no one ever picks up on it and they continue on with their opinions on making fat and happy fish. which tickles me no end.
    But the topic of what to feed and how much and the type of body shapes that tosai and nisei have, has a lot to do with how they turn out. There is more to feeding fish then just pouring the food to them. Body structure has to be taken into consideration. Time of year and water temperature. Often i see shiro utsuri and showa over fed as tosai and the body is extended out and round but no meat in the thin tail tube. This continues out as they grow until you have a fish with a poor soft body, especially if female. i realize many don't show but those that do know that body shape is easily 50% of the scoring. Those that don't show, will often have females full of eggs and uncomfortable once they hit sexual maturity at the age of three. just sayin', there's more to just throwing feed at them now back to the important stuff....
    Did i mention that silver cup is very economical as is rangen...( slowly fade to black )

So you are saying keep your one and two year olds in a separate pond from the three and four year olds?

Are you suggesting we feed Showa tosai different than Kohaku tosai?

I might try the Rangen Koi Staple, but would have to pass on the Silver Cup Bulk Fish Food.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    So you are saying keep your one and two year olds in a separate pond from the three and four year olds?

Are you suggesting we feed Showa tosai different than Kohaku tosai?

I might try the Rangen Koi Staple, but would have to pass on the Silver Cup Bulk Fish Food.

As hobbyist with limited water space or one pond, a feeding schedule that may be required for one group will have a negative effect effect on others.
    The trick is to plan a collection with this in mind and to find a middle way that would benefit most in the pond.

If there were separate ponds for tosai, nisai and mature koi (3 ponds), it would be possible to adjust feeding according to the special needs of each group. However, I do not know any hobbyists with the luxury of so many ponds. Even those of us with two ponds do not devote one to just tosai and nisai.

About 5 weeks ago I noticed that my big gals were gaining belly girth, looking as if the food was going more to egg production. So, I cut back some. If I was raising up some tosai this year, the reduction would be a negative for maximizing their growth. (I did not raise up any tosai in 2010 and mised them very much. This year there was no space without breaking my stocking rule. I already miss not having some little ones and have found myself thinking how cheerful it would be if there were 3 little Ogons racing around. ...Next year.)

90 out of a 100 koi keepers never see a koi web forum. And the koi of 9 out of the 10 who do look at a koi web forums will derive no real benefit from high end koi food. There is that 1 out of 10 here, that 1% overall that have fish and water of such quality that the benefit of high end food is real and even crucial to realize potential. But a staple product formulated for koi from a reputable producer will more than suffice for us in the 99%, I feed Blackwater Max. Koi never stop growing so feeding slow and steady (with due deference to season) works best 99% of the time.

Mike, it is both the bane and the blessing of the garden pond such as mine that each year the koi spawn. Flock spawn, what a mess, what a bunch of tateshita, so many gray and mottled ones, how am I ever going to catch that lot? But taragoi and tategoi to see and separate out! There is a little shiro bekko with intense kata sumi and shita zumi well placed. And an excellent hi bekko to boot, tight sumi, no goma sumi, like you never see. And there is a brilliant two step gin rin kohaku,and a single longfin sanke, and a blue skinned showa to watch whiten over the months, nisai now. However this year’s spawn seems less profuse with fewer fry venturing into sight. Always good: http://www.japan-nishikigoi.org/dictionary.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12